Like Tree22Likes

To import car or buy new out there?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I read somewhere there might be a discount on the FRT if you've owned the car for a certain amount of time in the UK. So the tax isn't an issue. It's the process involved in importing a car. Do you speak Cantonese? I often find a lot of people "don't know" and "don't care" to help you here.

If you're up for the challenge, by all means.
    Apparently you have to hsve owned it for minimum 6 months in the uk otherwise they think you are importing it to sell basically. However no discount on FRT tax.

dont speak cantoneese and your “if you’re up for the challenge” question has def made up my mind. I am already drowning in paperwork and trying to find a house - zero interest in adding to that if it doesnt make much difference financially! Def not up for the challenge!

Make sure you are physically here when looking for a flat and check everything works and in the condition you are willing to accept it. Check for convenience and nearby construction projects, traffic issues, and how to get where you need to go, the supermarket and your place of work.

No one will point these things out to you.

Thanks - i was planning to start a seperate thread on this. We want to move in at the end of jan but i am there with husband mid nov to look at places (i could come back again after xmas for like 3 days if we dont find anything mid-nov but hoping not to).

Agents are telling us the market moves v fast - although we are looking in cwb and sai kung so not sure thats as quick as other places on the island. So worst case we might have to put a deposit on somewhere and pay rent from end of dec if we love it mid-nov as they prob wont hold it with just a depisit till end of jan...

Sorry - one last question on the car....does anyone lease out there and does it make sense to do so? Or better just to buy? We plan to stay for 3 years...

Quote Originally Posted by mryatt:
    Sorry - one last question on the car....does anyone lease out there and does it make sense to do so? Or better just to buy? We plan to stay for 3 years...
    Not really. However Mercedes has a new program that lets you return the car after a set period of time with no money owed. Albeit I'm sure it's the same as buying it and then selling it after 2-3 years. Not sure how they view mileage or scratches either.
    mryatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Not really. However Mercedes has a new program that lets you return the car after a set period of time with no money owed. Albeit I'm sure it's the same as buying it and then selling it after 2-3 years. Not sure how they view mileage or scratches either.

Yup and with the majority of hk’s Weekend drivers expect your car to get scratched to hell in car parks etc.

So have the number of a good repair shop and valeter ready!

Quote Originally Posted by mryatt:
    Hi,

We plan to live in either Sai Kung or CWB so we definatley need a car.

its interesting that you say the second hand car market is cheap - other people have been telling me its more expensive than the uk?

even more confused now!
    I live in Sai Kung and I definitely don't need a car.

I lived in Clear Water bay for 11 years and I had a car, it made life MUCH easier.

MandM! and imparanoic like this.

beware, unlike uk, due to lack of consumer protection, a lot of hk car dealers clock cars and have false history, best to either buy from official distributor used cars or if you buy used, hire the hkaa engineerer or a garage mechanic who u know to check the car which you will purchase.

You can pick up amazingly low mileage second hand cars at very affordable prices. Wait till you get here. See if you need a car and just look on Asiaxpat and here (obvs) there are very good deals on older models. e.g. vgc BMW 3 series convertibles are available here at a fraction of UK prices. Or if you need a family SUV then Volvo XC90 or BMW X5s are also plentiful and cheap.

mryatt likes this.