Like Tree80Likes

Is it Wise to Leave School in US mid-semester to move to HK for 9 months?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is it Wise to Leave School in US mid-semester to move to HK for 9 months?

Question since spouse is still working in HK until summer. Family should be together but me and my son are in the US (our home) and he started Kindergarten in elementary public school. Spouse wants us to withdraw from public school in November (not even finishing his first semester, which seems awkward) so he can go on interviews in HK and hopefully land a spot for this January (so far, schools I called have no spaces this January). He also proposed that my son will re-enter same public school next Fall. Do public schools frown on this? I don't know if this is common.

Spouse lives and works in Central. With all these protests escalating, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Our recent playdate arrangements involve figuring out the likelihood of protest action shutting down various transport routes and whether the kids will be stuck overnight at somebody else's house, or deciding that they can't leave the estate for risk of being near police/protestor action...

Who in their right freaking mind would want to drag their spouse and five year old child to Hong Kong right now?!

BCD, hullexile, Starbug and 8 others like this.

Edit- Ah, I think I misread.

I think your school in the US doesn't care (if it's a public school, they have to take you back).

But it's a lot of disruption with very little upside, other than being with his father. Plus no guarantee in finding a kindergarten place which is a big issue in HK.

Stay put but maybe take a nice long trip to visit Dad at some point? Airfare is super cheap these days and many tourist spots are empty...

@OP, I noticed you mention Central as the living area. I guess that really means mid-levels? That's safe from protestor action as a result of being so far uphill, but central station itself has been closed more than once.

And keep in mind, it is extremely rare to spend the night at other people's homes in HK. It isn't part of the culture or norm. Plus a lack of space usually.

Do not bring your child to HK. Protests are extending to schools (appears to be the backbone of the whole movement) and who knows what is going on in their minds.

No it is not wise. Stay in the US.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Our recent playdate arrangements involve figuring out the likelihood of protest action shutting down various transport routes and whether the kids will be stuck overnight at somebody else's house, or deciding that they can't leave the estate for risk of being near police/protestor action...

Who in their right freaking mind would want to drag their spouse and five year old child to Hong Kong right now?!
    Thanks JGL for the insight. I cannot imagine all the pre-planning just for a playdate. A playdate is supposed to be relaxing for the parents when they meet NOT a scramble because of a protest or that they might get teargassed. I feel guilty for wanting to stay in the US while spouse works hard on the other side of the globe but it was quite scary when we were at the airport the day after the airport shutdown on a Monday in mid August because the protesters were all over the airport. What you see in real vs. TV is a huge wake up call. The chanting from the protestors in the arrivals hall while we were upstairs in the departures hall and how it was becoming louder and louder was quite scary. I had to keep a calm facade while my son was really scared. My son is very happy in US Kindergarten and I would hate to pull him out of school as he loves his teacher and classmates. He always looks forward to school here.
    MandM!, Char Siu King and biffski like this.

@jgl, we live not too far from the IFC. Not mid-levels.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Edit- Ah, I think I misread.

I think your school in the US doesn't care (if it's a public school, they have to take you back).

But it's a lot of disruption with very little upside, other than being with his father. Plus no guarantee in finding a kindergarten place which is a big issue in HK.

Stay put but maybe take a nice long trip to visit Dad at some point? Airfare is super cheap these days and many tourist spots are empty...
    Hi @MABinPengChau,

First time kid is in a real school. Especially a public school. Was in co-op preschool at a church for 3 years but it was more like a daycare but it was a great experience and very tight community. For the past 2 years, we flew to HK every 6 weeks and spent a month or 5 weeks in HK and then flew back to the US to go back to preschool. Our preschool director was very flexible and was ok with us doing that. For me and my son, it was hard going back and forth and was very stressful for me because I felt like my life was not structured and I felt bad for my son not attending preschool because he did nothing in HK but hang around me. I tried to tutor him and he's pretty good at math, coding, some reading, and science but it's not the same as being in a class with other kids and a teacher. There is no substitute for that, in my opinion (not judging home schoolers but as a parent with only one kid, I think my kid should be around other kids). So, my son did miss a lot of school. Since he's in elementary school, we can't take him out a month at a time (not that I want to do that) and my spouse wants to be with us which is why he wants to have us come to HK for the January semester. I agree about many schools not having any vacancies this January. I've already called FIS, GSIS, Island Christian, CDNIS, American International, CIS, Harrow, and HK Academy and nothing. I have offered to come for late December but spouse does not want to do that. Would rather January semester. I feel like that would be a disruption to his Kindergarten but most importantly the political climate is just not right at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2
    Thanks JGL for the insight. I cannot imagine all the pre-planning just for a playdate. A playdate is supposed to be relaxing for the parents when they meet NOT a scramble because of a protest or that they might get teargassed. I feel guilty for wanting to stay in the US while spouse works hard on the other side of the globe but it was quite scary when we were at the airport the day after the airport shutdown on a Monday in mid August because the protesters were all over the airport. What you see in real vs. TV is a huge wake up call. The chanting from the protestors in the arrivals hall while we were upstairs in the departures hall and how it was becoming louder and louder was quite scary. I had to keep a calm facade while my son was really scared. My son is very happy in US Kindergarten and I would hate to pull him out of school as he loves his teacher and classmates. He always looks forward to school here.
    if you know that he's already been working hard out then your presence in the existing chaotic climate of hk will only put more burden on him.

I wouldn't do it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast