Like Tree17Likes

Education in HongKong: University Life

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question Education in HongKong: University Life

Hello everybody, I’m a non Jupas here and am looking for advice in studying experience.

I’m applying for Lingnan University this academic year. I have passed the 1st round: screening application. Moving to the interview, I would need some real experience from you guys and I seek for full-ride to study there. I need advice to get myself ready to it.

In addition, I’m looking for alumni from Lingnan as well. This is a liberal arts education and has been ranked unremarkable in record. That’s given me a concern about education quality and international environment in there. If I cannot get full ride, how much is good should I prepare to survive in HongKong?

While I am from a Chinese family so I can speak Cantonese. Shall I show it off to the admission board on interview day? What should I notice to make it smoothly.

Thank you for all ahead advice. Love you all and stay safe guys.

What are your other options for university and what do you see as your ideal career path?

Lingnan for one thing, is not really a target university for employers to recruit from.

TeeL likes this.

None of the universities in Hong Kong are very 'international' - HKU is the most international and it is where you hear the most English being spoken. In the other universities you have the majority of students speaking Cantonese (one clique), a sizable minority speaking Mandarin (second clique), and the small number of international students using English (third clique). There is not much mixing outside classes between the three. In the coming year expect the number of non-local students (those from mainland China and overseas) to be greatly reduced.

Coolboy and TeeL like this.

Where are you from and why are you applying to Lingnan (just that one?). My girlfriend did her Bachelor's at Lingnan and I've been on the campus quite often while she still studied there, probably could give you some input if you have some questions...

TeeL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeL:
    Hello everybody, I’m a non Jupas here and am looking for advice in studying experience.

I’m applying for Lingnan University this academic year. I have passed the 1st round: screening application. Moving to the interview, I would need some real experience from you guys and I seek for full-ride to study there. I need advice to get myself ready to it.

In addition, I’m looking for alumni from Lingnan as well. This is a liberal arts education and has been ranked unremarkable in record. That’s given me a concern about education quality and international environment in there. If I cannot get full ride, how much is good should I prepare to survive in HongKong?

While I am from a Chinese family so I can speak Cantonese. Shall I show it off to the admission board on interview day? What should I notice to make it smoothly.

Thank you for all ahead advice. Love you all and stay safe guys.
    Do you know what is your intended subject of study? Natural sciences? Social Sciences? The arts and the humanities? Or a professional subject? Lingnan does not have medicine or law, so I guess you can rule that out, but other subjects?

Like others have said, Lingnan is not the most ideal university when it comes to being international. Its not bad in terms of academic standards, but its not the best in HK. The top three in this city are HKU, CUHK and HKUST. HKU is the oldest and most prestigious university in HK, their academic programs are comprehensive and cover both the arts and sciences, as well as businesses and engineering, but are especially strong in the professional fields of medicine and law, their actuarial science program is also very good. CUHK likewise shares the strength in professional degrees (medicine and law) but also have a good Chinese studies program. HKUST is of course strong in the sciences and engineering, but they also have a very good MBA program.

Other local universities have strengths in particular departments. Baptist U has a pretty good media studies program and has produced a fair number of famous local journalists. City U has the only vet school in the city. Poly U leans closer to the vocational fields and the Academy of Performing Arts of course has produce many local actors.

As for culture, some of it is not really ideal. HKU and CUHK are infamous for a strong hazing culture in their residence halls. HKU in particular have a very snobbish elitist culture that looks down on people. Carrie Lam was a graduate of HKU, so I don't know whether her arrogance was picked up at HKU. They aren't always very open and welcoming to outside ideas.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 11-05-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    TeeL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Like others have said, Lingnan is not the most ideal university when it comes to being international. Its not bad in terms of academic standards, but its not the best in HK. The top three in this city are HKU, CUHK and HKUST. HKU is the oldest and most prestigious university in HK, their academic programs are comprehensive and cover both the arts and sciences, as well as businesses and engineering, but are especially strong in the professional fields of medicine and law, their actuarial science program is also very good. CUHK likewise shares the strength in professional degrees (medicine and law) but also have a good Chinese studies program. HKUST is of course strong in the sciences and engineering, but they also have a very good MBA program.

