Can I enter Hong Kong with my identity card even though I left my previous job?

Can I enter Hong Kong with my identity card even though I left my previous job?

Hi there, so basically I had to leave Hong Kong in February this year after starting a job in November 2019 last year. I had to leave due to the pandemic shutting down my company, leaving me with no income. I have now been offered a new job for August start and was wondering if I would be able to enter Hong Kong with my current identity card (and passport) as it doesn't expire until November 2020? I'm asking this as I know HK has banned foreigners from entering. I will receive a new work visa prior to travelling again. Currently in the UK. Thank you!

If you got a regular work visa of 1 year or more, got your HKID while you were here, you are still a resident - just an unemployed one. You can enter and leave as much as you like, as long as you don't mind doing 2 weeks of quarantine every time you come in...

Your current visa (and ID card) remains valid until expiry but you cannot work for a new employer here. You can enter and live (and do quarantine).

What happens to my current ID card though as I have been offered a job with a new company to start from August? Can I enter HK with my current HK ID Card since it is valid until November and show my new work visa? Thanks

But I have been offered a new job with a new employer? Can I enter with my current ID card and show my new visa documents? Thanks!

yes - nothing happens to your hkid. you enter with your current hkid.

you dont even get a new visa if your expiry is quite far away from what i recall - all you get is a new letter stating that your "sponsorship" for employment has changed to new employer

HK ID card

Since when do ID cards have expiry dates? A permanent HK resident gets an ID card after seven years which does not expire.

1. the visa supported by the HKID card will expire, then likely you cant use it to enter the country anymore.. but i suspect not many people have tried to test this before (I guess if it beeps and you are trapped in the gate, you can be charged with trying to enter HK illegally i suppose?) ..

2. technically ID cards do expire... all are suppose to replace their ID card with the latest smart ID card.. no idea how long the smart ones will last ....

ID card expiry

That is not an expiry that is a replacement and is the third or fourth since I have lived here as technology advances, there is no expiry date an an ID card, perhaps he wrote it badly in that I read it as his ID card is expiring when it now appears it is his visa, different issue altogether.
    Sorry if I got it wrong.