Like Tree25Likes

Education in HongKong: University Life

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    for this coming academic year, students from Mainland will be minimal, especially for PolyU.

Hopefully that remains the case permanently.

Is there such thing as fraternities and sororoties in HK university social life?

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Is there such thing as fraternities and sororoties in HK university social life?
    There are lots of student societies based on interests. If you are living in halls, there are some which have very serious "hall culture" and traditions for example their chants, songs, events etc. When I was studying at HKU, there was a very strong sense of peer pressure to join in and support the halls.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    There are lots of student societies based on interests. If you are living in halls, there are some which have very serious "hall culture" and traditions for example their chants, songs, events etc. When I was studying at HKU, there was a very strong sense of peer pressure to join in and support the halls.
    Partying and sex is the main interest of US frats and sororities. IMO HK society seems too prude to have such social organizations but was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Partying and sex is the main interest of US frats and sororities. IMO HK society seems too prude to have such social organizations but was wondering.
    Yep... totally different to US colleges and even UK university halls. Don't expect to find too many students up for partying and drinking (except some international school students or exchange students).

Also don't expect to have wild parties and bring girls or guys back to your rooms. They usually have rules banning guests after a certain time (my halls banned the opposite sex from your floor at night even if from the same halls), and many still have shared rooms etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeL:
    Hello everybody, I’m a non Jupas here and am looking for advice in studying experience.

I’m applying for Lingnan University this academic year. I have passed the 1st round: screening application. Moving to the interview, I would need some real experience from you guys and I seek for full-ride to study there. I need advice to get myself ready to it.
    Depending on what program you're entering non-JUPAS usually must satisfy some other entrance requirements, this usually happens after the interviews. Does Lingnan offer full scholarships for foreign students? I know UNIS offer them for PhDs, either way they're extremely competitive.

In addition, I’m looking for alumni from Lingnan as well. This is a liberal arts education and has been ranked unremarkable in record. That’s given me a concern about education quality and international environment in there. If I cannot get full ride, how much is good should I prepare to survive in HongKong?
    As others have pointed out HK is not very international, if you want an INTL learning environment study in CAN/US/UK etc. but right now nothing is certain with 'going abroad'. Where are you coming from?

Also you can get a quality education from lesser/un-ranked schools (those rankings aren't all they're cracked up to be), it really depends what you'll be doing after you get a BA?

HK is damned expensive, if you don't get a spot in the subsidized dormitory you'll need a min $5000/m for a tiny little place in an old building. As an undergrad I'm sure you could eat cheaply (not well), tuition is not cheap either and varies from school to school. Look here for an idea of rent prices:

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent/district-g48

While I am from a Chinese family so I can speak Cantonese. Shall I show it off to the admission board on interview day? What should I notice to make it smoothly.
    The medium of instruction is English, so no, unless you're applying for a linguistics program. Keep in mind you may have a mix of interviewers, 1 local /1 foreign, so you don't want to alienate one of them. Study the materials they give you just prior to the interview (usually a set of questions). Prepare numerous possible questions related to your potential major and answers to them. You do this by researching the program (read EVERYTHING on their website), look up the people in the dept and see what they teach/do (academic staff should have published papers you can at least read an abstract of).

Try not to be too scripted if you're interviewed by a foreign professor (honestly not sure of local ones prefer this), listen carefully and address the questions put to you, don't just read an answer you prepared that sort of covers it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Terreneuve; 11-05-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Funny, I always wonder whether that is politically correct. HK belongs to the great motherland. Is it really wise to label mainland students as "international"? Would that imply HK is not part of the motherland? Why isn't Beijing and its pro-establishment lackeys raising hell over this? How dare local universities label mainland students as international? Of course, the dripping sarcasm in my post would be missed by all the wumaos reading this.
    It is fiscally correct, intl tuition rates apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Terreneuve:
    It is fiscally correct, intl tuition rates apply.
    Technically, non-local fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Hopefully that remains the case permanently.
    Well, graduate schools funding are highly dependent on Mainland students.

If they don't come indefinitely, tuition fees for grad schools will go up
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Back on topic please...