Like Tree6Likes

Can I include other services in my housing allowance?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Can I include other services in my housing allowance?

Hello! My boyfriend and I (a young couple without kids) are moving to Hong Kong due to work relocation. Our package includes a decent housing allowance of 58k/monthly but a low salary of 35k (after Italian tax). Since we don’t need a very big space, is it possible to include services like part time cleaning or some fixed-priced bills like internet to use up the entire housing allowance? We were considering staying in a serviced apartment but as our parents travel around Asia quite a lot and we love cooking, we would prefer a place with a guest bedroom and a full kitchen. 58k doesn’t seem enough for that kind of serviced apartment on the island, is it?

58k more than enough... Try Taikoo Place.

In your situation I would suggest either:

A) a two bedroom apartment and furnish it yourself - if company provides any help towards furniture you can check

B) a one bedroom serviced apartment in a great location with great facilities, and just pay hotel when your parents visit

I think it's unlikely your company will allow you to use your housing allowance towards cleaning or internet, they usually ask for a rental receipt from the landlord and cover it against that. The only way around that as you've picked up is to go to a serviced apartment where it's all included in the monthly fee.

Sorry, my mistake: we’re looking in the area between Kennedy Town and Wan Chai.

58k doesn’t seem enough for that kind of serviced apartment on the island, is it?
    Certainly not the four seasons, but you can indeed find some good quality serviced apartments in that range.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Certainly not the four seasons, but you can indeed find some good quality serviced apartments in that range.
    Two bedrooms and a full kitchen? I'm not sure about that.

I think it's unlikely your company will allow you to use your housing allowance towards cleaning or internet, they usually ask for a rental receipt from the landlord and cover it against that.
    Is it not common/possible to negotiate with the landlord to include these costs in the price of rent? We found some really nice apartments in mid-levels for around 45k and it feels like a waste not to use the remaining 13k... A full time helper would not even cost that much, right?

Hey,

It differs per company policy for sure. For example, in the company i work at, if you do not use the entire amount on the house/apartment then you can use the remainder to lease other things ie furniture or appliances.

With that amount, I'd recommend you just rent a nice furnished apartment and make a deal with the owner to send help every week or so to clean with the total amount of your rent already reflecting those other services

Quote Originally Posted by Gisellandia:
    Is it not common/possible to negotiate with the landlord to include these costs in the price of rent? We found some really nice apartments in mid-levels for around 45k and it feels like a waste not to use the remaining 13k... A full time helper would not even cost that much, right?
    No it's not common and HK landlords are not known for their flexibility.

Just get an apartment that costs $58K, then you're not wasting it. Everyone I know with a housing allowance maxes it out.

Also just as an FYI getting a part time cleaner is not particularly expensive so even on $35K a month post-rent you are not going to be going broke paying for cleaning, internet, or any of these smaller bills. Rent is the killer and you have it covered so I wouldn't stress about the rest.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast