Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenCatalonia
  • 3 Post By merchantms

Living in Mid-Levels Central with Kids?

Living in Mid-Levels Central with Kids?

Hi, looking to relocate in the new year. Have explored a few neighbourhoods, and our 1st choice apartment is in Mid-Levels Central, right by the Botanical Gardens. I'll have 2 kids going to school in Aberdeen, and an 8month old baby, hubby will work in Central. Would I be able to meet mummy friends? How do you rate it, as a neighbourhood for a young family?
    (We're also considering Pok Fu Lam, and whilst it's definitely more open and peaceful, I'm also wary I might feel a little isolated?)

Cool

(We're also considering Pok Fu Lam, and whilst it's definitely more open and peaceful, I'm also wary I might feel a little isolated?)

[Watch out !! You will not find favor with Shri! He like me, lives in PFL, but for the present - we are in Christchurch N.Z & touring the chilly, most of the time, country!!!

But we must get away to a 04:09 [HK time] breakfast !!!

]
    shri likes this.

You're not going to meet mummy friends on the street. It will be through your children's school most likely, then within your building perhaps. On Geobaby you can find a group for your 8 month old. In my due date group people live all over and there are meetups in Mid Levels, Wanchai, Kowloon, Kennedy Town, etc. Hard to imagine anywhere on HK Island that you'd be properly isolated.

As for between Mid-Levels Central and Pokfulam, it depends on the building. A complex like Bel-Air or Scenic Villa is great for families and your children will have friends in no time. Same for places in Mid Levels. But if it's a block with few flats or a lot of older people, then that's going to be a bit harder.

I'd also say if your children are at school in Aberdeen there will be a sizable contingent of families living in Pokfulam.

I would suggest looking at Ap Lei Chau - close to Aberdeen for the kids and not too far by MTR or taxi for husband and lots of parks and waterfront to walk around.

Botanical Garden is nice, but getting up and down the hill is not the easiest and transportation in mid-levels can be quite frustrating at times.

Botanical Garden is just a small park. I don't prefer the HK Island because of the terrain. Mid-Levels and some of Pok Fu Lam are in the middle of the Peak's slope, if you prefer to live somewhere flat, you have other choices. PFL is less densely populated but for shopping may need to goto the densely more populated areas. It is not isolated but not served by MTR. Aberdeen is pretty good for locals or Asians, with daily shopping, mountains for walking to the north of it, no MTR but 5-10 mins by minibus from Wong Chuk Hang MTR station. South Horizons on Ap Lei Chau opposite from Aberdeen has a MTR Station, a small wet market and Park n Shop with less shopping than Aberdeen. It is a very highly built estate on flat land alone the shore.