Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree43Likes

Should I accept the offer - Manager role <50k hkd?

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Not everyone needs to or wants to live in a 20K studio. If you're in early career stage and CV building, I can think of far worse places to be compared to HK, for $50K a month. Good accomodation can be found at 12-15K a month and less if you're willing to share with someone else.

One reason I would advise caution would be - if you get sent to a cheaper country after HK your company could potentially go "housing is 30% cheaper than HK" so you now have to take a salary cut. Establish a base level of what you're worth to the company and negotiate from there. Don't negotiate solely on cost of living.
    Thanks. I did post this in my OP, but just to confirm once more, I am not in early career stage. I've worked in extreme (worse & better) countries than HK. Whether I've a big/small house, I just prefer to stay by myself. I am looking at spending upto an year w/ this employer, & it is unlikely they'll be shifting my role off-shore. So, not really concerned about that.

Another - unless you make quantum leaps in earnings or move to better paying jobs/employers, your rental increases regardless of starting point (10 or 20K or 50K) will outpace your salary gains and you'll find your self constantly downgrading your lifestyle.
    I didn't really give it a thought as I'd pro'lly be moving out of HK after an year. Good point, with rents constantly going up, it'd be a challenge to keep shifting houses.

Establish a base level of what you're worth to the company and negotiate from there. Don't negotiate solely on cost of living.
    I really like this point. The client likes my portfolio, & what I bring to the table. But the recruiter is handling offer on their behalf & he always sounds scared as sh** to negotiate a better offer with them, and doesn't want me to leave this either..
    shri likes this.

To the OP,

Deposit 2 months + first month up front + half month agency fee + stamp duty + furniture's.

Usually a relocation package would include an allowance or a container. But this is not a given. You should read your offer closely, don't expect what's not written.

Is your company offering to sign the lease for you? If you sign a lease for 2 year with possible break after 14 months then if you lost your job or disliked HK and wanted to leave then you'd forfeit the deposit and be responsible for the remaining term. Usually the landlord just keeps the deposit and you can call it even.

If you lost your job, would you stay in HK to find another job? Your costs keep going and you won't have an income. It will take at minimum 3-6 months to find another job. Senior roles can take a year or longer.

jgl likes this.

Here's what transpired today. The recruiter gave a final offer of 45k, and kept insisting I take the offer now, which I once again refused to accept. He still hadn't talked to the client. While I was talking to him, the client (their dept head) sent me an email, asking whether the recruiter had a discussion with me & when I am arriving to HK. When I told him I ain't coming at 45k, he requested me to wait for 30 mins, & he will call me. I finished my call with the recruiter & got back to cooking lunch. And then the client called me directly, in about 20 mins, said you are coming to HK - made an offer of 75k, company provided lease for an apt & a full relocation package & support with the move.

I guess I'll be in HK by Nov end. I am glad I found this forum & asked you guys instead of listening to the recruiter. Thank you everyone for your help. Much Appreciated.!!!

Oh great news!! Happy to hear it all worked out!

expatmaybe_hk likes this.

It’s great news but I wonder what kind of payment scheme the recruiter had. When I worked with recruiters in the past they typically got a retainer based on a percentage of the total salary so they never tried to get someone in cheap. Maybe it’s a HK practice ? I never worked with recruiters here, just curious what they get paid on.

I guess they figure they'll take a sure cut of a smaller amount rather than risk getting nothing if the sides can't reach an agreement on a higher salary.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by expatmaybe_hk
    Here's what transpired today. The recruiter gave a final offer of 45k, and kept insisting I take the offer now, which I once again refused to accept. He still hadn't talked to the client. While I was talking to him, the client (their dept head) sent me an email, asking whether the recruiter had a discussion with me & when I am arriving to HK. When I told him I ain't coming at 45k, he requested me to wait for 30 mins, & he will call me. I finished my call with the recruiter & got back to cooking lunch. And then the client called me directly, in about 20 mins, said you are coming to HK - made an offer of 75k, company provided lease for an apt & a full relocation package & support with the move.

I guess I'll be in HK by Nov end. I am glad I found this forum & asked you guys instead of listening to the recruiter. Thank you everyone for your help. Much Appreciated.!!!
    Well done. You should be comfortable on that salary and package.

You're going to have to get the "maybe" taken out of your username now

Quote Originally Posted by expatmaybe_hk

Not only did you listen to the advice but you forced it through. Serious credit to you and you are clearly worth the money!

Drinks are on you when you arrive and get paid.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3