Moving to HK and education issues

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tjjsp:
    Which area is good for regular American Kids (very little Chinese) who like to play soccer (football) all the time?
    what the heck is regular american kids?

Have not had a chance to check the site for a few days.
    Thank you for our answer. I have contacted AIS. Is this a good school? Is the area of Kowloon Tong good? Foreigner community?
    Are you talking about Australian or American International school?
    The American International School on the kowloon side is adequate but definitely not in the top tier in terms of academics and facilities. The one where all the expat american kids go to is HKIS...

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    what the heck is regular american kids?
    regular: where all sides and angles are the same if I remember from my maths.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Perhaps it means they do No. 2 on cue...

Smile

AIS is a good school - diverse student population - friendly - not IB but with Australian curriculum which is enquiry based. It is a school that would suit 'regular' kids.

good luck with it

What happens when if there is not space for the kids? Then they will have no school for a year?
    I am really worried! I guess a lot of parents are in the same position as I am, and they may eeven be already there.
    I moved to HK first, wife and kids joined later when the kids had admission. I had 1 child going to secondary school and didn't want to take chances. Having said that, I know plenty of people who moved in afterward and got admission immediately. Right now, more expats are leaving - so it should not be as bad as they make it sound. If 1 of your kid gets into ESF, the other will get sibling priority. It is more difficult in secondary - you should try and sort that first.

ESF is changing to IB - so the "system" is international and plenty of American, French, Scandinavian, Australian etc etc kids go there. We live in Pokfulam - soccer is nearby as are the primary and secondary schools.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    The one where all the expat american kids go to is HKIS...
    i guess you don't have much of a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by back2HK:
    ESF is changing to IB - so the "system" is international and plenty of American, French, Scandinavian, Australian etc etc kids go there. We live in Pokfulam - soccer is nearby as are the primary and secondary schools.
    Mmm, that's not entirely true, most ESF schools have teachers that are more familiar with the British system. They have introduced IB at the senior level(year 12 and 13) but retain GCSEs at the earlier level and are not implementing PYP or MYP in most of their schools except Discovery College and Renaissance. The feel of the school remains largely British and most of the staff are from the UK/Australia/NZ. As for the kids, there are not many american expat kids going there but there may be many american passport holders.

The student population in many international schools appear diverse but the reality remains that a very large numbers are chinese with other passports. At schools like CDNIS or CIS, the population is over 90% chinese but the passports are extremely varied. At West Island the ESF high school which is in Pok Fu Lam, I'd say around 60% chinese, quite a few indians, lots of British, and a smattering of kids from all over the world. Don't remember seeing any caucasian american or canadian kids there but there might be a couple.

Caucasian american kids mostly go to HKIS if they can get in. That's the school that offers AP which will give kids college credits in University and support for SAT and much better information about american universities. It's also very close to the American Club.

It's not necessarily a better school that the ESF but it's more suitable if your children plan to go to american universities.

Happy New Year!
    Thank you for your answers.
    It continues to be a worrisome issue of this career change. Looks like I have to move first.
    Thank you all.

Happy New Year!
    Thank you for your answers.
    It continues to be a worrisome issue of this career change. Looks like I have to move first.
    Thank you all.
    FYI that ESF (the comments about wanting a more american education notwithstanding) also has a "surety" scheme where you can buy a place up to 6 months in advance basically by paying the monthly school fees. A bit different from debentures as this is basically an expense, but it is also a lot cheaper.

My older daughter goes to ESF kindy in Sheung Wan, and my guestimate would be 70-80% of the kids are chinese there (mine's half chinese).

Another thing is, soccer is the #1 sport in HK, so I doubt your kids will have problems in that regard. :-)

-titus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3