Like Tree34Likes

Tips and advice for blending in easier after moving to Hong Kong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Let me be a bit blunt.

No matter how long you live in Hong Kong, and I lived there for 46% of my life, you will never be accepted as a local etc.

It's such a contrast compared to the multicultural general cohesiveness I'm used to now and yes, finally being local again, is very comforting.

(Meanwhile in Sunny Queensland)
    We enjoyed a Chinese New Year festival that our wonderful council organises every year, and we loved it! it was so inclusive and everybody from all walks, got into it.

Great family event, must admit, I really missed these things like crazy, the whole time I was away.. HK is really crap at that sort of stuff.

It's also nice to enjoy festivals and family friendly events that aren't ruined by over crowding and we've been to some biggish ones since, all ran smoothly, easy to get in and out of the car park and the kids could see the event fine..

HK always ended up in tears with my kids when trying to enjoy outdoor events, always disappointing, compared to our easy going experiences in Australia, France, Belgium, Italy and Holland.

MerMer likes this.

no means yes.
    no never means no
    yes can mean no
    yes can mean yes but they'll never say yes

Leave your pride at home.

The Chinese are tremendously proud and you must always give face unless you want to build a long enemies list waiting for the chance to take you down.

This is the same as anywhere in Asia. However, Asians don't resort to violence due to all the legal & penalties issues, so they do things in a very different way.

Keep smiling people.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    However, Asians don't resort to violence .
    Um I have a feeling that might not be totally true - no violence reported anywhere in Asia?

However, Asians don't resort to violence due to all the legal & penalties issues
    What nonsense...

The Chinese are tremendously proud and you must always give face unless you want to build a long enemies list waiting for the chance to take you down.

This is the same as anywhere in Asia. However, Asians don't resort to violence due to all the legal & penalties issues, so they do things in a very different way.

Keep smiling people.
    Talk about a good laugh

This lady and many of her colleagues might have a slightly different view just to start there. Murder rate is twice as high in the Philippines as the US. Maybe they are not asian enough for you? Thailand's murder rate is three times of what it is in Europe? Shall we go on to sexual assault and violence against women?
    Last edited by Golem; 16-02-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Keep smiling people.
    Congratulations, you have got me, golem and east coast to agree on something.
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    Talk about a good laugh

This lady and many of her colleagues might have a slightly different view just to start there. Murder rate is twice as high in the Philippines as the US. Maybe they are not asian enough for you? Thailand's murder rate is three times of what it is in Europe? Shall we go on to sexual assault and violence against women?
    Neither are Asian enough for me.

Asia is the Sinosphere + Japan (aka orientals). Basically Chopstick countries. These are safer than Western and European countries by far. I have no comments about TH and PH and they are worlds apart from the Oriental nations anways.

A bunch of sensitive people on here.

Guess Laughing too much is pretty silly, eh? I'm having a laugh now.

Leave your pride at home please.

Neither are Asian enough for me.

Asia is the Sinosphere + Japan (aka orientals). Basically Chopstick countries. These are safer than Western and European countries by far. I have no comments about TH and PH and they are worlds apart from the Oriental nations anways.

A bunch of sensitive people on here.

Guess Laughing too much is pretty silly, eh? I'm having a laugh now.

Leave your pride at home please.
    Well done for rewriting geography. What continent does India belong to then for example?

Stupidity knows no bounds.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast