Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By KingJohn1979

Living in Tung Chung

Closed Thread

Living in Tung Chung

Hi

First im sorry i asked about the obvious thing for you guys, because the last post about living in Tung Chung is 7yrs old.

So our family and a 2 yo boy will move there next year from Bali, the weather here is Summer (almost) everyday. I know nothing about living in HK, ive been reading this forum but most of them are more than 7 yo threads, so i just want to know about the things i need to know about living in Tung Chung.

Ive scouted Tung Chung Crescent and Sea View Crescent just because it only need 3-10 min walk to the station and just to make my life easier.

Is there anything i need to know about the rent? the people? things (home appliances) i MUST have in apartment in summer or winter? which carrier or mobile plan is the best? which bank is the best? any suggestion on the nearest bar? cheapest place to buy wine or spirits? pediatrician? obgyn? clinics or public hospital or private hospital? how about most of landlords in tung chung? are they good or should i just wave goodbye on my deposits? any good child day care in tung chung? any good beauty salon nearby? how about the place to buy furniture?

is there is anything that you wish to know or warned or notify you before you move to HK?

anything about tung chung.
    anything at all.

thanks.

See all the threads about domestic helpers- very little to no day care anywhere in Hong Kong- many kindergartens take 2 year olds but just a few hours per week. So basically need a domestic helper to look after a 2 year old. There is an ESF kindergarten in Tung Chung so that's a place that will teach in English.

Which means finding a flat with a maid's room or third bedroom, plenty available in Tung Chung.

Landlords are mostly individual unit owners so are as varied as people are varied, good and bad.

Mostly the flats have the major appliances you need, maybe add a dehumidifier to the list.

Others will have more to add or check other threads for specifics regarding mobile phones and such (these are area-specific, best if you can get a pre-paid SIM on the same provider and make sure you get good service near where you intend to live.

kzvctrn likes this.

The rent will be HKD $21,000-26,000 for a 700-900 sq foot (usable area) place. The people are nice. Good mix of expats and locals. China Mobile is pretty cheap and good coverage. TC has a good mobile signal (next to airport). Banks are all the same. No decent bars in TC. Supermarket to by alcohol. Have good health insurance so you can choose. Private if planned, public if emergency (more Dr and facilities). Landlords in HK are awful. Don't trust them. They'll not want to give your deposit back for spurious reasons. Take lots of photos when you move in and assess the condition of the place. Let them know about anything which breaks or stops working. Schooling depends on what sort of education you want (UK, USA, AUS etc). ESF is a good start but basically it depends on your budget. Beauty salon?? a couple of poor hairdressers is about it. Geo Expat and Asia Expat always have lots of furniture which people are getting rid of as they are downsizing or leaving HK. Don't both buying new (especially IKEA) as you'll be getting rid of it in a couple of years when your forced to move. Overall TC has a nice vibe and is convenient. Good for kids and adults who still act like one.

kzvctrn likes this.

Why Tung Chung?

Try to get 2 week's rent free period when you sign the lease.

Welcome to HK!

Is there anything i need to know about the rent? the people? things (home appliances) i MUST have in apartment in summer or winter? which carrier or mobile plan is the best? which bank is the best? any suggestion on the nearest bar? cheapest place to buy wine or spirits? pediatrician? obgyn? clinics or public hospital or private hospital? how about most of landlords in tung chung? are they good or should i just wave goodbye on my deposits? any good child day care in tung chung? any good beauty salon nearby? how about the place to buy furniture?
    Spend a few more days browsing the forums.
    MandM! likes this.

Suggest to sign up for tung chung community facebook group. Very active community.

I can't recall all the questions I asked last year about living here (most about accommodations) but folks on this forum are very helpful, my questions certainly didn't cover all the aspects you need but check out my oldest posts to see what was answered.

First off I've never set foot in TC, it's a place I pass on the way to and from the airport. From what I've seen the rent is cheaper there than many areas, from what I've heard it's a bit of a soulless spot and it's certainly isolated from the rest of the city. It like many new towns it will have most of your shopping/service basics all covered.

On the upside you've got a massive country park/beautiful mountains/Disneyland in your backyard if you like the outdoors/theme parks, you can also reach central in 30mins if you taxi to airport and hop on express line (not cheap but...) for a needed night out at a bar, but there appears to be several bars at hotels and the like in TC...

Accommodation and furnishing the place were honestly the most challenging parts about moving here and were quite a source of stress, once your have that taken care of everything else will likely fall into place and you'll figure it out.

For mobile phones you can get a cheap $80/m 6GB+1000mins without contract and shop around for contract provider later.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the insight. Its just i'm moving to a place that completely different from weather and living style. I tried my best to cover all the angles so that i will be prepared of whats coming.

thanks.

Thank you Elle.
    Actually my husband is also an aircrew and we live in noisy part of Bali, so i dont mind a little bit of noise. With a 2 yo and an aircrew husband, we will be the noisy one. (my bad!!)

i just realize that my husband will get a company discount fare for the rapid transport to the airport, so i was thinking to live closer inland, say Tsing Yi or Kowloon? or maybe just Tsing Yi. So which one is better, Tsing Yi or Tung Chung?

Tsing Yi is a lot larger than the Tung Chung area, there is a MTR and the only station at the northeast, and residential areas scattered on the island. Mostly high rises with some village houses right next to bus and minibus stations in the central of the island.

I saw more expats or visitors arriving from the airport in TC than TY. TY is closer to the busy shopping areas of Kwai Fong and Tsuen Wan and of course Kowloon and HK Island.