Like Tree75Likes

Considering moving back to the uk, should we?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I was in the same situation last year and I relocated back to UK with 2 young kids. I did a quick pro/cons below. Obviously we all enjoy the lifestyle that money can provide but with young family, for me it became a lower priority. The way I see it, if I don't like UK then I can always move back to HK but given the current situation, I would much rather be here in UK.

+lower humidity, I dont know how I survived hk humidity and air pollution
    +education is better, oldest daughter is definitely happier plus local schools are free
    +finally able to buy a house with garden
    +I live in a commuter town, the air quality is so cleaner and different
    +pleasure owning a car and exploring places with my kids

-higher taxes but there are ways around it eg self employed contractor, pension tax relief
    -slower pace compared to uk and things here are so laid back
    -I forgot I hate dark UK winter and of course the rain, it is bad this year
    -no helper and child care can be expensive if they are young
    -8million unemployed, claiming benefits
    -increasing racism due to virus

andytse and slowbiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbiker:
    AndyTse,
    We seems to share some common background....I'm in construction,,,,worked in HK & UK.(left UK around 1992) ,,,,,,,,grew up in UK, south London.....with University days in London.......
    My take is that UK should be better for family life in the long term........especially for children whom are not well connected with locals...........schools are generally better, but varies greatly from rich areas to less well off regions.
    Work/jobs in UK for construction is quite different to HK, and you'll probably not like that.
    I'm writing this....because, I'm moving back to UK in March.....spurred by the virus in CHina.
    My list of up-sides are better salary for non-professional workers, better or cheaper housing (as long as its not in London, or expensive ares), alot better schools and universities (for my child), and generally the people are more civilize, as long as you speak like a local.....and mix with local lads, with you were a kid. Then, there shouldn't be much issues over racial discrimination.
    My list for downside are......too cold, must have a car to avoid waiting for bad public transport,and not being able to attend relatives' weddings and funerals............LOL
    Which area do u live now in the UK, I grew up and worked in Oxford. How is it work wise these days there? I mean being made redundant back in 2008 was a massive blow to me, and I would hate to have to go through that again, given the uncertainly outlook due to the Brexit deal.
    I’m sure my kids will like it, but they don’t actually mind the current HK fast pace life style. I really want them to grow up ready for the future. I always get me growing up in the slow paced UK, Oxford to be precise, made me not as competitive compared to others who grew up in the city or Hk. But maybe that’s just my thought. But if we don’t move back now, and only send to to the UK for university, will that still be a good stepping stone for their future or some secondary school in the Uk be better?

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I was in the same situation last year and I relocated back to UK with 2 young kids. I did a quick pro/cons below. Obviously we all enjoy the lifestyle that money can provide but with young family, for me it became a lower priority. The way I see it, if I don't like UK then I can always move back to HK but given the current situation, I would much rather be here in UK.

+lower humidity, I dont know how I survived hk humidity and air pollution
    +education is better, oldest daughter is definitely happier plus local schools are free
    +finally able to buy a house with garden
    +I live in a commuter town, the air quality is so cleaner and different
    +pleasure owning a car and exploring places with my kids

-higher taxes but there are ways around it eg self employed contractor, pension tax relief
    -slower pace compared to uk and things here are so laid back
    -I forgot I hate dark UK winter and of course the rain, it is bad this year
    -no helper and child care can be expensive if they are young
    -8million unemployed, claiming benefits
    -increasing racism due to virus
    Very nice to see 2 with similar background to my current situation. I actually live in Sai Kung, and own 2 cars, so it’s not that much different to UK as we too commute everywhere by car. Back in the Uk, I owned 4 cars at one point.... strange I know, but it just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbiker:
    AndyTse,
    We seems to share some common background....I'm in construction,,,,worked in HK & UK.(left UK around 1992) ,,,,,,,,grew up in UK, south London.....with University days in London.......
    My take is that UK should be better for family life in the long term........especially for children whom are not well connected with locals...........schools are generally better, but varies greatly from rich areas to less well off regions.
    Work/jobs in UK for construction is quite different to HK, and you'll probably not like that.
    I'm writing this....because, I'm moving back to UK in March.....spurred by the virus in CHina.
    My list of up-sides are better salary for non-professional workers, better or cheaper housing (as long as its not in London, or expensive ares), alot better schools and universities (for my child), and generally the people are more civilize, as long as you speak like a local.....and mix with local lads, with you were a kid. Then, there shouldn't be much issues over racial discrimination.
    My list for downside are......too cold, must have a car to avoid waiting for bad public transport,and not being able to attend relatives' weddings and funerals............LOL
    Another thing about work, what do u do there in the Uk? Although I graduated in the Uk and worked there for 8 years climbing up to a project manager for a sub-contractor, my latest work experience is 10 years of the HK system, I’m afraid the cowboyish method of HK may not fit in back in the Uk, what do u think? Obviously HK is based mostly on BS. I’m a clerk of works now, and from reviewing total jobs website, I did a comparison and even before uk tax, my current HK salary is higher. How much do u know about the clerk of works positive back in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by andytse:
    My kids in HK are in a band one local government school, both primary and secondary. If going back to the Uk, I would also be looking at normal government schools. What type of school did u use to teach back in the UK? What do u think of the system between HK and UK?
    i taught in a local (government) secondary school in Milton Keynes before coming to HK nearly 3 years ago. Mine was a good, middle class school with a fairly mixed ethnic background school. Whilst it was classed as a good school in the UK I just got fed up as a teacher with the lack of real interest in education from a large proportion of students. Kids there were a bit lazy, turned off education, rude to teachers if they didn’t like what you were asking them to do. There was a great expectation for the teacher to make lessons fun/exciting/interesting (no bad thing!) but not for students to work hard and be respectful. Parents often back up students rather than teachers too when there are issues.

In comparison I found HK students respectful, hard working, never question why they are being asked to do a particular piece of work or study,

I teach In an international DSS school here in HK. Probably 90% Chinese speaking local kids but taught in English, so not your typical private international school.

I can’t really compare HK local schools with UK ones as I haven’t taught in one. From what I hear though, the UK curriculum and methods of teaching/learning are more interactive, individual, practical and encourage inquisitiveness,exploration and are broad.

I think the ethos of the UK education and curriculum is great but I struggle with the attitude and behaviour of the parents and kids. There is a wide variety in the quality of schools but generally if you want to get into a good one you need to live near it, which generally means more expensive housing.

Original Post Deleted
    Not the point! And private school kids/parents can have other attitude problems.

And actually, A DSS school in HK and a middle class comp in Milton Keynes are similar in lots of ways other than student attitude, Many (most ) other aspects the Milton Keynes school wins hands down.
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 27-02-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andytse:
    My kids in HK are in a band one local government school, both primary and secondary. If going back to the Uk, I would also be looking at normal government schools. What type of school did u use to teach back in the UK? What do u think of the system between HK and UK?
    By the way, just interested in understanding the local school system....what does a ‘band 1’ school mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    By the way, just interested in understanding the local school system....what does a ‘band 1’ school mean?
    Uh, regardless of local/international, aren't you a teacher?
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Uh, regardless of local/international, aren't you a teacher?
    Yes, but?

Now that the Coronavirus is set to go global, then maybe UK will be in the throes of it by the Summer.
    This will definitely have a knock-on impact to jobs in many sectors, including construction.
    Personally I wouldn't be moving now that the virus is spreading around the world. Although Carrie & co havent been setting the world alight with their management skills, their on the job learning may yet keep this thing in check here.

andytse likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast