Like Tree29Likes

What kind of jobs can I apply for?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker:
    What about side job communicating with English with people who want to learn the language?
    There will be plenty of competition for that.

Beside the economy being so bad, assume it will recover somewhat, what type of job is available in HK in the past that might suit me?
    there are quite a few bbcs in hk, nearly all can't write or read chinese (a very small number can read, like in uk), check out what type of jobs they do on the bbc in hk and friends of bbc facebook group they do, there are a lot who are in education therefore doing an online tefl course in uk (significantly cheaper to do as well, only a few hundred quid, in hk, equivalent around HK$30-40k) is good way or at least a back up plan.

that might work for me as temporary measures. I have other incomes during this initial period.
    in 6 months or 9 months time, when the worst of UK outbreak has passed, consider coming over to here, in UK, if you have nothing to lose in terms of jobwise, why not, come over here for min 6 months, or even a year, if you find an ok job , you could be here in the long, i left uk during dec 2006 after 29 years, i have still here in HK, after all, after a year it don't work out, you can also go back to uk and take it as an extended holiday, but if it does work out and you like it here, you can be here for many years to come.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    in 6 months or 9 months time, when the worst of UK outbreak has passed, consider coming over to here, in UK, if you have nothing to lose in terms of jobwise, why not, come over here for min 6 months, or even a year, if you find an ok job , you could be here in the long, i left uk during dec 2006 after 29 years, i have still here in HK, after all, after a year it don't work out, you can also go back to uk and take it as an extended holiday, but if it does work out and you like it here, you can be here for many years to come.
    that is sort of my plan.

i will take a leave of absent in my current job, try out HK for a few months and see how far I can go with it!

but job and rent is scaring me...

that is sort of my plan.

i will take a leave of absent in my current job, try out HK for a few months and see how far I can go with it!

but job and rent is scaring me...
    if you don't mind living in kam sheung rd, only 12 mins to TST on MTR, village house, rent around 8k for 700 sq ft (could be as low at HK$5k after the economic slump here) , by your user name, you can own and ride motorbikes as well or riding bicycles here, but virtually all westerners don't like it, too local, limited transport after the train finishes, the best aspect living here is that you have low direct taxation, if you list your parents as dependants assuming they have hk address and hkid card, next to nil tax.

also note hk is about compromise, live next to action of hk island, then you will live in a shoebox with probably no direct sunlight and the next apartment so close than if they cook and wind blows you will get their cooking fumes, but it's close to the action and you can party often

live in NT, it's significantly more affordable, you will get nice sunset and distant hills via your window, expect to commute an hour on train or bus, but you can also drive as well, also mosquitos if it's in the villages.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you don't mind living in kam sheung rd, only 12 mins to TST on MTR, village house, rent around 8k for 700 sq ft (could be as low at HK$5k after the economic slump here) , by your user name, you can own and ride motorbikes as well or riding bicycles here, but virtually all westerners don't like it, too local, limited transport after the train finishes, the best aspect living here is that you have low direct taxation, if you list your parents as dependants assuming they have hk address and hkid card, next to nil tax.

also note hk is about compromise, live next to action of hk island, then you will live in a shoebox with probably no direct sunlight and the next apartment so close than if they cook and wind blows you will get their cooking fumes, but it's close to the action and you can party often

live in NT, it's significantly more affordable, you will get nice sunset and distant hills via your window, expect to commute an hour on train or bus, but you can also drive as well, also mosquitos if it's in the villages.
    this is a good comment. Appreciate it.

My username, don’t confuse that with motorcycle... I ride my road bike a lot in Canada but I have no plans to do this in HK, maybe online ride but I can’t see that happening with such small space...

Which area is kam sheung rd?

Kam Tin, NT.
    imparanoic likes this.

do you have a desire no matter what to live close to repulse bay, even in a no window 120sq ft box?

are you serious? How much do cashier makes on average per month?
    Yes come to HK to work at McD and squat there too. Land of dreams. You do get free room and board, and even a toilet where you can wipe yourself down with a towel.