Like Tree25Likes

Education in HongKong: University Life

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    Well, graduate schools funding are highly dependent on Mainland students.

If they don't come indefinitely, tuition fees for grad schools will go up
    Grad school is by nature more international (more "real" international students), although in that event its better to just measure post-graduate student population level of "international-ness".

That also pertains to university life, since the OP is interested to know more about this. There is clear difference between under and post-graduate university life. Undergraduate life can be very clubby or cliquey, and as others said, lots of peer pressure to force you to conform to their culture. This can be problematic if you don't buy into their culture or find aspects of it offensive. This is especially so in the residence halls. Nor does it foster independent or critical thinking. You are not yourself, you are simply part of a group.

Post-graduate life on the other hand, you have more freedom to do things you want. Maybe it comes with maturity, I don't know...or the realization that the larger contingent of international students don't really buy the local undergraduate culture.

Dear Shri,

Thank you for replying.
    I'm applying for Edu Hong Kong and some universities in Taiwan as well.
    I want to become a life coach in the future, especially in global affairs and education.

Lingnan is well-known for its Liberal Arts Education, amirite? Which is the course I am applying for.
    But do you know the reason why Lingnan is not a target for recruiter? As I saw on the report about students out-comes are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    None of the universities in Hong Kong are very 'international' - HKU is the most international and it is where you hear the most English being spoken. In the other universities you have the majority of students speaking Cantonese (one clique), a sizable minority speaking Mandarin (second clique), and the small number of international students using English (third clique). There is not much mixing outside classes between the three. In the coming year expect the number of non-local students (those from mainland China and overseas) to be greatly reduced.
    Hi Drumbrake,

The reason for reducing come from the virus pandemic and political unstable state, right? I am also curious about the safety for international students in Hong Kong at the present.

Original Post Deleted
    I come from Vietnam. I'm applying for Global Liberal Arts programme at Lingnan. I would appreciate your inputs regarding to facilities, teaching quality, social activities, etc anything you know from your exp. Thanks ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Do you know what is your intended subject of study? Natural sciences? Social Sciences? The arts and the humanities? Or a professional subject? Lingnan does not have medicine or law, so I guess you can rule that out, but other subjects?

Like others have said, Lingnan is not the most ideal university when it comes to being international. Its not bad in terms of academic standards, but its not the best in HK. The top three in this city are HKU, CUHK and HKUST. HKU is the oldest and most prestigious university in HK, their academic programs are comprehensive and cover both the arts and sciences, as well as businesses and engineering, but are especially strong in the professional fields of medicine and law, their actuarial science program is also very good. CUHK likewise shares the strength in professional degrees (medicine and law) but also have a good Chinese studies program. HKUST is of course strong in the sciences and engineering, but they also have a very good MBA program.

Other local universities have strengths in particular departments. Baptist U has a pretty good media studies program and has produced a fair number of famous local journalists. City U has the only vet school in the city. Poly U leans closer to the vocational fields and the Academy of Performing Arts of course has produce many local actors.

As for culture, some of it is not really ideal. HKU and CUHK are infamous for a strong hazing culture in their residence halls. HKU in particular have a very snobbish elitist culture that looks down on people. Carrie Lam was a graduate of HKU, so I don't know whether her arrogance was picked up at HKU. They aren't always very open and welcoming to outside ideas.

Thank you Coolboy for such a detailed answer. I do appreciate it.
    I'm applying for Global Liberal Arts and I like the close relationship between professor - student in small sized class. Also I do like social activities and service-learning experience at Lingnan. I just want to double check what I have read on their website with real experience.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeL:
    Hi Drumbrake,

The reason for reducing come from the virus pandemic and political unstable state, right? I am also curious about the safety for international students in Hong Kong at the present.
    Correct to both.

I don't think any international students are in danger - many would say that regarding the virus situation, HK is one of the safer places in the world. However, overseas students need to be able to get a visa to study here and then likely spend time in quarantine - this will be an issue in the coming months.

Unstable political situation - yes, but at the same time it does not really affect most people in Hong Kong (except when police decide to teargas indiscriminately). True, if the campuses close again, then learning and teaching is badly affected. I can fully understand why a student might be cautious about coming to study in Hong Kong in the coming year. If you had a choice of Hong Kong, Taipei, or Tokyo - I think HK would probably come last in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeL:
    Thank you Coolboy for such a detailed answer. I do appreciate it.
    I'm applying for Global Liberal Arts and I like the close relationship between professor - student in small sized class. Also I do like social activities and service-learning experience at Lingnan. I just want to double check what I have read on their website with real experience.

If you want your resume to look "good" you can also try applying to HKU and CUHK, they also have good liberal arts programs. As for the details, you will need to look up their websites. Just watch out for the hazing stuff I mentioned earlier.

Lingnan is located in Tuen Mun, a new town in the northwest of Hong Kong. Getting from there to the city centre of HK Island may take a while, so that is also an issue to consider.

Open question to the board: what does 'liberal arts' mean? I hear lots of Americans saying it so it must be an established concept in the american-speaking world, but I have no idea of what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Is there such thing as fraternities and sororoties in HK university social life?
    There are lots of societies based on the individual dorms which can present as a bit desperate and attention seeking. They do however organise events specific to their dorms such as balls (to sweet talk the lecturers and get higher grades) and in dorm events. The students at LU. where I was on exchange 12 years ago were required to attend these events because they were required to participate in extra-curricular activities otherwise they risked not graduating even if they achieved high grades academically. These compulsory activities included voluntary work, sports, dorm activities etc.

It was a bit like what I assumed boarding school would be like, lots of mandatory participation in collegiate events and having to pretend you give a fuck. Luckily I was only on exchange. Some of the activities were extortionately expensive and quite pointless such as wine tasting. Others were delightful, such as free make up classes. There are lots of events that you are required to attend such as university wide presentations, having to attend seminars etc.
    It's a strange, stark contrast to the UK. where no one really gives a fuck and you're only required to pass your degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Terreneuve:
    Depending on what program you're entering non-JUPAS usually must satisfy some other entrance requirements, this usually happens after the interviews. Does Lingnan offer full scholarships for foreign students? I know UNIS offer them for PhDs, either way they're extremely competitive.

As others have pointed out HK is not very international, if you want an INTL learning environment study in CAN/US/UK etc. but right now nothing is certain with 'going abroad'. Where are you coming from?

Also you can get a quality education from lesser/un-ranked schools (those rankings aren't all they're cracked up to be), it really depends what you'll be doing after you get a BA?

HK is damned expensive, if you don't get a spot in the subsidized dormitory you'll need a min $5000/m for a tiny little place in an old building. As an undergrad I'm sure you could eat cheaply (not well), tuition is not cheap either and varies from school to school. Look here for an idea of rent prices:

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent/district-g48

The medium of instruction is English, so no, unless you're applying for a linguistics program. Keep in mind you may have a mix of interviewers, 1 local /1 foreign, so you don't want to alienate one of them. Study the materials they give you just prior to the interview (usually a set of questions). Prepare numerous possible questions related to your potential major and answers to them. You do this by researching the program (read EVERYTHING on their website), look up the people in the dept and see what they teach/do (academic staff should have published papers you can at least read an abstract of).

Try not to be too scripted if you're interviewed by a foreign professor (honestly not sure of local ones prefer this), listen carefully and address the questions put to you, don't just read an answer you prepared that sort of covers it.

Good luck!
    Lectures and seminars in LU. are divided into Chinese and English. There's no linguistic monopoly.