Like Tree48Likes

Is it still desirable to work in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glgan
    Hi all,

Need some advises from members of this forum to shed some light about the job market and the general plans/visions of offices of multinational companies in HK i.e. whether they are planning to shift their headquarters somewhere else in Asia or moving their focus out of HK. The reason I'm asking this is due to the recent political turmoil and social unrest in HK.

First of all, I'm currently working in the tech industry, in particular AI and machine learning. Previously graduated from HKU and went to North America for postgraduate. I'm eligible for the IANG visa (international graduates visa). The reason of planning to move back is due to family reason and definitely also the fact that I miss living in HK and I really like the place! It's pretty depressing to see what's happening right now. I've always planning to move there since I graduated a year ago and my decision has been shaken by the current situation.

Can anyone provide a general overview? Also, if anyone who works in the industry which I'm working in or has information about it, can you please tell me about the job market situation? Based on my own research on LinkedIn platform, tbh there's not a lot of large corporations interested in hiring someone of my background. I've applied to some but was rejected.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Drop me a PM, I work in tech here in HK and there are a ton of opportunities. AWS, Equinix and other large tech companies are both expanding aggressively in HK. I got the same responses when I posted on the board about moving to HK for a tech job. Not sure why most people think that you can only expat to HK if your a banker.

I moved over 7 months ago and haven't looked back since.
    jgl, jrkob, bdw and 1 others like this.

Hi, thanks for your reply! Physically present to search for job is risky as I might end up searching for months with no fruition. I was there a week ago. Day time was okay, night time especially on weekends was a tad scary. There's once I was eating and witnessed vandalism in action, I also saw youngsters jumping over the MTR machines. Pretty sad to see these

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    - What sectors (financial, manufacturing etc) are you targeting?
    - Are you currently employed? (You mentioned IANG)
    I have experience in consulting clients from financial and healthcare industries. Both are interesting but I'm more interested in financial applications. I am currently employed but not in HK, I can apply for an IANG with a job offer as I graduated from HKU previously.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher
    It is actually a good thing for OP since there is scarcity of good tech people in HK. A lot of tech jobs opening, I receive a lot headhunter message in LinkedIn in the last 2 months.

Family first(HK) or job first(US), you choose.
    I am probably too green, haha. I only received messages from headhunters in Canada.

I have experience in consulting clients from financial and healthcare industries. Both are interesting but I'm more interested in financial applications. I am currently employed but not in HK, I can apply for an IANG with a job offer as I graduated from HKU previously.
    Here's my few cents

• If you're happy where you are, I'd stay there and gain experience and plan your move to Asia strategically - as an expat to say HK, Singapore, Japan or where ever you want - close enough to parents and to Asia if you're not coming to HK.
    • Unless there is some urgency to move to HK, delay as much as possible as you'll quickly figure out that even a mid-tier expat-ish salary will get you further than a mid-tier-completely-local-hire-with-local-experience. Get your CV in order, get some solid projects and get some management experience if possible. Get transferred if possible.
    • Language will matter less in some countries and also at a middle-tier with some employers, specially if you're back-office based.

Rest of the stuff like environment, quality of life etc etc... shit happens all over the world randomly. You're young enough and the most important thing for you (family aside) will be your career. You cannot plan your family, but you an plan your career and hopefully be flexible enough to atleast make a couple of trips to HK a year to visit them for a week or two.
    LifeInHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy

I moved over 7 months ago and haven't looked back since.
    I am in 100% agreement with you - except for the fact that it is incredibly difficult for someone who is out of uni for a year or two to "expat" back to HK.

I very seriously believe that it is better to move back after 5+ years experience and some good projects / track record and a beefed up CV than as an entry level-ish candidate.
    MandM! and Mrs. Jones like this.

I am probably too green, haha. I only received messages from headhunters in Canada.
    Self confidence is key, if you sell yourself out saying you are too green, you're not going to have a good experience here.
    glgan likes this.

You have a postgraduate from the states, and knowledge of the completely complicated field of AI and machine learning, and call yourself green??

You are already ahead of the curve, don't forget that.

glgan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Here's my few cents

• If you're happy where you are, I'd stay there and gain experience and plan your move to Asia strategically - as an expat to say HK, Singapore, Japan or where ever you want - close enough to parents and to Asia if you're not coming to HK.
    • Unless there is some urgency to move to HK, delay as much as possible as you'll quickly figure out that even a mid-tier expat-ish salary will get you further than a mid-tier-completely-local-hire-with-local-experience. Get your CV in order, get some solid projects and get some management experience if possible. Get transferred if possible.
    • Language will matter less in some countries and also at a middle-tier with some employers, specially if you're back-office based.

Rest of the stuff like environment, quality of life etc etc... shit happens all over the world randomly. You're young enough and the most important thing for you (family aside) will be your career. You cannot plan your family, but you an plan your career and hopefully be flexible enough to atleast make a couple of trips to HK a year to visit them for a week or two.
    Thanks for your advises, greatly appreciated! To be honest, I don't feel quite happy. I do love the working culture here, great and nice colleagues, interesting projects. However, outside of work I do not feel that happy. My family and partner are in Asia. I am not from HK but graduated there, my partner is in HK, so I will visit Asia at least twice a year. This have been going on for 3+ years, pretty hard for both of us. Parents are old, better spend more time to visit and take care of them.

My current company is a small firm working on cutting edge technologies. I started there during my studies and extended as a full time right after I graduated. Worked on a few solid projects, some of those I was the lead member but not the manager. Apparently it will take probably 2 years more to get into managerial position to truly gain management experience in this firm, due to the company size. I am also looking into large corporations, to me that will be a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    You have a postgraduate from the states, and knowledge of the completely complicated field of AI and machine learning, and call yourself green??

You are already ahead of the curve, don't forget that.
    Thanks! To me, there is always much to learn in this area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast