View Poll Results: If you were shopping for furniture what would be the best place you would go to if you are on a limi

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • mainland

2 28.57%
  • hongkong

5 71.43%
Like Tree3Likes

Canadian moving to Hong Kong in April next year would love hear your advice on what to do first

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian moving to Hong Kong in April next year would love hear your advice on what to do first

I will already have a job but my spouse will be looking for a nursing job. We both speak English/French.
    We are planning on moving to Tung Chung as this will be most convenient for the airport. We do not have not kids at this time

I would love to hear any advice you may have on the best rental properties, the best place to buy the necessary things to set up a home?

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Ma Wan is convenient for the Airport. Direct bus every 30mins and takes 30mins. Ferry 25 mins to central. Bit nicer than Tung Chung I would say.

Thank you.

Where will you work ? As in, seems you want to live near the airport, you're a pilot or will work at the airport ?

* edit: et également ça veut dire quoi ce <br><br> !

Last edited by jrkob; 29-11-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Ca va?

Ikea is the simplest answer to furnish your place with new stuff, Tree is a local brand that seems well regarded but pricey, many expats come and go (more going as of late I'd imagine) and sell quite good 2nd hand furniture for fair prices and if you find someone selling all their stuff you can strike a deal and hire some local movers. Pricerite is a local chain with most of the basics, JHC (Japan Home Center) will get you most of the small appliances and such, Franc Franc for dishes, towels, and some furnishings.

Keep in mind when you walk into a store here it's not like Canada (or even other Asian countries) where you can pick out everything and have it delivered by the next day, especially when it comes to things like queen sized beds. It might be 1-2+ weeks for some things to be available.

As others on this forum will likely suggest you should get a serviced apartment for a month or two and get a feel for the different areas in HK, the atmosphere varies wildly. Personally I don't care for Tung Chung, it's a big bunch of high rises and a mall, although it is close to nice hiking and the Lantau Country Park. Tung Chung has also been one of the flash points during the crisis the last few months.

You should look at Discovery Bay, I hear a lot of people who work at the airport live there and it's also only 30mins boat ride to downtown and has been isolated from the recent unrest. Prices for flats of 600+sqft will be $16,000 (a real bargain) bit likely start around $20,000 for a decent sized 2brm.

Given the current crisis unless your employer is covering the cost with a settlement package you may not want to invest too much in furnishing your place only to find HK isn't a place where you want to stay.

Last edited by Cornmeal; 30-11-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    shri, TaD_LaLa and LifeInHK like this.

Read the Canadian laws on taxation if you don't want to be double taxed while working here.

Plenty of good things secondhand on the expat classified websites.

You can download an app called Gogo Van to easily arrange a van and help to move it.

I’m a Canadian living in TC who recently relocated as well. With a job at the airport. If you’d like to send me a private message, I’d be more than happy to help you out and answer any questions you have.
    We love TC and wouldn’t move anywhere else. Having said that, everyone lives where suits their lifestyle and needs etc... and for us TC is that place. And yes, we’ve certainly looked around also.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Residence

You might consider a village house. someone mentioned Ma Wan...nice. Also, near Tung Chung there are a few villages nestled in the hills around the area. The rent is reasonable, with a bit more space than most flats in HK and you get a bit of nature.

I am a Canadian as well...been here for 24 years in village housing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast