Like Tree6Likes

Can I include other services in my housing allowance?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You can include rent, management fees, government rent, rates. Usually when you rent an apartment you pay rent inclusive of those other costs.

You cannot charge 'services' to rental reimbursement. I also doubt very much the landlord would want to include much more unless they are having problems renting the unit, as imagine if your internet wasn't working properly or the cleaning services weren't up to standard - just more trouble for them to deal with.

You can negotiate furnishings and appliances into the unit which will then be reflected on an appendix to the Tenancy Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Says kitchenette, OP is looking for a full kitchen to cook meals in. The kitchenette in our serviced apartment was totally unsuitable for a keen cook - which I used to be before moving to Hong Kong!

jgl

Get big place and rent out a room!

Looks good enough to me for a DINK couple. Anyways, was simply suggesting that at 58K 2 two bedroom serviced apartment is certainly achievable if you want to throw in cleaning and other conveniences.

Their bigger problem is the salary @ 38K, certainly going to have to limit their gourmetness.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  481.1 KB

The salary for both of you working seems very low.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looks good enough to me for a DINK couple. Anyways, was simply suggesting that at 58K 2 two bedroom serviced apartment is certainly achievable if you want to throw in cleaning and other conveniences.

Their bigger problem is the salary @ 38K, certainly going to have to limit their gourmetness.

One of the nicest kitchens in Hong Kong - this is saying something

What an odd package, OP. I would rather have less housing allowance and more salary. Is your company in the property business by chance? Are they going to recommend you places to stay too, or do you have free reign?

The employer CANNOT allow services in if they are going to put the housing allowance on the tax form. The Government is very clear about what it is (and not) for tax.

Make sure to at least include carpark and electricity, gas & water in the rental contract. Expect to overpay for having these included. For example look for flats that cost around 50k, include carpark and add 4k per month to have electricity etc included. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The employer CANNOT allow services in if they are going to put the housing allowance on the tax form. The Government is very clear about what it is (and not) for tax.
    Pretty sure serviced apartments qualify for the rental reimbursement scheme. They tend to include maid service, electricity etc

From their residential allowance guide:

Name:  Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 7.20.21 AM.png
Views: 164
Size:  260.7 KB

HK_Katherine and Fiona in HKG like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2