Like Tree75Likes

Considering moving back to the uk, should we?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Shit, I lived in Jericho, a few houses off Walton Street for a while and visited that that take away more than a few times! Early 1980s. Any chance of a retrospective discount
    Haha... changed hands and moved to open a new take away in Abingdon in 1992. But ah yes Jericho... used to bike around there when I was young.
    East_coast and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    As an oriental who has lived in North America and the UK, and a load of other places, I really don't give a toss if this term is used. The worst thing I can say about it is that it's slightly quaint (took some courses at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London, and thought the name was amusing.)
    Name:  B9MQQQfIgAEHAzd.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  111.1 KB

Economics at SOAS looks interesting....

"We place great emphasis on introducing our students to the history of economics as a discipline and, importantly, to some of the alternative, 'heterodox' approaches to economic analysis, including Marxist, feminist, Keynesian, and Schumpeterian perspectives"

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    A teacher who has been here for years, asking a parent, about how how banding works is just... words just fail me.

I think you are confused. I wasn’t talking about ‘banding’ I think there may be some cultural/terminology differences going on here.

But I’m fine with you being out, you weren’t asked in the first place.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    I think you are confused. I wasn’t talking about ‘banding’ I think there may be some cultural/terminology differences going on here.

But I’m fine with you being out, you weren’t asked in the first place.
    Just gonna leave this here:

By the way, just interested in understanding the local school system....what does a ‘band 1’ school mean?
    imparanoic and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva C
    Now that the Coronavirus is set to go global, then maybe UK will be in the throes of it by the Summer.
    This will definitely have a knock-on impact to jobs in many sectors, including construction.
    Personally I wouldn't be moving now that the virus is spreading around the world. Although Carrie & co havent been setting the world alight with their management skills, their on the job learning may yet keep this thing in check here.
    Good point about the virus issue. Europe seems to be getting affected like crazy lately, and I see from BBC news that not many European countries are yet taking much precautions for it. Overseas Chinese are also getting abuse because of the virus... maybe not a good time this year to move.

By the way, just interested in understanding the local school system....what does a ‘band 1’ school mean?
    I actually leave all the girl’s school matters to my wife because she is a full time housewife and knows chinese/Cantonese, whereas I don’t.
    But from the 10 years I’ve been here, this is what I know... Local schools has a banding from 1 to 3, 1 being the best at Academic grades from their students, if your child studies in a band 3 Primary school, even with the best of grades, they will have very little chance being offered into a band 1 secondary school. Getting into university after secondary school, band 1 students get in easier even with moderate grades when compared to band 3 students. Basically the banding is very important even at kindergarten, because some are linked to primary schools, therefore if u want your kids to get into a high banding secondary school, you need to plan their kindergarten carefully.
    I remember when my elder daughter was choosing her primary school and the day when offered into a band 1 school, my work colleague who lived nearby was very envious of me because his daughter only got into a band 3 primary school. He is local and is the one who explained the banding to me.
    Therefore currently, both my daughters being in band 1 primary and secondary school, gives them a good stepping stone for their future.
    Pauljoecoe, hongkong7 and shri like this.

Yes, and thanks to the OP for answering my questions so clearly. So much better than getting into arguments and insults.

We have banding in some schools in the UK. In that context it is banding students according to ability within the school and maybe only for certain subjects. This will vary from school to school even within schools of the same type.

This is different from the banding that the OP mentioned and subsequently explained.

andytse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Name:  B9MQQQfIgAEHAzd.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  111.1 KB

Economics at SOAS looks interesting....

"We place great emphasis on introducing our students to the history of economics as a discipline and, importantly, to some of the alternative, 'heterodox' approaches to economic analysis, including Marxist, feminist, Keynesian, and Schumpeterian perspectives"
    I wouldn't be making a bee-line to London for that soup.

Anyway here is a link to a 2009 study about racism against Chinese people.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...R1uJIqjx6jEzPH
    The interview excerpts are pretty much in line with what I saw and experienced

Quote Originally Posted by andytse
    Haha... changed hands and moved to open a new take away in Abingdon in 1992. But ah yes Jericho... used to bike around there when I was young.
    home town of radiohead, they all went to abingdon school as well

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9