Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Considering move to HK: questions about lifestyle

That’s a little over $11,000 per month. Not bad. Kowloon Tong is a wealthy area. Mostly at least. Nice area. So living there might be expensive. If you don’t like the nightlife too much plus you like being away from it all then you can move outward from Kowloon Tong. New Territories? They have less expensive housing. As we all generally know about HK is that the most expensive part is the housing. Rent or buy.
    Personally I like HK Island side more. More to do. Better Bars. Restaurants. Lan Kwai Fong is there. Great for a drink. Plus the infamous Wan Chai area. Since you will be on the side of Kowloon then you both will have to get a drink at Ozone! It’s at the top of the sleek looking Ritz Carlton hotel! At 118 stories high! Incredible view on a clear day! I once took some photos from up there and sent them to friends in Los Angeles. They thought I had taken the photos from an airplane! Anyway, good luck! HK is great. My favorite Asian city.

aw1981 likes this.

If you're going to be working in Kowloon Tong and don't particularly want to live in the city, then there are many options in the New Territories, which are easily accessible from Kowloon Tong via the East Rail line. I live in Fanling, which is 30 minutes from KT, but as other comments have pointed out, there are other options further south (Taipo, Shatin) that would cut your commute time. I can't comment on gym/swimming options, but all the locations I've mentioned have good cycling and hiking opportunities, which would give you the chance to see what nature is like in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by lofuji
    If you're going to be working in Kowloon Tong and don't particularly want to live in the city, then there are many options in the New Territories, which are easily accessible from Kowloon Tong via the East Rail line. I live in Fanling, which is 30 minutes from KT, but as other comments have pointed out, there are other options further south (Taipo, Shatin) that would cut your commute time. I can't comment on gym/swimming options, but all the locations I've mentioned have good cycling and hiking opportunities, which would give you the chance to see what nature is like in Hong Kong.
    fanling to taipo dedicated cycling path, it's really decent and lovely at this time of the year,the op will like it as it goes pass tolo harbour/pak shek kok area as well, i like cycling at night time, but sunrise is the best time overall
    lofuji and aw1981 like this.

$85k/mo, no kids, work at Kowloon Tong. Hong Kong can be paradise under these conditions.

kamoteboy911 and aw1981 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond
    That’s a little over $11,000 per month. Not bad. Kowloon Tong is a wealthy area. Mostly at least. Nice area. So living there might be expensive. If you don’t like the nightlife too much plus you like being away from it all then you can move outward from Kowloon Tong. New Territories? They have less expensive housing. As we all generally know about HK is that the most expensive part is the housing. Rent or buy.
    Personally I like HK Island side more. More to do. Better Bars. Restaurants. Lan Kwai Fong is there. Great for a drink. Plus the infamous Wan Chai area. Since you will be on the side of Kowloon then you both will have to get a drink at Ozone! It’s at the top of the sleek looking Ritz Carlton hotel! At 118 stories high! Incredible view on a clear day! I once took some photos from up there and sent them to friends in Los Angeles. They thought I had taken the photos from an airplane! Anyway, good luck! HK is great. My favorite Asian city.
    Lots to explore and look forward to Glenn!
    imparanoic likes this.

Rent a storey or room at a village house in mainland NT or a cheap small room in urban Kowloon are cheap options. Kowloon Tong is walkable from very Chinese areas including old densely built areas and public housing estates. It is only one station from Mong Kok East and two from Prince Edward where the locals have HK style shopping, eating and entertainment. Less expat nightlife in Kowloon than HK Island. But HK Island's terrain sucks. Slopes and stairs, lack of flat land. Central and Causeway Bay shopping and eating are more expensive Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po. From Kowloon Tong you can go to many areas quickly by MTR but packed trains in peak hours. Taxis mostly if you are returning in mid night.

aw1981 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2