Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 2 Post By pin

Where to look for areas with good schools for pre K but not too expensive rent

Closed Thread

Where to look for areas with good schools for pre K but not too expensive rent

Hi,

My wife and I already live in HK for more than 2 years now. We currently have a year and half toddler. We're planning on moving in the next 6 months. Looking for advice as to where we should be looking at in terms of areas where the rent is not as expensive as mid levels for a decent sized 3 bedroom. We don't mind the travel as long as it has an mtr nearby. We're looking at Tung Chung but open for suggestions.

Thanks

What sort of curriculum are you looking for? Any hard requirements on budget, facilities or apartment size?

Hi Shri. Was thinking between 20 - 25k a month. Would be great if there's a pool but not really a big deal if we're saving on other things as I'm sure we can find a sport center with a pool. 700 sq feet is what we have at the moment, would love to maintain that size if we can.

For the curriculum, he's just turning 2, we dont speak Cantonese but my wife and I dont mind him learning it. As long as the school has a program for it that teaches the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by gdubdubs:
    Hi,

My wife and I already live in HK for more than 2 years now. We currently have a year and half toddler. We're planning on moving in the next 6 months. Looking for advice as to where we should be looking at in terms of areas where the rent is not as expensive as mid levels for a decent sized 3 bedroom. We don't mind the travel as long as it has an mtr nearby. We're looking at Tung Chung but open for suggestions.

Thanks
    Yep Tung Chung has similar square footage for that price, if not too far from your work... All condos have great pool & clubhouse facilities, close to MTR, airport, Macau & Zhuhai bridge, bus to Shenzhen, Citygate mall, mountains and beaches, and lots of nurseries and kindergartens... quiet neighborhood for families.

Tung Chung has a ton of pre-schools, there was a thread before discussing them- not just ESF but other private ones and definitely some that took age 2 if that is what you are looking for.

Kowloon Tong has an incredible density of preschools and is cheaper than Central but probably double the price of Tung Chung. DB also has a lot of preschools if you work in Central it's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Tung Chung has a ton of pre-schools, there was a thread before discussing them- not just ESF but other private ones and definitely some that took age 2 if that is what you are looking for.

Kowloon Tong has an incredible density of preschools and is cheaper than Central but probably double the price of Tung Chung. DB also has a lot of preschools if you work in Central it's an option.

What's ESF mean? Yeah my wife and I are thinking about to send him at 2 or maybe a little later. We're not used to sending a kid that young to school.

How's the size of the apartment for the price I mentioned at Kowloon Tong (or DB)? I'm all for closer to central as it's easier if we want to hang out with friends. I guess Tung Chung is still not too bad since we still have MTR open up late enough to get home.

ESF - English schools foundation. Simplified version: The largest private international School with dozens of campuses across town .

If you will be here for primary school, ESF is a good preschool/kindergarten choice as you can get a place in an ESF primary school (not sure if it's a guarantee or just better chances). ESF is cheaper than a lot of other international schools, so that is why getting in at kindergarten is a game plan for many families. But it starts at age 3. For age 2, there are other options. such as Sunshine House (webstite says Open House for Tung Chung location on 19 October, take a look)
    https://www.esf.edu.hk/tung-chung-kindergarten/

https://www.sunshinehouse.com.hk/en/curriculum

shri and traineeinvestor like this.

If you want something a good size with a pool and such in Kowloon Tong, it's in the 30's for rent.

It is considered one of the best school districts (this from my school-obsessed coworker) if you are thinking long term.

Numerous kindergartens and international schools.

Not a great commute to Central, not sure if the new line from Shatin will improve that or not. Tung Chung is probably the same, time-wise, but you don't have to transfer.

My coworker's daughter went to a nursery program at age 2 in Kowloon Tong and then transferred to a super-prestigious kindergarten (through-train to secondary school). So some schools are super-academic, even at that age (she was learning Chinese characters already). Western-style preschools are more play-based...

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent-property-948616.html

I would not suggest living in Kowloon Tong. It is devoid of anything (apart from schools) and is bloddy expensive.

Kowloon Goon and chingleutsch like this.