Like Tree80Likes

Moving to HK with the current situation..need advice

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for this info, DeletedUser!

We are just waiting for kids to finish their school year, then make the move in August next year...
    I am also working here and I am not very convinced to move just because of the current situation...

though, hubby will be moving, tentatively in March 2020...

Shit will not die down in HK, it will continue to get worse, Govt wont budge (BJ wont allow it), Students wont budge (all that they have done will be wasted). More deaths, serious injuries and more people arrested is all I see continuing to happen even for the whole of 2020.

MandM!, Mrs. Jones and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    As a side note, before all this started, HK ranked third on the "Freest Countries" list. I'm pretty sure we'll be sliding down the list next time they compile it.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...est-countries/
    Yet people said HK was soooo bad and that's why they have to protest. Like I said. I've been living here 10 years and enjoyed a lot of it. Thought it was fine.
    traineeinvestor and HKG2019 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Locals still need to eat. I doubt they will go bankrupt. They will adjust. But I do think their pay and working conditions will get worse.

They meaning HK people.
    traineeinvestor and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Shit will not die down in HK, it will continue to get worse, Govt wont budge (BJ wont allow it), Students wont budge (all that they have done will be wasted). More deaths, serious injuries and more people arrested is all I see continuing to happen even for the whole of 2020.
    Well said. Please join the geo meetup.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie822:
    Thanks for this info, DeletedUser!

We are just waiting for kids to finish their school year, then make the move in August next year...
    I am also working here and I am not very convinced to move just because of the current situation...

though, hubby will be moving, tentatively in March 2020...
    Put it on hold till 2021/2022.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Most people would consider the option to hire a maid/ domestic helper to far outweigh the political instability.
    of course mate! The convenience of having an under-paid and over-worked slave far outweighs the likelihood of getting your kids tear gassed
    z754103 and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    of course mate! The convenience of having an under-paid and over-worked slave far outweighs the likelihood of getting your kids tear gassed
    Having lived in countries with maid cultures, you would be surprised at what keeps expats and also what makes expats return.

Don't give parents too much of a pat on the back haha
    Jaz Paul and MandM! like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Must be a different circle of friends. I personally know five people, primarily entrepreneurs and digital nomads, including myself, that have departed.
    Mrs. Jones and sv336 like this.

We are going

Having lived abroad (US, Middle East, Europe) over the past 30 years - I am sorry to say that HK has been the most miserable experience we have endured (Desert Storm 1&2 were over and done with in days.... not months).

We are leaving in 100 days (who's counting).....

DO NOT GO TO HK

sv336 and tf19 like this.