Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

I want to work in HK!

I want to work in HK!

Hi guys!

Just wondering if I could get some thoughts/experiences / advice! I know some of it will probs be harsh and a reality check but I probably need it ������

Basically I really really want to move to Hong Kong for a few years to work / experience it. I have family there and my parents grew up there so I would love to connect with the culture. This also means I have (I think) ROL, which I will be travelling back to HK in January to apply for. So this probably means I don't need to be sponsored for a visa.

I am a 23 year old female from Australia. In terms of professional life, I have just under a year's experience at an international social media company doing corporate events. I started a foreign exchange role in a large international financial services company a couple months ago. This is on top of the experience in more casual jobs whilst studying ofc. I studied social media market stuff so this finance stuff is very new to me so I don't expect to be able to find another random finance role.

My plan so far is to work here for a year and request an internal transfer to the HK office then move around next July. Problem is, my department is not available in the HK location so I will have to switch departments. This is not a problem for me personally as I would prefer to go back into marketing/events but would mean I would have to apply for a new job even if it's internally. I am also worried about my lack of experience. I am currently earning about the equivalent of 32k HKD /month.

If I do move I am currently expecting to pay for my own relocation, however I will not have to pay for accommodation for at least the first 6-12 months as I can live with family. I am also planning to ship my large dog over.

I figure it's the best time to do it as I'm young and I want to start a family/grow old in Sydney so I thought I'd try to experience this as I won't get to when I'm older.
    I would love to know your thoughts/experiences and any advice or considerations you can give me. I'm honestly pretty set on my plan so advice would probably be more helpful than trying to convince me otherwise .
    Has anyone done something like this? Most people seem to move when they already have a job offer. One of my other main concerns are hours and annual leave. I currently get to leave at 5pm on the dot (manager will tell me to leave if I stay) and I get 25 days of paid leave a year min. This is somewhat important to me because my dog is my baby and he needs 3 walks a day (working dog). Loool. People working for international companies, how do you hours /leave look?

Do I have anything to negotiate with that would make my company want to or help me move to HK?

Transport wise, I live quite far (Tai Wai) from my office (Tai Koo). I don't see many motorbikes being ridden around HK, is this a viable option?

This is everything I can remember so far, though I'm certain I've left out many questions.

Thanks so much! ♥️♥️

Last edited by tm-au; 15-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    tf19 likes this.

@ Your age and no financial responsibilities - go for it. Internal company transfers are infinitely easier, as the company can always claim that you have company specific experience that locals / new hires do not. Again, that experience should be something slightly unique, but it is entirely doable.

You also have a couple of other visa types available to you - working holiday and if push comes to shove, a training visa might be available. Would depend on how good your relationship with the hiring manager / local office is.

Also, don't get too caught up in the whole "get out at 5PM" thing. Work your arse off, enjoy your weekends and get some overseas experience - some of these will pay more in the long term than leaving early. Just saying...

MandM!, imparanoic, tm-au and 2 others like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, makes me happy because I'm obsessed with the idea of moving HAHA.

In terms of financial responsibility, I do have one - my dog. Which is also why I'm worried about hours. If this was not the case I would not be worried at all. Leaving him at home in Australia is not an option. I have looked into hiring a housekeeper/helper for a few hours each day but I would like to be home to be able to walk/feed him in the evenings.

Either way, thanks so much for your response! It's really nice to hear some validation for my plan!

You might also be able to apply to get PR if you qualify (maybe do it after you get the job so you don't seem too eager to move lol). Is the dog in HK already? It's really easy to bring your dog to Hong Kong if not. Just get the shots and documents ready and no quarantine.

edit: My dog came from the States and was totally OK. It's not hard to walk him twice a day. There are plenty of dog parks you can go to etc. Or just downstairs to take care of business. Make sure to find a place that is dog friendly though. That does cut down on your housing options.

shri and tm-au like this.

If you had no responsibilities, I would say go for it! Don't think you have to earn lots and have great working hours and loads of holidays (it will likely be worse than your current role in Australia). But then you are coming over here for the experience.

But I think your big responsibility is your dog. It is tougher to look after a dog and give it the attention it requires with the working hours here, I guess you will want to have fun and enjoy yourself after work hours as well. Public transport doesnt allow pets, and most parks do not as well. Some taxis and ubers do not allow dogs. There are work arounds but you will need to do research and maybe restrict yourself a bit as Jack says.

tm-au and Football16 like this.

There are dog walkers for a mid-day walk and also some helpers in your area may be willing to walk your dog when they walk the family dog for a fee (yes, I know, technically illegal because that helper is working for another family but I think pretty widely done).

I had a coworker with a large dog that we took to some dog park with a water feature in Shatin near the race course. It was a Portuguese water dog (the one the Obamas have) imported from Australia and seemed pretty happy. They did have a helper so I guess that's a big difference.

Then you do some long early walks and long night walks (safe so no worries being out late) and I think the dog will be happy.

Easy to import from Australia with it being a "no rabies" country...

tm-au likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    You might also be able to apply to get PR if you qualify (maybe do it after you get the job so you don't seem too eager to move lol). Is the dog in HK already? It's really easy to bring your dog to Hong Kong if not. Just get the shots and documents ready and no quarantine.

edit: My dog came from the States and was totally OK. It's not hard to walk him twice a day. There are plenty of dog parks you can go to etc. Or just downstairs to take care of business. Make sure to find a place that is dog friendly though. That does cut down on your housing options.
    Dog is still in AU til I come for HK next year (maybe a couple months after when it starts to get cooler again). Not too worried about the relocation itself (except for the 9 hours my dog is in a crate i guess!) but yea, more the day to day excercise, social interaction as I will be living by myself so he will be alone. No worries about the housing though! Will be staying in a self contained section of my family's village house/apartment thing!

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    If you had no responsibilities, I would say go for it! Don't think you have to earn lots and have great working hours and loads of holidays (it will likely be worse than your current role in Australia). But then you are coming over here for the experience.
    Would the pay be significantly worse? I have no idea on what the average salary in HK is like - just the minimums which are quite shocking. Are most salaries close to the minimum? Especially for my level of experience - or lack thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    There are dog walkers for a mid-day walk and also some helpers in your area may be willing to walk your dog when they walk the family dog for a fee (yes, I know, technically illegal because that helper is working for another family but I think pretty widely done).

I had a coworker with a large dog that we took to some dog park with a water feature in Shatin near the race course. It was a Portuguese water dog (the one the Obamas have) imported from Australia and seemed pretty happy. They did have a helper so I guess that's a big difference.

Then you do some long early walks and long night walks (safe so no worries being out late) and I think the dog will be happy.

Easy to import from Australia with it being a "no rabies" country...
    I was looking into hiring a helper part time but I'm scared :'( a neighbour of mine is a police officer LOL. Was looking into ERB though, so maybe that could work.
    Luckily I live in Shatin! I'm hoping to be able to go to the racecourse as much as possible
    I don't trust the safety at the moment tbh.. was in HK 3 weeks ago and got followed from the mtr, onto the bus all the way to my door by a random guy who tried at one point to get in... Another problem is that I'll be living alone, so I feel bad for my boy being alone most of the day.... maybe I'll adopt another pup hahahahah

Appreciating all the help guys!!
    MABinPengChau likes this.

I would not recommend riding a motorbike in HK daily. Yes I think bikes are fun, but frankly they are not safe in HK, and if you ride one daily in HK, well I just think it would be asking for something to happen.

Is your family ok with you bringing a dog? Many buildings and/or landlord will not allow a dog, it might limit your options should you want to find your own place.

HK I think is very safe yet I am not a good looking women. I think women always have unwanted attention from men to deal with but in general I would say HK is one of the safest places in the world.

Come to HK and give it a go, that is what I did, and just make it work - Have been here ever since and now a PR. There are plenty of job opportunities and the pay is anywhere from low to high, some of the lowest paying jobs here and definitely some of the highest paying ones. Depends on your ability to find and secure said job and at a salary comfortable for you.

You can consider if you want to hire a full-time domestic helper. It's definitely worth it! Someone to take care of your dogs, you can travel when you want as you have someone at home to take care of the home and dogs. Find one who is experienced/older and a good cook!

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    I would not recommend riding a motorbike in HK daily. Yes I think bikes are fun, but frankly they are not safe in HK, and if you ride one daily in HK, well I just think it would be asking for something to happen.

Is your family ok with you bringing a dog? Many buildings and/or landlord will not allow a dog, it might limit your options should you want to find your own place.

HK I think is very safe yet I am not a good looking women. I think women always have unwanted attention from men to deal with but in general I would say HK is one of the safest places in the world.
    Darn, was hoping to be able to get to work quicker than the 1+ hour commute from Sha Tin/Tai Wai to anywhere on HK island loool. But true, judging by what I've seen, I probably wouldn't handle HK drivers well hahah.

Family is fine thankfully! Its a self contained section so they'll be close but far

Yea, I've always felt safe until that incident, I guess I will definitely be more vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    You can consider if you want to hire a full-time domestic helper. It's definitely worth it! Someone to take care of your dogs, you can travel when you want as you have someone at home to take care of the home and dogs. Find one who is experienced/older and a good cook!
    We'll see how much I earn! hahaha, Don't think I earn quite enough for that luxury just yet LOL. I also don't really want to live with anyone tbh....

Thanks for your reply! Defs given me more to consider

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast