Like Tree62Likes

Best location with a bunch of considerations :)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Also, don't think Chi Fu allows Pets. But could be wrong. I met a family with a golden retriever living at Pok Fu Lam gardens (next to Chi Fu). Remember her saying it was not easy and neighbors saying the dog was too big. They moved as soon as their lease was up.

If you're considering DB you might also want to have a look at Park Island: direct ferry to Central (or shuttle buses to different MTR stations), choice of high-rise (condo) or low-rise ("village"), central shopping plaza and various village shops/ restaurants, plenty of green areas (including a dedicated dog garden), plenty of expat families.

(1) The Belcher's at HKU...

(2) The Merton at Kennedy Town.

(3) Park Towers at Tin Hau

Last edited by nivek2046; 20-01-2020 at 02:13 PM.

You might want to consider Lamma Island.

For your budget you would get 2100sq ft net there, and the island is super nice for dogs.The island doesn't have cars, and the hiking trails no matter where you live cannot be more than 300m from your door step where you can let the dog off the leash.

There is a pretty solid community there as well with activities during the day, so your wife will not be lonely.

Cornmeal likes this.

We came over 10 years ago with our 6 yr old & a large black dog (Gordon Setter) from UK. He was 20 months old then. We moved to a village house apartment with roof top in Tseung Kwan O. In a previous HK stint we lived without a dog just off Hollywood Road near Central in a high rise apartment, but I couldn’t imagine bringing a large dog to live in that environment, mainly for exercise needs.

Based on these experiences, my thoughts on your situation:

1. We chose a location that had immediate access to hiking trails that the dog could run on off the lead. Any dog over 25kg must be on a lead at all times, except in country parks, so it was important to allow him that freedom as he was used to roaming all over the Yorkshire Dales. However the country hiking trails are a lot busier than they used to be but early morning is still ok, although not a problem these days as our dog is now well passed the running around stage.

2. Around Clearwater Bay you should get 2 floors at least of a village house, so 1400 sq ft, for your budget with easy access to hiking trails / beaches (winter only for latter with dogs, again early morning best). There are vet clinics close by, not too expensive ( by HK standards).

3. Some locals (mostly women) will make alarming sounds and faces when they see your large dog ( I find the likelihood increases when they are younger and with a boyfriend who they can then cling to and demand protection from ) Most locals I come across are too friendly, want a photo, come up and pet him. Not a problem now, but in his younger & more typical crazy setter phase, he liked to put his paws on people’s shoulders and lick their faces, which wasn’t always appreciated! Will depend on how cute your dog looks I guess, Setters are pretty goofy looking and cute.

3. Downside to a village location is other dogs. There will be lots. They will be mostly under 25 kgs and never on a lead. They will bark, yap, come straight for your dog in an aggressive manner, to which their owners will be oblivious. Unless you or your dog reacts, then there will be a righteous commotion and you will be abused, sworn at. Try to get to know all the neighborhood dogs, so they don’t react every time you step outside with the dogs. For strange dogs when out walking we carry a large stout stick to try to prevent them getting too close. Our dog has been attacked a few times, he isn’t aggressive and won’t fight back so we use the stick as a barrier, until the owner comes to abuse us and remove their dog.

4. CWB has a good-sized expat population, an international kindergarten, a supermarket that caters to expats, and an expat staffed medical clinic nearby. With a baby and dogs I would suggest getting a car, because hauling a baby around with paraphernalia in the height of summer on mini buses and MTR isnt pleasant. Plenty of decent 2nd hand cars available at reasonable money ( check the ads on here for expats leaving and selling their cars, you can usually see full service history with them).

5. Most apartments /house have marble floors. This is exceptionally bad for large dogs and their joints, invest in plenty of rugs to prevent problems in the future. If you choose a place that requires stairs, think about a harness to help them up. We got one from Amazon that is very easy to use to just take some of the weight off for him.

6. Ticks! Loads in the bushes, because of wild boar & deer. Frontline is useless, get a Seresto collar from vets - quite pricey here, might pay to bring some with you.

Good luck!

Original Post Deleted
    That requires a definition. I feel less isolated hiking an empty trail alone than commuting in a full MTR car (back when I actually did)

Quote Originally Posted by Reset Fields:
    OK, so 1st off I'll apologize because this question will seem similar to many some others in here. Give me a minute before you yell at me please

Moving from NY to HK

- I'm in my early 40's and wife is late 30's (don't party at all really)
    - Wife is currently pregnant with our 1st child and will be moving to HK after the baby is born.
    - I'll be working in Central
    - We live outside of NY city at the moment and appreciate the peace and quite.
    - We have a two dogs (one is a very big dog) and two cats ..
    - Wife will be at home with our baby when I'm at work (I'd like her to not feel isolated).

So keeping in mind that this is my 1st child and I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about as far as that's concerned.

I'm trying to figure out which areas would best for us to live:
    - Where it doesn't take me forever to commute to work (more time with family)
    - Where we feel like we can make some friends \ join an expat community (I'm South African, wife is American)
    - Where my dog is not cramped into a tiny apartment and possibly has a patch of grass \ small yard.
    - Where I feel like I can escape to some form of nature for a hike \ walk

Currently I feel like most of these can be achieved, but with quite a long commute. Village house in Clear Water Bay is the area I've been looking at thus far.

If my budget is $35 - $50K is Clear Water Bay likely to be my best option? I will be working in HK for a few months before the family comes over, so I'll have some time to scout things out, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before hand.

Thanks in advance
    hi, Clear Water Bay is too far if you'll work in Central. with your given budget, and if you love the sun and sand, grilling and chilling with your pals on weekends, Stanley is a great bet, iso may expats here and is also in HK island as Central is, not much far a commute. Try this site...good luck, cheers!

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/en/pro...one/100066113/

Quote Originally Posted by RAINDEAR:
    hi, Clear Water Bay is too far if you'll work in Central. with your given budget, and if you love the sun and sand, grilling and chilling with your pals on weekends, Stanley is a great bet, iso may expats here and is also in HK island as Central is, not much far a commute. Try this site...good luck, cheers!

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/en/pro...one/100066113/
    I think your link just proves the point you'd need more than $50K for a 1K sq feet apartment in Stanley. Otherwise, can't disagree: it's a freaking expat enclave and paradise, with an easy commute to Central on an avg. day

South Lantau is an option too. Fast ferry to central is half an hour and the MTR to tung chung is an option, as is driving (on restricted road so no traffic to Tung Chung MTR), decent bus options. We looked at Sai Kung and decided on south lantau as more options on getting around HK and more certain and easy commute to Central for work. Also very expat with cafes and pilates and decent supermarkets etc etc. have a look at the mui wo to tai o families facebook group for a feel of whats on offer in south lantau.

This house is in a village which is probably 50% expats and near the beach, wetlands and hiking trails, it's also not the cheapest house you could rent for south lantau. Mui Wo also would have good options. https://homesolutions.hk/property/ha...house-rooftop/

This one is more than the budget but the garden looks good. I haven't really looked so I'm sure if you were interested the agents could give you cheaper options with good gardens etc https://homesolutions.hk/property/ha...age-house-57k/

Last edited by Kiz; 20-01-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: house with garden added
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    (1) The Belcher's at HKU...(2) The Merton at Kennedy Town.(3) Park Towers at Tin Hau
    I wouldn't characterize either of those as a nice quiet dog-friendly place for a young family to raise a small child. (1) and (3) you rent from individual owners, most of the appts I and my acquaintances saw there where poorly maintained, border line slams; (2) is super small. I'd say there is nothing even close to the budget and requirements north of the mountains on the Island