Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

I want to work in HK!

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Oh I have no opinion on whether or not they should hire a helper, just commenting on the income level.

I think the dog will definitely have a step down in quality of life moving here, and OP will also if not earning at least $20K honestly.
    Yeah I mean quality of life will go down for both the OP and dog. HK is not known for quality of life unless OP just thinks Australia is boring and slow. If OP doesn't mind the small flats and crowded city that's a big plus. Most people come here to make more money etc. Mileage may vary. My dog used to have a front lawn that he could frollick on. Now he gets the brick walkways and trees that all the other dogs pee on. On the other hand, he does get to meet a lot of other dogs on his walks. Seems to enjoy those encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    Yeah I mean quality of life will go down for both the OP and dog. HK is not known for quality of life unless OP just thinks Australia is boring and slow. If OP doesn't mind the small flats and crowded city that's a big plus. Most people come here to make more money etc. Mileage may vary. My dog used to have a front lawn that he could frollick on. Now he gets the brick walkways and trees that all the other dogs pee on. On the other hand, he does get to meet a lot of other dogs on his walks. Seems to enjoy those encounters.
    Don't discount the fragrant cornucopia of other dogs' pee! Nothing, but NOTHING made my dog happier than heading to the local park where every neighborhood dog had left his calling card! There is a level of urban energy and excitement even for dogs...

local park where every neighborhood dog had left his calling card!
    For whatever reason, its called "pee-mail" in our neighbourhood.
    MABinPengChau and jack55 like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Couple of things I would be considering -
    Firstly, assuming you can get an internal transfer, what salary range would your company be prepared to pay you here in HK? Salary difference here is much larger than in Oz for youngsters and senior staff, and local under-30s are cheap as chips to hire unless they havespecific niche skills. Just something to consider when you consider rents and upkeep for the dog (decent pet food here is not cheap, good red meat for protein if you want to feed raw is crazy expensive ... and never mind the vet bills!).....
    HM definitely some stuff I haven't considered yet. Especially food for my extremely picky dog that gets his food cooked for him daily HAHA

Salary has been mentioned quite a few times and now I'm worried loool. Hopefully my company won't drop my salary from the current approx 32k a month I'm on... I guess we'll have to see! What's the average entry level salary? I know it's a wide range but is there a number that's typical? Do expats and locals tend to get paid differently if they were the same skill level? Am I even a foreigner if I get my PR approved?

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Yeah, I am too scared to go illegal so got my local helper through ERB but likely you are looking at maybe 100 day for a walk- there are also dog-walking services - probably for you the dog would get taken to the dog park as it's close..... You could try fostering a dog (always a need for fosters in HK) from time to time if your dog likes other dogs. Some dogs are jealous of another dog so it totally depends on the dog.
    Yea I was thinking if I went with ERB at least they could also do some cleaning around my place too!
    GREAT idea with the fostering! I'll definitely look into that. Would be great to test the waters without the complete commitment. THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Minimum salary to hire a helper is $15k. You definitely shouldn’t move here if you won’t be earning at least that much.
    Definitely wouldn't! That's less than half my current salary, I'm reckless but not completely dumb :P HAHA
    Not sure hiring a helper is a smart financial decision even if I did earn enough though. It'll just be me and my dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    There is a new line on the MTR being worked on Shat Tin to Central link (or admiralty). Don't think it's ready until 2021 but will cut your commute time down.

MTR - Shatin to Central Link - Project Details - Key Information

Also for event planning and marketing you could try the larger crypto companies/exchanges. They are always hosting events or even one of the larger law firms.
    THAT IS THE BEST NEWS EVER omg I'm so happy. Always takes me over an hour to get to central and it's the worst.

Thank you! I'll definitely look into that.

Yeah I mean quality of life will go down for both the OP and dog. HK is not known for quality of life unless OP just thinks Australia is boring and slow. If OP doesn't mind the small flats and crowded city that's a big plus. Most people come here to make more money etc...
    I'm sure our quality of life will go down but this an experience that I'm sure I'll benefit a lot from. I know I want to live in Australia for the rest of my life so it would be good for me to do this while I'm young! My dog currently gets a massive back and front yard, but I can't leave him because if not for me he will not get at least one walk daily and will likely be alone all day which I think is more cruel than getting lots of love in a smaller place!
    MABinPengChau likes this.

I mentioned your salary as you say your company does not have your current department in HK. That means whether internally or externally, you are basically looking for a new job in an area you have little experience in?

I am not sure if your current company will maintain your salary level or place some importance on you being a current employee, but that was the reason I assumed you will have a lower salary moving to HK. Obviously, you are still young and if you do well, that will continue going up.

Quote Originally Posted by tm-au
    HM definitely some stuff I haven't considered yet. Especially food for my extremely picky dog that gets his food cooked for him daily HAHA
    !
    Plenty of "other parts" of cows, chickens, and pigs that dogs LOVE and are cheap! I'm thinking liver, stomach, intestines, kidney, etc. Boil it all up in soup stock and probably cheaper than the pricey canned or dry food in HK. I had a dog once with a skin condition and I cooked up random chicken parts and mixed with some rice and some skin vitamins and his condition got better and it was cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    HK I think is very safe yet I am not a good looking women. I think women always have unwanted attention from men to deal with but in general I would say HK is one of the safest places in the world.
    Holy CRAP, U R a CHICK??????

Damm I thought u was a bloke LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Holy CRAP, U R a CHICK??????

Damm I thought u was a bloke LOL
    Haha I'm not a chick is what I meant.

In terms of salary - again, here's where a transfer and good relationships come into play. You'll find companies a little bit more flexible when it comes to transferring employees who have good relationships and are good performers.

It would depend on whose budget you were being transferred and your job, but sometimes, just sometimes there is flexibility.

No such thing as "typical entry level salary" in my opinion.

tm-au likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

I disagree with the general statement that HK has a lower quality of life, especially for expats.

HK has a variety of living styles available and it just depends what one person is interested in. For me, I choose to live in a low density area and enjoy it, but if I lived in a crowded area I would probably not enjoy it as much. That's me and each to their own.
    tm-au likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast