Moving to HK and education issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to HK and education issues

hi, I am currently in Malaysia but relocating to Hong Kong sometime early next year around Feb.
    We were hoping to get a place in an International school in HK for our kid who is 6 this year, then plan to rent an apartment around the school area. However we realised now that most of the international schools we approached are so fulled and difficult to get into. Hence, we are now in a dilemna and probably have to resort to coming down to Hong Kong to hunt for schools for my son.
    Did any of you go through the same experience as us and be willing to share your experience and offer us some advice how to go about this?
    We would appreciate that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aasm:
    hi, I am currently in Malaysia but relocating to Hong Kong sometime early next year around Feb.
    We were hoping to get a place in an International school in HK for our kid who is 6 this year, then plan to rent an apartment around the school area. However we realised now that most of the international schools we approached are so fulled and difficult to get into. Hence, we are now in a dilemna and probably have to resort to coming down to Hong Kong to hunt for schools for my son.
    Did any of you go through the same experience as us and be willing to share your experience and offer us some advice how to go about this?
    We would appreciate that.

Thanks
    I would get your kid on the waiting lists. There are a lot of people moving in and out all the time (and I guess at the moment there may be more than normal moving out) so places do become available at times - perhaps the start of the new term after Christmas. I think personal visits are worthwhile. When we applied there was a waiting list of an expected 3 months, after meeting the head a place became available within the hour.

Advise needed

I have been offered an opportunity to head a new branch office in HK for small company. My main concern is that I have 2 kids. Since we are not there yet, it is difficult for me to register. Also, I was told by ESF that I need to be on waiting list even if I have not narrowed down which school I want them to attend. I was told that I probably need to put in applications for several school. I am very worried about this because I do not want them to miss school at all.
    Anyone with kids and would like to give me some pointers? How are the kids and have they become more comfortable about the move? Did you have a hard time finding school? Which area is good for regular American Kids (very little Chinese) who like to play soccer (football) all the time?
    My kids should be going to 9th and 4th grade in the States if we were to stay behind. However, when I inquired about the int'l school in HK, they told me that my kids will be applying for 10th and 5th grade for the yr of Setp 2009. I am very concerned not only for the space (which is always on waiting list), but also the level, if they can catch up, etc. Also, because I have not moved yet and do not know where we are going to leave, I am not sure which school to apply.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Tjjsp; 05-12-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Tjjsp: You didn't get a reply when you asked before so I'll give you something of a reply.

Last year was my daughter's first year here. She also had to jump a grade going from grade 3 straight to grade 5. I think she found the first weeks hard but less to do with the jump in grades and more to do with going to a new school in a new country. I'm not saying she loves school now (she's a normal kid) but she has settled in, is doing fine with her work and has plenty of friends. So I would not worry about the academic level particularly of the younger one.

In terms of school places, see my post above to the OP. Don't limit yourself to ESF which seems to be permanently full, there are plenty of other options available. Identify a few areas where you might like to live and then apply to the schools in that area, though many kids here travel quite a way to school anyway.

As for playing football, no idea - definitely not where I live. Think how much money you could make from a football pitch size of land in Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Tjjsp:
    I have been offered an opportunity to head a new branch office in HK for small company. My main concern is that I have 2 kids. Since we are not there yet, it is difficult for me to register. Also, I was told by ESF that I need to be on waiting list even if I have not narrowed down which school I want them to attend. I was told that I probably need to put in applications for several school. I am very worried about this because I do not want them to miss school at all.
    Anyone with kids and would like to give me some pointers? How are the kids and have they become more comfortable about the move? Did you have a hard time finding school? Which area is good for regular American Kids (very little Chinese) who like to play soccer (football) all the time?
    My kids should be going to 9th and 4th grade in the States if we were to stay behind. However, when I inquired about the int'l school in HK, they told me that my kids will be applying for 10th and 5th grade for the yr of Setp 2009. I am very concerned not only for the space (which is always on waiting list), but also the level, if they can catch up, etc. Also, because I have not moved yet and do not know where we are going to leave, I am not sure which school to apply.
    Thanks for your help.
    There's a nice pitch at HKIS and a good football program for kids at the Hong Kong Football Club and you don't need to be a member to put the kids in it...

I am wondering what you mean by "very little Chinese"
    I thought Americans are pretty open-minded at least my American friends are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjjsp:
    Thanks for your help.

I was assuming that this meant her children spoke very little chinese.....

Yes that would seem to be... As americans, I wouldn't recommend sending you kids to ESF which runs under the British system. You would be much better off at HKIS which has lots of american children and a more adapted curriculum. They also have the best overall sports program of all international schools and some of the best facilities. Your older child will also have access to AP courses and SAT training classes and much better information about universities in America.
    At ESF, he will be stuck in the middle of GCSE's which have exams at the end of grade 10 (year 11 there). In the case of your younger child, it shouldn't make too much of a difference but why bother with the British system if you plan to return or send your kids to America for their tertiary education.

Thank you, Hullexile, Gilleshk, ucdavis08, MovingIn07:
    Thank you so so much for your advises. It is very helpful. I have been waiting for this kind of exchanges. I will definately check out HKIS. Which area would you all suggest? I know my son is my resisting the moving idea. So, I think I would try my best to go to an area that has more American...perhaps. It is difficult! I trust that you all understand my feeling.
    It is a good suggestion about staying in American system. It is true.
    I know that my husband and I like Discovery Bay, but it is a bit remote from Tsim Sha Tsui where my office will be. I know there is an Discovery International School (but it seems to be a lot more expensive because of the Levy). Please comment? About issue surrounding the sport activity, I can only worry about it when we get there. At least, my husband is a soccer coach here in the State. So, if they miss it, they can play with him.
    School is the most important.
    Thanks.

Oh, by the way! "very little Chinese" is about they cannot speak Chinese, almost none. My son can understand quite a bit in Mandarine, and less in Cantonese. My daughter is almost nothing.
    REALLY SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION! It really makes me feel very good that someone cares to explain on my behalf right away. Thank you!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast