Like Tree29Likes

Flying my pet with me to Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Please don't give out the impression it's easy as it isn't and don't forget all countries have different rules and regulations along with the airlines. For example a dog coming from the UK doesn't need a microchip but from France it does.
    Also it is not as simple as picking up your dog from AFCD. You need the AWB and go to the correct cargo terminal (there are 3 main ones).
    Do your research and don't take heed to advice from a blogger in the US. Goto official government sites for the up to date information.
    A far more useful site then the one above is pettravel.com You can search country regulations and airlines. Remember all airlines have their own policy on how they transport pets. For example UA won't take crates over PP90 size or accept any snubs. AA will not accept pets between US and HK. BA for several weeks this year had an embargo on all dogs but accepted cats.
    Things are changing all the time so please research official sites and not ones where someone did it a few years ago.

jgl and huja like this.

The only way to import pet in HK is as manifest cargo. If you want to have a layover you need to observe the rules of the country the layover is in as well and import your dog in HK as a cargo following the rules of your layover country (i.e. you would have to stay there for at least 180 days and it should not be rabies category 3 country). There is plenty of documentation you need to do so be sure to make it right otherwise your pooch will be quarantined in HK. I suggest to email Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department in HK they will give you detailed guidance regarding your individual case. More expensive option is to use pet relocation services.

Actually you can avoid manifest cargo but only by private jet and by pre-arrangements with AFCD. However most private jets need to rdfuel as they have limited range so you need to be careful which country you refuel in.
    Not really an option for 99.9% of people...

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega
    Actually you can avoid manifest cargo but only by private jet and by pre-arrangements with AFCD. However most private jets need to rdfuel as they have limited range so you need to be careful which country you refuel in.
    Not really an option for 99.9% of people...
    I think most private jets now can make it in one shot from Alaska if that helps, i suspect the cost of a private jet from the states to HK will be on the non affordable side of things for most people however./

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I think most private jets now can make it in one shot from Alaska if that helps, i suspect the cost of a private jet from the states to HK will be on the non affordable side of things for most people however./
    Yep although you will be surprised how many do each year. I know it's around $40k US for one way to Manila!! Some willing to pay that as no other way to get a snub noise pretty there from HK

I wouldn't put a dog in a Hong Kong 1BR... heck, I would really need to like my partner to share such a small space.

I think you are underestimating what an 18K place looks like. Also, 40 minutes commute in Hong Kong?

Where are you coming from for this to be acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    I wouldn't put a dog in a Hong Kong 1BR... heck, I would really need to like my partner to share such a small space.

I think you are underestimating what an 18K place looks like. Also, 40 minutes commute in Hong Kong?

Where are you coming from for this to be acceptable?
    Well OP said it was a small dog, so it's certainly OK. I sure hope those large huskies or other large dogs are not cramped into a tiny apt.

The only time I post on here is when people have issues with moving pets and lots of people weigh in with, umhum, answers.

Contact the lovely people at quarantine, not being sarcastic, they are really lovely, actually probably the nicest people in HK and I dare anyone to say different.

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quar..._ipab_idc.html

If your pup needs quarantine then they will arrange it for you, no drama, meet you at the airport/train/border/etc.

If your dog flies cargo then the crate will have to be of a certain size, they have to be able to stand up, sit/lie down and turn round in it.

Think about how uncomfortable you are in a seat on a long flight, always shifting position to get comfy.

It's the same for them. If the animal is under the seat then they're squashed in a tiny little carry case, they can't do any of the above. If they they need a poo/wee then how do you deal with it? How do you feed them or give them water?

In cargo, in a carry case, you can put a blanket and a lining of absorbent material and any accidents are dealt with on arrival before you get your animal back, they are given space to chill a little bit and use the toilet before the next part of the journey, and by law in cargo they HAVE to have access to food and water.

Personally I don't give a flying fisting Garfunkel if some twatster decides to complain about noise from kids, beasts or snoring husbands, but you may.

Think about the comfort of the animal, and may I say, over twenty odd years of expattery I've met literally dozens of people who've just dumped their animals when they've had to move, even when the process has been really simple, so good on you for bringing your dog with you.

Hope you'll be happy in HK. You picked a hell of a time to move there!

Update.
    Singapore Airlines not accepting AVI (live animals)
    Cathay today with immediate effect not transporting AVI to London till March 28. Current bookings will not be accepted.
    KLM and Air France have cancelled multiple flights during the month of March.
    Air Canada now only flying from Vancouver to HKG
    Malaysia now not accepting AVI from Hong Kong.
    Lufthansa is predicted to follow shortly with an AVI ban.
    Will update when more news available

Last edited by Trance Omega; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.
    MABinPengChau and z754103 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3