Like Tree47Likes

Hong Kong or KL?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    The protests from what I see mainly affect the poor people. Blocking their way to work, causing huge travel delays (let's be honest the government officials are sitting nicely in their HK Island homes and traveling by car). I have visited my routine shops, the one business owner practically crying to me about what's going on. These are hard working mom and pop shops. Not those who control HK.
    I agree but would go further and say it's affecting everyone. Many, if not most, people who work in the private sector are being (or will be) adversely affected with the downturn in economic activity. Tourism, restaurants and retail are being particularly hard hit with many places cutting staff (or reducing the number of staff on each shift) to try and stay afloat. Multinationals are cutting back on HK expansion plans and I'm aware of at least a couple which are considering shifting some of their HK operations elsewhere. I doubt if there are many people in Hong Kong on whom the present situation has not had an adverse affect. And, of course, there's all the people who have been assaulted or threatened by one side or the other.

If the cause of unrest is to target the HKSAR Govt, that's probably the group of people who are least affected while the average HKer is bearing the brunt of it. I'll leave it to others to decide if this is tragic or ironic.
    MandM!, shri, merchantms and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    All businesses have been hit hard... Seriously. Even ours.

That is why I said that the PP seriously needs to check the financials of the company they are coming in to work with.
    Exactly, it would be wise to do so. The OP likely will take up a lease, pay the 2 months deposit, buy furniture's and then potentially faced with unemployment at any time. That would be consider losses should the OP have to leave HK suddenly.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Exactly, it would be wise to do so. The OP likely will take up a lease, pay the 2 months deposit, buy furniture's and then potentially faced with unemployment at any time. That would be consider losses should the OP have to leave HK suddenly.
    If OPs employer really wants them here in HK and is struggling to get the post filled, they might be willing to agree to cover the lease payments if they are made redundant before the break period is up. It costs OP nothing to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    If OPs employer really wants them here in HK and is struggling to get the post filled, they might be willing to agree to cover the lease payments if they are made redundant before the break period is up. It costs OP nothing to ask.
    Aka ask for a company lease so the OP is not liable. Even if the company agreed to pay, if the company has fiscal issues, they might not even be able to pay in the future.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Aka ask for a company lease so the OP is not liable. Even if the company agreed to pay, if the company has fiscal issues, they might not even be able to pay in the future.
    From OP's perspective, that would be better but it's also a much bigger thing to ask the company to commit it. My original proposal doesn't put the company on the hook for anything unless they make him redundant before the break clause kicks in on OP's first lease.

I'm assuming in all this that OP is not getting a housing allowance?

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Or just go month to month for the first year, at a serviced apartment. I suspect there should be vacancies at many of these sort of places around town.
    MandM!, traineeinvestor and jack55 like this.

Live somewhere in the New Territories away from the urban areas. Selfishly speaking, where we live, we are never disturbed, and there are two MTR lines and two major highways for buses via all three cross-harbour tunnels to reach Kowloon and Central for work, and it's not often that all the routes are down due to protest activity. But there is the overhead of increased commuting time, of course.

Hong Kong has a much better location. It is in the middle of Asia! However, even before the protests, the city has been on a massive decline at a faster rate than other cities in Asia. It is also sensitive to Chinese money.... be it in the form of retail consumption or money laundering to inflate real assets.

Food in Hong Kong I would rate as below mediocre. And even lower considering the price to value.

KL is a totally different city. More chilled out and less developed. If you don't care about money, you will get a better quality of life. Food will be slightly better, but price to value will be significantly improved.

I would pick KL over HK. Ten years ago, it would be the other way around.

shri, Karinaa and Tadashi like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4