Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By cookie09
  • 2 Post By Golem
  • 5 Post By HK_Katherine

Moving to HK in March...would love your thoughts

Moving to HK in March...would love your thoughts

I am moving to HK in the middle of March and before I make a decision on where to stay temporarily during apartment hunting I would love your thoughts on the following:

• Typically, when do rental apartments become available? Is it usually the 1st of the month or is there a good amount of inventory available mid month?
    • How far ahead are apartments rented out? If I start looking for apartments around March 20th, what are my chances of finding a good deal on an apartment within 10-15 days?
    • Any tips when it comes to apartment hunting? My budget is HKD20,000 - 22,000 and am looking for a 1 bedroom in a relatively new building outside of the prominent areas of HK Island.

The three answers are
    - it's continuous and ongoing
    - 99%
    - come here first in a serviced appt or hostel and find something in the short term

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    The three answers are
    - it's continuous and ongoing
    - 99%
    - come here first in a serviced appt or hostel and find something in the short term
    Finding an acceptable apartment? 99% sure. Finding a good deal? 0.1% There are very very few good deals when it comes to finding a place in HK. Keep your expectations very very low and then maybe you won't be too shocked to see for what you get for that price and be prepared to visit at least a dozen places.
    coffee_break and z754103 like this.

You can find 1-2 bedrooms 350-450 sq ft easily for that price in a newer building in a good location.

You can rent anytime, there are many options on the market. For your price range, move-in within 1-2 weeks is optimal, or at least start paying the rent soon.

A good deal might not be a good deal. There are plenty of people looking for places to live and limited housing stock. If someone doesn't want it, there is probably a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!

A good deal might not be a good deal. There are plenty of people looking for places to live and limited housing stock. If someone doesn't want it, there is probably a reason.
    There are exceptions to every rule. Go for somewhere that someone has died in recently. That should bring the price down for no good reason.

Any particular area of HK you don't mind living? Do you want to be heart of the action and live in a shoe box or do you prefer to live in Kowloon, modern built apartment such as Pacifica in lai Chi Kok Kowloon or harbour place in Hung hom bay at around 600 sq ft ?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    There are exceptions to every rule. Go for somewhere that someone has died in recently. That should bring the price down for no good reason.
    Practical and helpful advice for anyone prepared to commit murder to ease the strains of house hunting.

There's a nice conversation with agents if you want to appear very normal: Sooo do you have any place available where someone has died recently? The gorier the better too... uh uh...

The agents have a list of these so called haunted property. No need for murder. Locals are scared of ghosts so avoid them making them cheaper for.the rational.

Cookie09 said it right. Its correct. Just follow this. Especially number three. Come first. Stay at a low to mid $ hotel or hostel then look around. Its usually the best way to not have surprises when you move in.