Like Tree66Likes

Relocating from NYC to HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Go for it man. I did 5+ years in NYC living in FiDi. Most recently was living in the Miami area before moving here. I'm on a similar package and am supporting both myself and my wife on it and we still have money to throw in the bank and pay down the mortgage on our place in Miami.

If experience is want you are after no better time than now. Not only will you get the international experience but also international experience during a volatile time. It will show future employers that you are willing to put yourself in what can be seen by others as an uncomfortable position in order to push your career forward.

Also, it's easy to hop away for the weekends and explore Asia. We regularly go on weekend trips around Asia and last weekend went to mainland for motorcycle racing.

I moved here in march and haven't looked back

oh, and while you're still state side, get your motorcycle endorsement, its an easy direct license conversion here. A motorcycle is a great way to get around HK and avoid traffic plus meet some great people both expats and locals.

If you try to get the bike license here it's roughly a 2 year process.

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy:
    A motorcycle is a great way to get around HK and avoid traffic plus meet some great people both expats and locals as well as a great way to crash into a truck driven by a maniac and die.
    Fixed that up for ya a little bit. You're welcome.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy:
    oh, and while you're still state side, get your motorcycle endorsement, its an easy direct license conversion here. A motorcycle is a great way to get around HK and avoid traffic plus meet some great people both expats and locals.

If you try to get the bike license here it's roughly a 2 year process.
    A bike is a good way to suck in that dreamy air spewed out of buses. Hmm. Go for it.
    Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Fixed that up for ya a little bit. You're welcome.
    You get to meet some nice doctors and nurses
    Char Siu King likes this.

I'm half joking guys. I used to ride in HK but f**K did I get into some messy situations especially on Sundays when the weekend minivan drivers are out and about.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    I'm half joking guys. I used to ride in HK but f**K did I get into some messy situations especially on Sundays when the weekend minivan drivers are out and about.
    I'm not. I drive all day every day. I feel bad for riders that get stuck behind buses. I always try my best to give them space to squeeze through, but god damn there are some selfish drivers that lack spatial awareness here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    I'm not. I drive all day every day. I feel bad for riders that get stuck behind buses. I always try my best to give them space to squeeze through, but god damn there are some selfish drivers that lack spatial awareness here.
    It's the spatial awareness thing. Pissed me off so much. Overall my Kawasaki cut my commute to the office by half so it was well worth it.
    Kowloon Goon and it_guy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Where do you live? Some areas are very secluded from the rest of HK and that is great. I know my home can still go out and nothing going on, yet isn't exactly a paradise of things to do right there. Need to go to a nearby town that could have been affected.
    I live very close to Sai Kung. If you can put up with the commute ( and I can) the possibilities are endless

Yes, you won't get the rich cultural experience you get in NYC, but you will get the same convenience (E.g., easily finding food / open restaurants in the middle of the night, relying mainly on public transportation). HK is also one of the rare places where you can hike in the rural and hit a bar in city core within the same hour.

it_guy likes this.