Like Tree17Likes

Salary negotiation help needed. I quoted salary expectation lower

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Salary negotiation help needed. I quoted salary expectation lower

Hi Guys,

I have an offer from a Bank in hong kong Quarry Bay. I work in the Digital Automation field (AI, RPA) and have been offered a Senior Project Manager Role. I had one round of discussion with Hr on salary. I quoted my salary expectation as 800,000.00 HKD dint negotiate the housing allowance. The HR bluntly said we can bump this salary up. I totally negated the rental costs and standard of living. Now I want to renegotiate the salary to include the housing allowance as part of the compensation or give a separate allowance ( I think both are same). Not sure how do I start the conversation. Any tips on the salary range for the role. They are in constant touch with me talking about projects and I know they really want me.

My personal details.

Indian.
    10 years experience ( 6 in operations banking, 4 in Transformation).
    Working as a Consultant currently. Good jump for me in terms of role.
    Married : no kids. Moving with wife.

Thank you. Would appreciate your help.

have u signed anything yet if not then tell HR that you overlooked housing and want to discuss it again. easy peasy lol

Tell them a bank in Wanchai just offered you 1.2 million.

chuckster007, Jaz Paul and kimwy66 like this.

Yes I will have a look at their figure what they offer if it's something that doesn't cover housing I ll negotiate. I just don't want to come across as uncertain my role mostly involves decision making

The bank is aware that I am talking to another bank as well. So they had my interviews a week before and started the salary discussion last Thursday. In that haste I didn't think through this.

They haven't told me about change of location. Are some banks moving out of quarry bay?

You could hold them at ransom saying you would need a higher salary ,if they move location during your contractual term since you'd be finding accommodation near to your workplace lol

Oh yeah. I was thinking about renting something at quarry bay. It was relatively cheaper. But I am unaware of how the other areas cost. Is there some sort of business districts banks are moving to. If the rental costs are significantly higher I wouldn't mind asking them to include a allowance. Thanks for that. But I am not sure if they are relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    You could hold them at ransom saying you would need a higher salary ,if they move location during your contractual term since you'd be finding accommodation near to your workplace lol
    This would be the stupidest reason to renegotiate salary. If I were the hiring manager I'd humbly request that the candidate grow up and fuck off.

Do you seriously think that any organisation would cater to such a request and have word get out that Mr Roger got a raise because he did not want to live in the neighbourhood?

Negotiate on your ability to make your company more money.
    @Roger1987 - Have you been to HK? Most if not all banks of any decent size will move to areas with easy access to public transport.
    TheBrit and Kowloon Goon like this.

Thank you for that shri. I haven't been to Hong kong. I just started researching a week ago and I am not aware of the rental costs, cost of living in general. I am now getting to know how expensive it is. I was dragged in to salary negotiations pretty much in two days after my interview. I have another offer in australia, but the role in HK interests me.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast