Like Tree80Likes

Moving to HK with the current situation..need advice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Moving to HK with the current situation..need advice

We are a family of 4 with a planned move to HK due to work in 2020.
    We are aware of the protests and not very encouraging..

Need some thoughts on these

There is another thread going on: https://geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread354767.html

My response stands. You need to evaluate the income / opportunities v/s the personal risk and the risks associated with your employer's business.

merchantms, MandM! and biffski like this.

I would say now is not a good time to be moving to HK. It's hard to get around; it's hard for kids in Schools; there is a lot of "ambient tear gas" so even if you avoid protests you still get gassed. A month or two ago I would have said it was still OK, but now... not so much.

In my view, it will be very difficult to organise and arrange the normal activities to move and set up in a new city.

hongkong7 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    They may be, there may not be. But in the short term, getting around town, buying furniture and goods to furnish a home, getting kids to and from school, is extremely challenging. It's so hard to give a concrete answer but if I were moving with children, I'd be very hesitant to do so until there was some sort of resolution.

I don't think it will continue at this week's level of chaos but it's very unpredictable.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Those who arrived right before all the shit started and arguably the only possible deterrent was air pollution must be sorely ruing their decision of moving here.

shri, biffski, mmocha and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    There's a record number of teachers and kids leaving the Australian school next month (school year ends in December). I was lucky I gave notice already back in September so I don't have to pay penalty one terms fees plus full year capital levy, which amounts to around $122k in penalty fees for 2 kids. Otherwise the school doesnt release the end of year reports etc. I wonder if given the circumstances they will waive this penalty for all the families deciding bugger off now.

Good news if you are looking for a teaching job or school place, try the Aussie school. The new school year starts 29th January. I saw them advertising for teaching staff when I was flicking through the SCMP paper in a Starbucks the other day.
    MandM! and TheBrit like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I'll also hold my hand up and admit that my hopes that this would die down after the Extradition Bill was (finally) killed have been unrealised. Right now, I have no idea how long it will go on for but as of today, the violence is escalating, the disruption to lives is increasing and the divisions between us have grown and become more entrenched. Social media has become an collection of platforms for spreading propaganda and fake or heavily spun "news" (both sides) with nearly zero debate the last time I looked (political threads and posts aren't worth reading these days so It's been a while since I bothered).

However and whenever this ends, there are at least a couple of things which I consider likely: HK's police force clearly lack the resources to deal with this kind of situation and will get a lot larger and HK will struggle to maintain its standing as an international finance centre and regional headquarters as multinationals tilt to other, more stable and safer, cities. As someone who has spent more than half his life in the SAR, I hope I am wrong on both counts.
    Plutark, shri, hongkong7 and 3 others like this.

As a side note, before all this started, HK ranked third on the "Freest Countries" list. I'm pretty sure we'll be sliding down the list next time they compile it.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...est-countries/

MandM! likes this.

Most people would consider the option to hire a maid/ domestic helper to far outweigh the political instability.

MandM! likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast