• 3 Post By hongkong7
  • 5 Post By Hkemail888
  • 1 Post By rani
  • 1 Post By Hkemail888
  • 1 Post By hongkong7

UK nurse wanting to work in HK

UK nurse wanting to work in HK

Hello everyone,

I am a UK registered nurse with two years experience and I am thinking of moving to HK.
    I went to UK for education when I was 18 and finished my nursing degree in 2017. I can speak and write fluent English and Cantonese but my concern is if HK nursing council would recognise my degree from UK.
    I really want to move back to Hong Kong as that’s my home.

Your advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Annie

Last edited by annie_11; 20-01-2020 at 04:16 AM.

There is usually a shortage of nurses and you should be able to get a work permit assuming you do not already hold a Permanent HKID card. The private hospitals pay much better. There’s the nose bleed expensive “Rich Man’s diseases” hospital catering for folks with deep pockets like the Sanatorium in Happy Valley or the Matilda on the Peak. Then there are more reasonably priced private Hospitals like The Canosa you could try. If you are feeling altruistic you could go for Government Hospitals such as The Pamela Youde Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan or a Teaching Hospital like Queen Mary in Pokfulam. The third alternative is working for large Health services owned or run by Expat owned Doctors and Administrators. These are usually housed in top grade buildings in Central. If you need more information I could try and find you some. Good luck.

Last edited by AtomicBunnie; 20-01-2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Grammar
    annie_11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by annie_11
    Hello everyone,

I am a UK registered nurse with two years experience and I am thinking of moving to HK.
    I went to UK for education when I was 18 and finished my nursing degree in 2017. I can speak and write fluent English and Cantonese but my concern is if HK nursing council would recognise my degree from UK.
    I really want to move back to Hong Kong as that’s my home.

Your advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Annie
    OK you need to be registered and so you need to pass the nursing board exam . Since you are fairly fresh out should be doable for you as the material you will be familiar with already : you can take the exam in English or Chinese if your written Chinese is weak . You will very easily find work in the public hospital here once your licensed : go to hospital authority web site to view part time or full time vacancies : I believe there is an old thread here about passing the nurse board exam : it will be well worth it as you will for sure never be out of a job in this town : good luck
    shri, markranson and annie_11 like this.

Sorry to state the obvious but why don’t you ask the HK nursing council?

"The private hospitals pay much better"
    better but I wouldn't say much better
    its just that the working experience is much nicer there
    HK$32,675 - HK$52,578 (HGPS Point 15 – 25) per month - that is in the government hospitals
    the most impt is first to clear the exam

Nurses at government hospitals are overworked and stressed. Would look for work in a private hospital or clinic.

annie_11 likes this.

for sure!

annie_11 likes this.

Thank you so much for your reply and useful information. So the first thing I got to do is to pass the nursing board exam. I have heard a lot of things about the exam and many oversea nurses said it’s quite hard and the passing mark is also quite low.
    Any idea how do I apply for the exam? But of course the first thing I want to do is to take time and do some study. At the moment I’m in the UK and working full time so it’s going to be challenging but I’m determined to do this as I really want to go home.

Do you have any tips and advice about the exam? It’s written and practical both as far as I am aware.

Sorry to ask, what about enroll nurse to start with? I don’t mind to do any other clinical/ nursing related job, or healthcare assistant to start with then work my way up.

thank u so much for your help.

Annie

Thank you so much for all the useful information.
    I do have a HK ID card. The first thing I need to do is to find out more information about the nursing exam.
    it’s just I am now working full time in the UK and I will also need to find time to study as well.

i would like to prepare for this exam ASAP. I was even thinking of moving back to HK then study but not so sure about this as I will be jobless while studying.

Quote Originally Posted by annie_11
    Thank you so much for your reply and useful information. So the first thing I got to do is to pass the nursing board exam. I have heard a lot of things about the exam and many oversea nurses said it’s quite hard and the passing mark is also quite low.
    Any idea how do I apply for the exam? But of course the first thing I want to do is to take time and do some study. At the moment I’m in the UK and working full time so it’s going to be challenging but I’m determined to do this as I really want to go home.

Do you have any tips and advice about the exam? It’s written and practical both as far as I am aware.

Sorry to ask, what about enroll nurse to start with? I don’t mind to do any other clinical/ nursing related job, or healthcare assistant to start with then work my way up.

thank u so much for your help.

Annie
    The exam is reasonably tough but can be passed just like any other exam if you know the syllabus and work diligent on past papers : it's essentially the nursing final year exam : once you know what they like to ask your half way there :
    I think your next stop is the nursing council they can advice applique dates syllabus : then maybe find a study group of foreigners about to sit : if you fail just do it again till you pass .
    Sure you can work part time in a medical clinic etc while studying so long as you do not do any nursing duties that need registration . Forget enrolled you'll get the rn ticket eventually .
    I would not recommend full time health care assistant at hospital authority in the interim as the work load and is going to make it difficult to study and achieve your primary goal which is registration.
    Once you get the syllabus and past papers nothing to stop you starting now after all
    bbchris likes this.