Like Tree10Likes

What kind of jobs can I apply for?

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    48

    What kind of jobs can I apply for?

    Hello All,

    I am hoping to make my move to HK once the COVID-19 situation dies down a bit.

    I am trying to think the type of jobs I can get in HK... to start, I am fluent in both English and Cantonese (speaking/listening only, can't read or write Chinese). Are there casual jobs which require communication in English? If I can get a few thousands HKD per month, i can survive...

    Thanks


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker
    Hello All,

    I am hoping to make my move to HK once the COVID-19 situation dies down a bit.

    I am trying to think the type of jobs I can get in HK... to start, I am fluent in both English and Cantonese (speaking/listening only, can't read or write Chinese). Are there casual jobs which require communication in English? If I can get a few thousands HKD per month, i can survive...

    Thanks
    Apart from being able to speak do you have any other qualifications or experience?

    Will you need a visa to work in Hong Kong?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Apart from being able to speak do you have any other qualifications or experience?
    I am a business owner. I can do sales. I do a lot of communicating in my day to day job. I am also a Engineer but not looking for a full time Engineering position in HK.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker
    I am a business owner. I can do sales. I do a lot of communicating in my day to day job. I am also a Engineer but not looking for a full time Engineering position in HK.
    Assuming you need a visa then your employer would need to show that a local could not do the job you are being employed to do.
    Last edited by shri; 27-03-2020 at 06:42 AM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Assuming you need a visa then your employer would need to show that a local could not do the job you are being employed to do.
    I can work freely in HK.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker
    I can work freely in HK.
    That is critical information and you should always lead with that.

    As to work, it depends on what is left of the Hong Kong economy after covid19. I would spend the time now learning to read and write Chinese.
    shri, rkenia852 and chingleutsch like this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,077

    I would wait to see how the economy is, right now it looks like it will take a while to recover.


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    48

    Beside the economy being so bad, assume it will recover somewhat, what type of job is available in HK in the past that might suit me?


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    30,576

    Right now while it may seem risky, given your user name, deliveroo and food panda seem to be good places to earn some cash.

    (assuming you own or have access to a motorbike of some sort)


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Right now while it may seem risky, given your user name, deliveroo and food panda seem to be good places to earn some cash.

    (assuming you own or have access to a motorbike of some sort)
    Thats not exactly what I have mind. Although I don’t mind doing a clerk job such as store cashier to get by initially.

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast