Like Tree19Likes

Considering move to HK: questions about lifestyle

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering move to HK: questions about lifestyle

Hi all,

I've received a job offer (85k/month, inclusive of housing allowance) to work in Kowloon Tong. My wife and I (no kids yet) are trying to figure out the kind of lifestyle we would have and are looking for recommendations for areas to stay in.

Things that are important to us:

• I'm hoping to keep my commute time below 45 minutes.
    • Being close to the city isn't that important - we prefer nature/outdoor activities and aren't much into partying.
    • Swimming/gym is quite important to us, so we're mainly going to be looking at places that either have a pool onsite (that is open until at least 9:00pm) or, alternatively, are sufficiently close to a beach.

Are these things realistically achievable with the offered salary?

Thanks!

Would not worry about it, as long as you don't have kids. Specially kids of school going age.

Hong Kong has a lot to offer, you could add more about what you like to do daily, your hobbies, etc. Many people choose where to live based upon their daily life and conveniences. Also, what does your wife want to do while you are working? I imagine easy access to food and restaurants, want to try the local restaurants or need the western ones. You can live close to the beach but then you might need to add more time to get food.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Would not worry about it, as long as you don't have kids. Specially kids of school going age.
    Hi shri, I have a similar offer but have 1 child. Would this be a unliveable salary with a child who needs schooling?

To the OP:
    Easily achievable. Some things to keep in mind:
    -Living in the New Territories is cheaper, and close to nature. Win-win.
    -If you're in the NT and on the East Rail Line, it's direct to Kowloon Tong.
    -Lots of pools around.
    -It can be hard to find a studio/1-bedroom in the NT; this is a family-oriented city and, especially once you're off Hong Kong Island, there's not a lot of middle ground between the various "micro-apartments" and the ocean of 3-bedroom apartments. They exist, but they're not the norm.
    -General rule of thumb: the more English-language-friendly a place is, the more expensive it is. For apartment complexes, especially, ones that market more toward expats are going to be more expensive. Up to you what challenges you're willing to navigate.
    -Expect to pay a relatively high portion of your salary on rent. Economics of HK is that, unless you're in some sort of public/semi-public housing, rental costs are insane for what you get. The good news is that pretty much everything else can be cheap if you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by aw1981:
    Hi shri, I have a similar offer but have 1 child. Would this be a unliveable salary with a child who needs schooling?
    I think its entirely ok - ESF and many other school fees are reasonable. As long as your balance the costs out it is a very reasonable salary for a good lifestyle, holidays and savings.
    aw1981 and civil_servant like this.

Very achievable especially as you don't really have a reason to live on HK Island. Shatin/Tai Po area might work for you and there are apartment complexes with gyms and pools.

aw1981, imparanoic and Vaughn.T like this.

Thanks so much shri and merchantms!

Pak Shek Kok area along To Lo harbour seems to be ideal for you, luxury apartments such as providence bay next to promenade shoud have gyms facilities and swimming pool, best aspect, should be around 30-35mins to kowloon tong commuting wise

aw1981 likes this.

That’s a little over $11,000 per month. Not bad. Kowloon Tong is a wealthy area. Mostly at least. Nice area. So living there might be expensive. If you don’t like the nightlife too much plus you like being away from it all then you can move outward from Kowloon Tong. New Territories? They have less expensive housing. As we all generally know about HK is that the most expensive part is the housing. Rent or buy.
    Personally I like HK Island side more. More to do. Better Bars. Restaurants. Lan Kwai Fong is there. Great for a drink. Plus the infamous Wan Chai area. Since you will be on the side of Kowloon then you both will have to get a drink at Ozone! It’s at the top of the sleek looking Ritz Carlton hotel! At 118 stories high! Incredible view on a clear day! I once took some photos from up there and sent them to friends in Los Angeles. They thought I had taken the photos from an airplane! Anyway, good luck! HK is great. My favorite Asian city.

aw1981 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast