Like Tree60Likes

Possible move to HK from North Yorkshire (UK)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Possible move to HK from North Yorkshire (UK)

Hi

There is a chance that my family and I will be relocating to HK within the next academic year. The job I am applying for is an Assistant Principal role at an International School so any information from members who have already made a similar move would be great. I have no idea what the salary is; the advert says 'an excellent and internationally competitive package of benefits' so again, if anyone feels they may be able to shed a little light on what a usual package may be, this would also be helpful as it is difficult to budget accommodation or education for my children (8 and 4) without this.

I am very excited but also a little apprehensive about this potential move so if anyone is able to spare the time to share their experiences, I would be truly grateful.

Thanks
    Amy

Why are you looking at jobs in Hong Kong if you are not sure about the move here? What are your plans for your better half?

North Yorkshire (biggest town York - 200,000 people) to Hong Kong. Could they be more different!

Accommodation and education costs will / could be your biggest expenses. Make sure the position caters for this - perhaps the school will provide free education for the kids. Even with a generous housing package, you are highly likely to be downsizing in terms of space.

I'd strongly recommend visiting Hong Kong just to make sure it is somewhere you'd want to live.

misshappy26 likes this.

I assume as a Assistant Principal your children would get a placement at your school with tuition either fully or 80% covered. Benefits should include housing allowance or accommodation, health insurance, bonuses, etc. Basically, you'll be nicely taken care of and if you're semi-frugal you'll save a ton of money.

I'd be more worried about stress and working hours though if I were you. With great perks comes great responsibility.

AmyRoss and Jaz Paul like this.

Keep in mind the working culture in HK isn't exactly like in North Yorkshire. Actually, nothing in HK is like North Yorkshire. And thinking about coming with kids? Wow, very brave.

Some thrive, many leave HK after a year. Relocating to HK is a young person's game. Wouldn't recommend it to a family.

I lived there for almost a decade, now stress free and living a peaceful life in Toronto.

jimbo and Mrs. Jones like this.

I’ve applied for a job and am meeting the Head in January. If successful, we will be moving. Wanted advice and support prior to move. Hope that makes sense. My husband will initially be looking after children until they’re settled then perhaps getting something after that.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyRoss:
    I’ve applied for a job and am meeting the Head in January. If successful, we will be moving. Wanted advice and support prior to move. Hope that makes sense. My husband will initially be looking after children until they’re settled then perhaps getting something after that.
    I'm sure someone else will comment on the madness of that proposition.

Why Hong Kong anyway? It's the big bad dog eat dog world. Have you lived abroad before? Lived in Asia? Visited HK? Just seems like a crazy thing for a family to do, especially on one salary.

In a nutshell...and this is a nutshell...I want to let my children get as many experiences as possible. Life is about taking risks sometimes and we can always come back, this doesn’t have to be forever. It could be the most amazing thing we ever do, or not work out, but how will we know if we never try?!

I moved from Yorkshire (my username gives that away) to Hong Kong. Also in education in management.

Your big costs will be housing (insanely high) and schooling so you want those covered in the package you might be offered.

I am with you on "life is about experiences". My kids lived in three countries in the space of a few years. You should also have a decent amount of money so can explore other countries and cultures in the holidays. Could be a very exciting adventure and educational for your kids.

There are negatives to Hong Kong though such as pollution and crowds which you and your family should be aware of before moving. I lasted 6 years before leaving. Very glad I made the move but would not move back to Hong Kong even if I could afford it.

Thanks so much hullexile, it’s reasurring to know it’s not all that bad . We are doing a lot of research and even if it’s just 2 years, I’ll never have any regrets. You’re right, it will be the benefits and package on offer that will be the make or break of this particular opportunity but the thought excites me which is surely a good thing! Where in the world are you now?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast