Like Tree47Likes

Hong Kong or KL?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hong Kong or KL?

Hi everyone,

I have received (and accepted) a job offer to work at a fashion tech business in Wan Chai from early Jan and my partner and I will be moving out to HK around the same time (from London). I also received an offer in Kuala Lumpur for a different business which I ultimately rejected in favour of the HK role. A lot of this decision was to do with the city - we are not moving for money; it's to be in a great base from which to explore Asia, to enjoy the food, enjoy the city and be amongst the culture and beautiful natural surroundings etc.

At the time I had the two job offers, the situation in HK was large scale protests but very peaceful and orderly, and not really violent at al. I am wondering seriously whether, given the deterioration of the situation recently, people believe it's still the right decision to move here at this time? The UK media makes the situation look quite severe but of course there is always the incentive of the media to dramatise situations somewhat so perhaps this should also be taken into account?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

One thing I am reasonably sure of about HK - the city is polarized and certainly very tense.

Depending on the demographic of your co-workers and the depth in financing of your business, your family situation and all that... HK might or might not be a good place for the next year or so.

Been here since '93.. The city will recover, but it will be a changed city. You might or might not find it a place that you wanted to move to six months ago.

Hong Kong is still a safe, convenient city by many means, but it is changed. I don't think that many of us are optimistic about the future over here, either way.

I, personally, would reconsider KL. $$ go much further over there, and it is as vibrant if not more so with food and culture. Though a bit more conservative if that's an issue.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

If the business in KL has better funding than the one in HK, choose that. Basically, you need one incredibly strong and stable pillar. If the fashion tech biz in Wan Chai is stable, then you’ll be fine. Perhaps request some clauses in your contract eg. Relocation to your home country upon termination, 3 month notice period etc.

delete

HK is a great place, but I wouldn't want to move to a new place that has serious ongoing issues. You are starting a new life with basically bad luck.

I would not live in KL either - my personal opinion.

Perhaps wait a couple years when things clear up - it will be a much better experience coming when things are not so tense.

Go KL, HK is fecked

Does your partner have a visa to stay in HK, does he have a job already ready for HK.

Never lived in KL so not sure, but should be easier to live in and right now for sure it's less tense. Sure looks beautiful and always ranked very high in livable rankings, as well as friendly for expats. I'd go there. When HK gets better, you can consider moving here if you don't like KL. Just my feeling.

I wouldn't come. Unless you like tear gas and living history.

KL would still give you an experience in Asia.

It's safe here, and I don't think anything too drastic will happen, but it's very unstable. Difficult to continue normal work days. This week has been bad.

chuckster007 and rkenia852 like this.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 13-11-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast