Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fayeg09
  • 1 Post By rani

Cheapest way to get lots of luggage to HK

Question Cheapest way to get lots of luggage to HK

Hi, my partner and I are moving out to HK in January and looking at the best options for getting luggage out there. We expect we will need around 5 30kg suitcases in total. Cathay pacific offer 30kg per traveller so this would still leave 3x suitcases. They charge a total of USD$180 per additional 5kg (!!) meaning this would be totally unfeasible.

There are baggage shipping services also such as mybaggage.com which would ship the extra 3 for £160 each (£480) total also.

We are essentially looking for the lowest cost combination of flights+luggage and would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks!!

Try Seven Seas Worldwide, they will ship suitcases both per air freight and sea freight.

I travelled over with Virgin instead of Cathay. They charge 60GBP per additional bag and I only had 2 x 30KG and they actually didn't charge me at all. I chose Virgin because it was cheaper for additional luggage.
    I also have a trip planned back to UK one month after arriving, so will bring my other luggage across then. So not sure if you have any visitors planned or other trips to seperate out the bringing over!

dfc likes this.

British Airways also charge 65GBP / bag

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...weight-baggage

dfc likes this.

Genuine Question ! ~40+ years ago, I used "Unaccompanied Baggage" facility to grab much cheaper rates to the Sultanate of Oman, and a couple of years later, for the return trip too.

It meant that I delivered to an air freight terminal - away from the Main Check in at Kai Tak

The [in my case] Ham radio Antenna wasn't on my flights, and I received notification a week or so later to come & collect it at Seeb International airport.

That was/is the cheaper way to get stuff around the globe.

Nowadays - well - YMMV.

See if any expats are moving to your location to see if they have extra space in their shipping container. You can pay them to allow you to ship a few bags as well. This is probably the cheapest way but will take a little more work.

Exclamation

Question is - do you REALLY need so much "stuff"??

There's plenty of shopping facilities in HK, and without the iniquitous VAT that you suffer in UK !! [and most items come from "local sources" - thus evading shipping and other hindrances back in UK.]

Added to which, there's expats going away permanently & wishing to sell off their own belongings - both here & on another HK xpat website. Just that can save you a fortune!!

I would suggest that you examine your baggage lists and see just what you can do without!

Many people arrived with just a Rucksack and prospered - as did I - with my honey of a HK Chinese SWMBO - married here for 41 years.

What most people here won't tell you is that it can be a graveyard for European marriages - the male "partner" is straying / lured away by one of the local ladies - Seldom one of "Easy Virtues" either.

bdw

China Eastern allow 2 pieces of check in luggage (total 46kg) per person as free standard. I am leaving HK next week but going to visit the in laws in Tokyo first, will be travelling via China Eastern with 184kg of luggage (4 people) and dump a heap of shit at their house (winter clothes etc) before I head to my final destination of Perth where it was 42 degrees the other day and wont need any of that crap anymore. As a bonus, was really cheap only HKD$2k for a return ticket all in.

Im also using Seven Seas for sea shipment of around 50 boxes from HK to Perth, so far my experience with them has been great. They are picking up all my crap this Thursday and then 6-8 weeks later will arrive in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    British Airways also charge 65GBP / bag

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...weight-baggage
    That price is the overweight charge for one bag if over 23 kg. From Germany to HKG the first bag costs 70 Euros and the third and fourth bag 140 each. If SAS fly your route, you can fill up to 10 pieces total of 23 Kg at 85 Euros each (and I believe they have lowered that price). I think that Finair has a good scheme too. Haven't checked that thoroughly though.