Like Tree33Likes

Moving to Ma On Shan - General HK Questions

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

another note, it's pointless bringing your US TV or large appliances from USA to HK, as the electricity in HK is 240v but the US TV and most appliances from US use only 120v, you need a large and step down converter which uses a lot electricity

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy:
    I think my employer is trying to be helpful and doesn't want me to worry. I've pushed a couple time and he keeps stressing that we should live at the place in MOS. When my admin went out looking at apartments for me, she was unable to find any that allowed dogs. Because of this The Chairman came over from Shenzhen on Saturday and went apartment hunting on my behalf.

Part of it is also that The Chairman is a very humble man. He is worth a mind-boggling amount of money yet wears no designer clothes or jewelry and takes the metro everywhere. When we have traveled together in the past, he always sits in economy, even for long haul flights. When I first met him 7 years ago, he simply introduced himself by his first name and said he was from the China team, I only found out who he was when our global president asked why I was taking all my meals with the Chairman of the Chinese JV. I believe that he wants me to really dig in for the first year and focus 90% of my time and energy on work, which I am OK with and my wife supports.

I am not surprised that your boss signed the lease without you viewing it. It actually makes sense for Chinese bosses. I am not sure how much you know about Chinese culture. They are efficient, as long as you talk to the top man. Chinese boss can be hospitable for the reason that he thinks that's good for you, sometimes it can turn into micromanagement, even feeling like mothering/fathering. If your company is a private company, budgeting everything is the top priority.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to pop in with an update.

I have been in HK for over a week now.

The flat is lovely. Small but very workable and brand new. I am the first person to live in the unit, and the building is so new there are still plastic coverings in the elevator, lobby etc. It is a luxury building with two layers of security to get into the lobby, pretty decent gym and steam/sauna in each locker room and an outdoor pool.

I'm really digging the proximity to MOStown to get all my shopping done as well as catch the metro, which only takes a few stops to get me into the office.

I will be back in the states in June and plan to bring the dog over then.

Work is hard. The political landscape is interesting. I am currently in the office @ 7pm on a Saturday night, but so is my Chairman. We will work tomorrow as well, but I value the alone time with him apart from the rest of the team.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback! It helped me make the jump! I am very glad to be here.

Original Post Deleted
    It's a nice building but I the flats are quite small (largest 1br is 275 sqft I think). I live with my wife and it's been tough under the current semi lockdown and work from home setup. If you have a motorbike you can park for free next to the bike path, or get an indoor space in the building for 800hkd/mo. I go to Tsuen Wan often to do work in the datacenter in global gateway and it takes me less than 20 mins. Today I'm in datacenters in TKO and on the bike it was only about 30-35 mins.

I am strongly considering moving to a village house in sai Kung or Clearwater bay so we can have more space and bring our dog over, have kids, get a helper, etc
    mucaari likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, 360 HKD a year for bicycle spot inside the gate, but many people just lock them up on a fence on the side street

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6