Like Tree24Likes

Move to HK with a kid in current environment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Move to HK with a kid in current environment

Hello everyone

I currently have an offer from my existing firm to relocate to HK. We are a couple with 1 kid who is about to start kindergarten. I have been to HK many times earlier on short trips but never stayed in this city. Considering the intensity of protests have gone down since the peak in October 2019, the situation seems to have improved. Is it still ok to move there with a family? Has the daily life of families staying in HK returning back to normal?

Thanks in advance

For many expats in mid-levels etc. I'm not sure that day to day life ever really changed that much with the exception of November school closures and the most intense protest activity etc. Hong Kong still feels markedly different with far fewer tourists, which has its pros and cons. But with there no longer being significant protests every single weekend it is much more lively than it was on evenings and weekends.

There would be a lot of items much higher in my list of considerations if moving here with a family... Housing budget / the sort of area and environment you see yourself moving to would be a helpful starting point to help us answer your question better.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky
    Hong Kong still feels markedly different with far fewer tourists, which has its pros and cons.
    That is a pro for me. I remember you barely had space to walk on the pavement in Causeway Bay, Mongkok or Tsim Sha Shui prior to the protests because of the tourists everywhere. It doesn't help that many HK pavements are narrow and sometimes rather uneven and rough. But now at least, with fewer tourists clogging the streets, I don't have that suffocating sensation as before when you have to fight for your own space as you try to navigate around the crowd.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    junichitsuyo and MatthieuTofu like this.

The underlying problems never went away. Things may be quieter this month, these past weeks, but just wait until the government comes up with another half-baked idea or stirs the pot for some reasons or another.

If there are periods like last November, I would say, regardless of your lifestyle you would be affected and, no, you shouldn't come here. No one can say if the future months or years will remain quiet or not... LegCo elections are coming up in Sept. 2020 so everyone may be well behaved leading up to that. If the government tries to disqualify pro-democracy candidates, shit could hit the fan...

Like the other poster said, there are other considerations and the political situation has to be taken as a token factor to consider, too. If you're making 2x your income, then yes, these problems here are probably worth putting up with. If you're coming here on a reduced salary, putting your small child in air pollution and cramped spaces, then no... ‍♀

Coolboy likes this.

Thanks for sharing info guys.. Things like salary, cost of living, locality, etc is already sorted.. also the fact that not many expats have not moved out of HK yet and their life seems to be normalizing makes me lean towards moving to HK...but as of now, the only thing that is stopping us to firm up a decision is the current situation and stability of HK in future..

the only thing that is stopping us to firm up a decision is the current situation and stability of HK in future..
    And you probably already know that nobody can answer that with certainty so what kind of reassurance you are looking for!!!

current situation and stability
    This is a global concern - not just HK. No matter where you are, there is significant political and/or financial upheaval on the horizon in almost any country I can think that is a potential relocation target for expats.

The media makes it look like it’s all over the city. It’s not. Only a small part when and if it even happens. HK is still very safe. For singles and families etc. Don’t let any possible protests hold you back from any promotion for you. HK is great. Love this city!

Right now it's very quiet, but as others have said, no one can predict what will happen as there hasn't been any resolution from the government side towards addressing people's demands. However I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll see what happened in Oct/Nov anytime soon again - e.g. road blocks, use of live rounds, etc.

We have young children and for now we are staying, although we're making plans so that if we need a quick exit we can make one. But I don't think I would move here right now honestly unless the package is really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond
    The media makes it look like it’s all over the city. It’s not. Only a small part when and if it even happens. HK is still very safe. For singles and families etc. Don’t let any possible protests hold you back from any promotion for you. HK is great. Love this city! ������
    Good point. While there are some reports of increased in crime as the police resources are diverted to crackdown on the protests, overall, HK is still a very safe city for expats. And as you said, the protests also tend to be localized events and do not affect the whole city, so long as the OP is aware which location is having protests, he or she can avoid it. It's true, sometimes the news report make it sounds like HK is engulfed in a inferno that is burning down the whole city, but that is far from the real reality on the ground.
    MABinPengChau and hongkong7 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast