Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rani
  • 1 Post By Fayeg09

Cheapest way to get lots of luggage to HK

Closed Thread

Question Cheapest way to get lots of luggage to HK

Hi, my partner and I are moving out to HK in January and looking at the best options for getting luggage out there. We expect we will need around 5 30kg suitcases in total. Cathay pacific offer 30kg per traveller so this would still leave 3x suitcases. They charge a total of USD$180 per additional 5kg (!!) meaning this would be totally unfeasible.

There are baggage shipping services also such as mybaggage.com which would ship the extra 3 for £160 each (£480) total also.

We are essentially looking for the lowest cost combination of flights+luggage and would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks!!

Try Seven Seas Worldwide, they will ship suitcases both per air freight and sea freight.

I travelled over with Virgin instead of Cathay. They charge 60GBP per additional bag and I only had 2 x 30KG and they actually didn't charge me at all. I chose Virgin because it was cheaper for additional luggage.
    I also have a trip planned back to UK one month after arriving, so will bring my other luggage across then. So not sure if you have any visitors planned or other trips to seperate out the bringing over!

dfc likes this.

British Airways also charge 65GBP / bag

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...weight-baggage

dfc likes this.

See if any expats are moving to your location to see if they have extra space in their shipping container. You can pay them to allow you to ship a few bags as well. This is probably the cheapest way but will take a little more work.

China Eastern allow 2 pieces of check in luggage (total 46kg) per person as free standard. I am leaving HK next week but going to visit the in laws in Tokyo first, will be travelling via China Eastern with 184kg of luggage (4 people) and dump a heap of shit at their house (winter clothes etc) before I head to my final destination of Perth where it was 42 degrees the other day and wont need any of that crap anymore. As a bonus, was really cheap only HKD$2k for a return ticket all in.

Im also using Seven Seas for sea shipment of around 50 boxes from HK to Perth, so far my experience with them has been great. They are picking up all my crap this Thursday and then 6-8 weeks later will arrive in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    British Airways also charge 65GBP / bag

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...weight-baggage
    That price is the overweight charge for one bag if over 23 kg. From Germany to HKG the first bag costs 70 Euros and the third and fourth bag 140 each. If SAS fly your route, you can fill up to 10 pieces total of 23 Kg at 85 Euros each (and I believe they have lowered that price). I think that Finair has a good scheme too. Haven't checked that thoroughly though.

If you travel CX business class as a member, they allow you to carry 3 bags of 32 kgs each. If there's two of you, that's 6 bags. But yes, that would be paying for business class then.

If you have an address in HK (business or hotel) you can just send it by courier. I sent my stuff by DHL (through an aggregator) and it was £50 per 20kg case or something.

Guys... this is / was an old thread that was bumped by a spammer ...