Other local universities have strengths in particular departments. Baptist U has a pretty good media studies program and has produced a fair number of famous local journalists. City U has the only vet school in the city. Poly U leans closer to the vocational fields and the Academy of Performing Arts of course has produce many local actors.
    Actually CUHK does a lot of natural science research going on. I'd say CUHK and HKUST are the top in HK in terms of science. CityU's vet school has been a source of quite some debate and criticism, as it was somehow funded outside of the regular streams and at the expense of other departments at the same school.

I'd say that the quality of teaching at Lingnan might be better than in other unis as there are very small classes. They also do have some international scholars, but I'm unsure about the ratio.
    Coolboy and TeeL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Actually CUHK does a lot of natural science research going on. I'd say CUHK and HKUST are the top in HK in terms of science. CityU's vet school has been a source of quite some debate and criticism, as it was somehow funded outside of the regular streams and at the expense of other departments at the same school.

I'd say that the quality of teaching at Lingnan might be better than in other unis as there are very small classes. They also do have some international scholars, but I'm unsure about the ratio.
    Yes, I didn't say they did not have good natural sciences. I was just highlighting some of the notable programs of each univeristy. As for the vet school, there are some issues with source of funding, but in terms of actual quality and teaching, I don't think its so bad. For an undergraduate where teaching matters the most, yes, you can say Lingnan is ok. But if the OP wants to do post-graduate studies for a master or PhD, then HKU, CUHK and HKUST is still the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Yes, I didn't say they did not have good natural sciences. I was just highlighting some of the notable programs of each univeristy. As for the vet school, there are some issues with source of funding, but in terms of actual quality and teaching, I don't think its so bad. For an undergraduate where teaching matters the most, yes, you can say Lingnan is ok. But if the OP wants to do post-graduate studies for a master or PhD, then HKU, CUHK and HKUST is still the best.
    He/She mentioned to apply as a non-JUPAS applicant, so I assumed it would be for Bachelor's. If I had a choice, I would not go to Lingnan for Bachelor's, probably CUHK or HKUST would be my top choice in Hong Kong to be honest. As you said, they are among the best in HK, but both have a spacious, beautifully located campus, so as a student you'd probably get more of a student-lifestyle.

HKU and PolyU (and CityU to some extend) for example are located in the middle of the city basically, I'm not sure if that might be a distraction.

Lingnan is just very small, while the teaching might be good it will expose you to less (potentially interesting) people and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    He/She mentioned to apply as a non-JUPAS applicant, so I assumed it would be for Bachelor's. If I had a choice, I would not go to Lingnan for Bachelor's, probably CUHK or HKUST would be my top choice in Hong Kong to be honest. As you said, they are among the best in HK, but both have a spacious, beautifully located campus, so as a student you'd probably get more of a student-lifestyle.

HKU and PolyU (and CityU to some extend) for example are located in the middle of the city basically, I'm not sure if that might be a distraction.
    Yeah more likely a bachelor's, but non-Jupas do have different possibilities, so I can't rule them out. Campus-wise yes, CUHK and HKUST both overlook expansive and beautiful surroundings. Although one thing that local universities do lack in general are the expansive open green lawns so typical of Western univerisites. Those lawns really add to the feel of a campus and the lack of it in HK does impact the experience I suppose. But given the real estate demand in the city, I suppose its not realistic to have such large green areas in this city for universities. Also, the old buildings and gothic architecture of many Western universities are also missing since most local universities are relatively recent. HKU does have some older buildings, like Loke Yew Hall and a few others, but the rest of the buildings there are pretty ugly I am afraid (KK Leung, Knowles Building, ugh, ugly).

As for being in the middle of the city being a distraction, I don't think its a big factor, its the reality of the built-up environment of this city. Columbia and NYU are both located in the dense urban jungle of New York yet they are still highly ranked univerisities.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    None of the universities in Hong Kong are very 'international' - HKU is the most international and it is where you hear the most English being spoken. In the other universities you have the majority of students speaking Cantonese (one clique), a sizable minority speaking Mandarin (second clique), and the small number of international students using English (third clique). There is not much mixing outside classes between the three. In the coming year expect the number of non-local students (those from mainland China and overseas) to be greatly reduced.
    All of the HK universities are only international on paper, because they count all non-residents as international students.
    Eg. HKU claims 42% of its students are international, but when you dig into the numbers you will find that 66% of those are from Mainland China. At PolyU, Mainland students make up 85% of all international students.
    drumbrake and Coolboy like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast