Like Tree80Likes

Is it Wise to Leave School in US mid-semester to move to HK for 9 months?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Bricks on an already barricaded road act as police deterrent. Please critically into what happens during a protest, and don't rely on TVB or Wechat forwards. Can you detail to me any pedestrian hurt by said bricks in the past 4 months?
    I'm simply making a point that your statement is nonsensical. If you can't understand this, then I have nothing else to say.

Peace. Love. And Hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    OP - Coming to HK during a time when nobody, literally nobody can know where things go from here? With a kid? Please don't.

I just cancelled my Christmas trip to Hong Kong (lived there for 8 years). Friends keep me up to date about the actual situation on the ground through WhatsApp and it's all extremely unpredictable.
    Thanks @Char Siu King, it's very unpredictable and just planning and not knowing what will happen if you can't get home because of walking/bus/etc. is not something you want to do with your kid. If they sense you are worried or anxious, they will pick up on it too. Unfortunately, my spouse thinks our kid should come for the next semester and then come back to the US after the semester is over. Makes no sense to me and our kid loves his teacher and students in class.

@bdw, are parents thinking about taking their students out of HK next year or anything? I don't know what parents in International Schools want to do if they have an option like dual passports or if they are not a HK permanent resident.

Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    I totally agree with you on this. Spouse just doesn't want to spend more than 1 month away from kid. But our kid is really happy at the kindergarten in US. If I withdraw him next month, he would be really unhappy as he will miss his teacher and classmates. We've been shuttling back and forth for the past 2 years (one month in HK and then 6 weeks in the US and on and on) and it's a pain in the rear and very exhausting as we need to settle somewhere. So far, all schools I've contacted in HK for January semester tell me no vacancies despite people leaving HK and the protests. And there is no value add for the HK school like you said. Living in Central will be hard though as there's no community or neighborhood feel and we are very close to Tamar Park.
    But he won't miss his parent? Because he doesn't love his parent?

Sounds like this is something you have to work out with your spouse, not Geo.

I find it really amazing that people find broken glass so "scary". As if a lack of freedom of speech or losing your job because you supported the wrong side weren't really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I find it really amazing that people find broken glass so "scary". As if a lack of freedom of speech or losing your job because you supported the wrong side weren't really scary.
    Both are scary and real threats for obviously different reasons. Constantly walking on eggshells whether it's talking about the protests at work or in public, doing something that is perceived to make you 'the enemy', taking extreme care in what you post or like/dislike on social media for fear of upsetting one side or the other, etc.

This is not normal nor is it a place to raise a normal functioning family.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    Question since spouse is still working in HK until summer. Family should be together but me and my son are in the US (our home) and he started Kindergarten in elementary public school. Spouse wants us to withdraw from public school in November (not even finishing his first semester, which seems awkward) so he can go on interviews in HK and hopefully land a spot for this January (so far, schools I called have no spaces this January). He also proposed that my son will re-enter same public school next Fall. Do public schools frown on this? I don't know if this is common.

Spouse lives and works in Central. With all these protests escalating, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
    If I read your post correctly you are saying your son will study in HK for one semeste then the plan is to return to the same school he is attending now. Many parents don't even move until their kids go to college. Consistency in environment is important for a child's well being. This covers social aspects as well as a comfortable environment for learning. When kids are uprooted its a disruption to their routine and study habits. It all depends on your kid of your course but if you want the best for him consistency in familiar surroundings is important. If your husband wnats your kid to hang out in HK then do it in the summer not during the academic year. Only gypsies travel all over the place and place thier kids educaction as an afterthought IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    If I read your post correctly you are saying your son will study in HK for one semeste then the plan is to return to the same school he is attending now. Many parents don't even move until their kids go to college. Consistency in environment is important for a child's well being. This covers social aspects as well as a comfortable environment for learning. When kids are uprooted its a disruption to their routine and study habits. It all depends on your kid of your course but if you want the best for him consistency in familiar surroundings is important. If your husband wnats your kid to hang out in HK then do it in the summer not during the academic year. Only gypsies travel all over the place and place thier kids educaction as an afterthought IMO.
    Lots of expat kids move schools and countries.

My eldest did Philippines > Hong Hong > Philippines > UK > Philippines. This year she graduated with a degree in Psychology and the fact she travelled and so is not mono-lingual is a great advantage.

My middle daughter had the same moves and this year obtained a place on a wonderful national STEM scheme which, apart from a special curriculum, dedicated teachers, dedicated classrooms, science lab, additional resources, also means her education is free for the next 10 years including all her books and even a monthly allowance when she is at uni.

I would argue living in different countries and being exposed to different languages and cultures is wonderful education for a child.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    Both are scary and real threats for obviously different reasons. Constantly walking on eggshells whether it's talking about the protests at work or in public, doing something that is perceived to make you 'the enemy', taking extreme care in what you post or like/dislike on social media for fear of upsetting one side or the other, etc.

This is not normal nor is it a place to raise a normal functioning family.
    In my (irrelevant) opinion, the OP should stay home. I just think it's a great opportunity for the kids/family to learn about why people are chanting "scarily" and breaking glass. Neither hurts the bystander, but are really important.

True about walking on eggshells.

Congrats @hullexile!
    MandM! likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It’s not a theme park exhibit. Unless you want them to experience tear gas don’t show them an active protest.
    MandM! likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I’m trying to help as you don’t currently live here. But feel free to ignore, I really don’t care either way.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast