Like Tree48Likes

Is it still desirable to work in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by glgan:
    I am also looking into large corporations, to me that will be a great experience.
    Be strategic about it and look for companies that have presence in Asia in your target countries (assuming you feel you can commute more often to HK if you're close enough).

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher:
    It is actually a good thing for OP since there is scarcity of good tech people in HK. A lot of tech jobs opening, I receive a lot headhunter message in LinkedIn in the last 2 months.

Family first(HK) or job first(US), you choose.
    There's a scarcity of good tech people but also a scarcity of good tech jobs. After the last years proliferation of shitcoin startups, the market was flooded with average-at-best talent.
    tf19 likes this.

Thanks for your advises, greatly appreciated! To be honest, I don't feel quite happy. I do love the working culture here, great and nice colleagues, interesting projects. However, outside of work I do not feel that happy. My family and partner are in Asia. I am not from HK but graduated there, my partner is in HK, so I will visit Asia at least twice a year. This have been going on for 3+ years, pretty hard for both of us. Parents are old, better spend more time to visit and take care of them.

My current company is a small firm working on cutting edge technologies. I started there during my studies and extended as a full time right after I graduated. Worked on a few solid projects, some of those I was the lead member but not the manager. Apparently it will take probably 2 years more to get into managerial position to truly gain management experience in this firm, due to the company size. I am also looking into large corporations, to me that will be a great experience.
    Can you work remotely for them? That would significantly reduce your risk. It may require a degree of assertiveness if it's not their preference.
    shri and bdw like this.

Thanks! To me, there is always much to learn in this area
    I sent you a PM. There are lots of opportunities in IT in Hong Kong.

I agree, plenty of tech jobs in HK specially in AI, Cloud and Big data. These jobs are equally available in startups as well as big enterprises, at least that's what I can see.

7 years back when I graduated in HK it was a different story, even after a Masters there were not much job options and very slow growth. Things are great now specially for your field and with few years of experience you will be warmly welcomed in HK.

there are advantages :-

1: one of the lowest murder rate/ verylow crime rate
    2: world class public transportation
    3: large percentage of locals have basic english/some are even quite proficient in english (but no where compare to singapore)
    4: according to wiki, hk is in the same catergory as USA and Singapore in the democracy index
    5: low direct taxation, but high indirect taxes, ie, car, petrol, property, cigarettes, etc

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    there are advantages :-

1: one of the lowest murder rate/ verylow crime rate
    2: world class public transportation
    3: large percentage of locals have basic english/some are even quite proficient in english (but no where compare to singapore)
    4: according to wiki, hk is in the same catergory as USA and Singapore in the democracy index
    5: low direct taxation, but high indirect taxes, ie, car, petrol, property, cigarettes, etc
    Number 2 doesn't apply at the moment.
    Number 4, pmsl.
    Kowloon Goon and aw451 like this.

Checkout the US salaries for these big tech companies: https://www.levels.fyi/
    Not sure HK can be comparable even with the lower direct taxation, but the indirect ones will get ya.

Hi all,

Need some advises from members of this forum to shed some light about the job market and the general plans/visions of offices of multinational companies in HK i.e. whether they are planning to shift their headquarters somewhere else in Asia or moving their focus out of HK. The reason I'm asking this is due to the recent political turmoil and social unrest in HK.

First of all, I'm currently working in the tech industry, in particular AI and machine learning. Previously graduated from HKU and went to North America for postgraduate. I'm eligible for the IANG visa (international graduates visa). The reason of planning to move back is due to family reason and definitely also the fact that I miss living in HK and I really like the place! It's pretty depressing to see what's happening right now. I've always planning to move there since I graduated a year ago and my decision has been shaken by the current situation.

Can anyone provide a general overview? Also, if anyone who works in the industry which I'm working in or has information about it, can you please tell me about the job market situation? Based on my own research on LinkedIn platform, tbh there's not a lot of large corporations interested in hiring someone of my background. I've applied to some but was rejected.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Problem with HK is that a lot of the decent paying tech jobs are in finance and the recruiting cycles are pretty rigid. You can try as an experienced hire but analyst level is typically filled with local grads. Not impossible though. If you want to play the long game you can try to work for a multinational that are supportive of internal mobility (nearly all the bulge brackets and major tier 2 banks). On the positive note, your skill set is in demand.

The protests aren't going to last forever, but they likely won't end soon either. Coming to HK has risk, if the economy is on the way down and you have to lock yourself into a lease, is it worth it for you?

Some people say HK has crappy housing, I recently moved back to the states, and a few tedious things annoy me about housing here, and HK seems to have it on point.