Like Tree25Likes

Moving with family (2 kids)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you so much for the ideas\advice. Referring to schools as both my kids speak neither English nor German or French or other West European languages (we come from Eastern Europe) has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you manage it with school?

Actually I do not see an option different than the private INT schools however from what I read there are also some alternatives to those schools. Alternatives excluding public schools. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KStrophe:
    Thank you so much for the ideas\advice. Referring to schools as both my kids speak neither English nor German or French or other West European languages (we come from Eastern Europe) has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you manage it with school?

Actually I do not see an option different than the private INT schools however from what I read there are also some alternatives to those schools. Alternatives excluding public schools. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!
    If your children do not speak English and there is not an International school here that teaches in the language they do speak, then they are unlikely to find a school willing to take them in. Most specify that the child must be fluent in the language used for teaching. It would be best if you are seriously considering the move to commence intensive English lessons before moving to give them some hope of passing the entrance interviews. Likely they will pick up the language quickly once in school, but getting them accepted is the issue.

The non-international schools you might be thinking about are English medium semi-public schools. Again, without English you will struggle to get them in and they are fiercely competitive for entry.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If your children do not speak English and there is not an International school here that teaches in the language they do speak, then they are unlikely to find a school willing to take them in. Most specify that the child must be fluent in the language used for teaching. It would be best if you are seriously considering the move to commence intensive English lessons before moving to give them some hope of passing the entrance interviews. Likely they will pick up the language quickly once in school, but getting them accepted is the issue.

The non-international schools you might be thinking about are English medium semi-public schools. Again, without English you will struggle to get them in and they are fiercely competitive for entry.
    Delia take them in, at least used to, when they are not fluent and then have intensive English classes to get them up to speed. Whether they would take them in with no English I don't know.
    Golem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KStrophe:

Thanks!
    Delia School of Canada has a program for children who don't speak English. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Delia take them in, at least used to, when they are not fluent and then have intensive English classes to get them up to speed. Whether they would take them in with no English I don't know.
    Good to know, although seriously limited options if that is the only one. In a year or so their English will be fluent enough to go for other schools though.

Personally, I wouldn’t do the move, my experience coming with a six year old is that the move is overall a regret. Of course we never intended to stay this long, but that’s often the case. Might have been ok for a couple of years, but I doubt the upheaval would have resulted in a net positive.
    Mrs. Jones and KStrophe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That's correct, Delia is an excellent choice for kids who lack English skills and it's cheaper than many international schools. It doesn't have all the bells and whistle but it's a decent option.

For anyone with young children, seriously considering the issues around pollution is a must. It isn't just the immediately obvious effects for children who may have asthma or other health concerns, it is the long-term impact of having the small particulates in lungs from a very young age.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...us-health-risk

TheBrit, hullexile and aw1981 like this.