Like Tree48Likes

Is it still desirable to work in Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is it still desirable to work in Hong Kong?

Hi all,

Need some advises from members of this forum to shed some light about the job market and the general plans/visions of offices of multinational companies in HK i.e. whether they are planning to shift their headquarters somewhere else in Asia or moving their focus out of HK. The reason I'm asking this is due to the recent political turmoil and social unrest in HK.

First of all, I'm currently working in the tech industry, in particular AI and machine learning. Previously graduated from HKU and went to North America for postgraduate. I'm eligible for the IANG visa (international graduates visa). The reason of planning to move back is due to family reason and definitely also the fact that I miss living in HK and I really like the place! It's pretty depressing to see what's happening right now. I've always planning to move there since I graduated a year ago and my decision has been shaken by the current situation.

Can anyone provide a general overview? Also, if anyone who works in the industry which I'm working in or has information about it, can you please tell me about the job market situation? Based on my own research on LinkedIn platform, tbh there's not a lot of large corporations interested in hiring someone of my background. I've applied to some but was rejected.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

It is easier to get a job if you are physically present in HK. Would I recommend coming to HK now, absolutely not! The protests are not going to end anytime soon, and you have to risk yourself every time going out, whether it being in the wrong place at the wrong time or all transportation options getting cut off and being stranded in another district away from home.

Of course it depends where you live/work/go, but generally life is altered a bit trying to guess where is going to have a problem. When you are walking around, you see a lot of damages and spray paint too.

I disagree with MandM! from the travelling and disruption point of view. I live on an island but travel a lot right across HK and get out and about a lot.

I have only once come across some protesters and then they were just hanging around a station waiting to go somewhere. A few times I have not been able to get the train I wanted but have always easily worked out an alternative route. I think it’s easy to miss what’s going on, yes there’s more graffiti around and some damage but to be honest it still looks tidier than London and many other big European cities,

I cant comment on the job situation though as I am in education,

I reckon places are pretty robust though. Look at the UK and Brexit, everyone said it would fail on business and finance as soon as the vote went to leave, In truth things have pretty much kept going even though politically it has been chaos for 3 years.

I would have thought that the US would have been the best location career wise for your freedom to grow/create, vocationally speaking.

What's the problem for you in the USA ? not convenient enough for you ? which I reckon it would be, plus the access to the great outdoors, which is socially a bit of fun with four distinct seasons, quality housing etc etc

Maybe you need more outside interests to occupy your free time, try new foods outside your usual ethnic preference, learn to break bread with new culturally diverse friends, learn an instrument well enough to jam with a few mates, car/bike clubs are always fun, learn to sail, or learn to fly a recreational aircraft on the weekends in the cheapest place on Earth to do so. Make use of the opportunity your new found freedom provides and grow from it, it will do you good.

The USA has a lot more to offer ( IMHO) long term on a work/life balance perspective.

Last edited by Skyhook; 15-10-2019 at 07:02 AM.

First of all, I'm currently working in the tech industry, in particular AI and machine learning.
    - What sectors (financial, manufacturing etc) are you targeting?
    - Are you currently employed? (You mentioned IANG)

HK is about the last place which comes to mind when thinking about tech jobs.

Let's see:

1. Increased likelihood of living under CCP censorship. Not sure if this is any worse than living under fake news?

2. Air pollution

3. Cars and pedestrians basically co-existing due to tiny pavements and even tinier curbs

4. Extremely small housing

5. Food that is mostly sourced from China including pork that has kevlar like skin!

6. Asian work culture

ok, now for the good parts:

1. close to everything in Asia

2. Low taxes

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    HK is about the last place which comes to mind when thinking about tech jobs.
    It is actually a good thing for OP since there is scarcity of good tech people in HK. A lot of tech jobs opening, I receive a lot headhunter message in LinkedIn in the last 2 months.

Family first(HK) or job first(US), you choose.

I had same thinking about 18 years ago when moved to USA for an IT job, now I had three kids and still in USA, but I understand your situation.
    1. Family if you don't have sibling to take care parents in HK, you may better go back.
    2. if you don't have kid, it is easier to move between HK and USA giving your IT skills, so you can try for a couple of years.
    3. I know one of my friend's brother did the same and moved back to HK for about 4 yeas, then went back to USA because the Asian work hours just too much compare to USA.
    4. Find a girl/boy friend in USA, life will be much easier with two of you.
    5. for IT job, it will easier to find IT job in any place if you worked in one of big tech company for a couple of years in USA,
    6. I can't comment on current HK situation since I don't live there, but watch too much tv news is not good, better go back to HK for a month to see and feel it.

glgan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    Let's see:

1. Increased likelihood of living under CCP censorship. Not sure if this is any worse than living under fake news?

2. Air pollution

3. Cars and pedestrians basically co-existing due to tiny pavements and even tinier curbs

4. Extremely small housing

5. Food that is mostly sourced from China including pork that has kevlar like skin!

6. Asian work culture

ok, now for the good parts:

1. close to everything in Asia

2. Low taxes
    Plenty of CCP censorship in the West too, at least HKers care enough to push back against it.
    shri, AsianXpat0, SannyJ and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast