Like Tree4Likes

Moving to Hong Kong from UK to work in Wan Chai - where would be good to stay?

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,333
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    It is not far in terms of distance, but the two changes on that route (at Yau Ma Tei and Admiralty) are two of the worst ones at rush hour.
    i been on this journey many times, it's kowloon tong and tst are the worst interchange in the morning, yau ma tei to tsuen wan line is fine and so is admirality to island at 8.30/45am, it's only admirality bad on 5.50pm on the way back, then you also have wan chai bus to hung hom or the ferry as back up

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    12

    Well you are correct. But if 18 Mins + the walking distance, I believe living in Wanchai or Causeway Bay is still comparably closer, right? And timesaving too.

    The suggestion of visiting Broadway Cinematheque (Yau Ma Tei) is because he is a film lover, who want to go to cinema, talk and sharing with others, but it is of course good to have a decent home cinema system too.

    Nevertheless, let's shared our opinions and I am sure Filmlover will make a good decision.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7

    Thank you for this, I will definitely need to look for apartments in that area then (Yau Ma Tei).

    I would prefer larger apartments though - I was viewing some last week while in Hong Kong and as someone who likes to stay indoors and watch a film on a Sunday afternoon find it difficult to do that in such a cramped setting without it impacting one's mental health over the long term.

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Hung Hom is a bit far away from Wanchai with traffic jam almost every morning. If you are going to work in Wanchai, you could consider Wanchai or Causeway Bay, then you could further check those units in Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan and Kennedy Town.

    If you don't care about the size, you could get good studio in around $18K-

    There are many cinemas in HK Island (5 in Causeway Bay) and it is easy for you to take MTR to go to Broadway Cinematheque at Yau Ma Tei to check out movies from International Movie Festivals.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7

    That sounds good, and I'm not really the night life type of person - with the exception of attending events (e.g. art gallery exhibitions or trips to the cinema) I would expect my evenings to be spent relaxing and watching a film. A larger apartment would definitely be preferable.

    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    from whampoa station to wan chai, only 18mins mtr, how can that be far away, the difference, live in a 200 sq ft shoe box for HK$18k or 400sq ft apartment with gym swimming pool clubhouse, but it depends if he/she wants to be in the action for night life, if yes, go to wan chai and compromise on space, also 5 mins walk to promenade as well, also significantly quieter in hung hom bay than wan chai.

    on the other hand, he/she like films, get a larger size apartment, invest on a nice home cinema amplifier something like yamaha rx-v583 and 5.1 speakers such as tannoy eclipse 2, eclipse centre and rears all for around HK$9k and 55" hdr 4k tv such as kd-55x8000f for HK$7500 or samsung 55" nu8000 for HK$6k, via netflix subscription, you will have a decent home cinema system

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,333
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Well you are correct. But if 18 Mins + the walking distance, I believe living in Wanchai or Causeway Bay is still comparably closer, right? And timesaving too.

    The suggestion of visiting Broadway Cinematheque (Yau Ma Tei) is because he is a film lover, who want to go to cinema, talk and sharing with others, but it is of course good to have a decent home cinema system too.

    Nevertheless, let's shared our opinions and I am sure Filmlover will make a good decision.
    \

    even though i live in fanling, my father in law lives in hung hom bay, i have actually driven to the elements the grand cinema on the basis that it was the best cinema in HK (in my opinion) especially with it's 128 channel dolby atmos, but i am wondering yau ma tei's Broadway Cinematheque, is it good?

    i recall once, went to crap cinema which spoilt the film, it was tst golden harvest and it was full price, the screen as big as bright as 14" tv, sound sounds like mono, cheap US$100 bluetooth speaker and non gradient seating

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmlover
    That sounds good, and I'm not really the night life type of person - with the exception of attending events (e.g. art gallery exhibitions or trips to the cinema) I would expect my evenings to be spent relaxing and watching a film. A larger apartment would definitely be preferable.
    try harbour place, hom hung bay, around 5 mins walk from whamphoa or 12 mins (via short cut on luen hung rd) to hung hom station

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmlover
    who likes to stay indoors and watch a film on a Sunday afternoon find it difficult to do that in such a cramped setting without it impacting one's mental health over the long term.
    No, you get used to it, your standards and perspective changes.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,333
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Well you are correct. But if 18 Mins + the walking distance, I believe living in Wanchai or Causeway Bay is still comparably closer, right? And timesaving too.

    The suggestion of visiting Broadway Cinematheque (Yau Ma Tei) is because he is a film lover, who want to go to cinema, talk and sharing with others, but it is of course good to have a decent home cinema system too.

    Nevertheless, let's shared our opinions and I am sure Filmlover will make a good decision.
    seems to be arthouse cinema, just looked at the google review

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    12

    Broadway Cinematheque is a good one (to me), yes, sort of arthouse cinema, they have a book cafe in the cinema, and they have talks with some cultural topics but usually in Cantonese. Good books, good coffee and good movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    seems to be arthouse cinema, just looked at the google review

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    12

    Yeah, then go for the Yau Ma Tei units. Maybe try to look Hunghom and other areas too as you could compare and make a decision,

    Find something near to MTR station could allows you to visit other places easily like museums (TST, Shatin) and art centre(Wanchai) etc. As you mentioned you like to attend exhibition etc, one more suggestion, the Tai Kwun in Central.

    Quote Originally Posted by Filmlover
    Thank you for this, I will definitely need to look for apartments in that area then (Yau Ma Tei).

    I would prefer larger apartments though - I was viewing some last week while in Hong Kong and as someone who likes to stay indoors and watch a film on a Sunday afternoon find it difficult to do that in such a cramped setting without it impacting one's mental health over the long term.

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast