Like Tree7Likes

Returning to HK for work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

About tutoring, if you’re just doing it on the side, you don’t need certification, but it also limits what kind of jobs you can get. You might be able to get hired at a tutoring center to do part time stuff, but it just depends how desperate they are since you don’t have credentials. A year ago I would have said it’s much harder to get a teaching job with no certification, since it has been getting more competitive. But with the virus, who knows? It’s not like there are a lot of new teachers coming in.

You could also find students yourself since your credentials matter less, although of course it depends on if your potential students care about that. I have seen people post ads here and even posters in lifts or community bulletin boards offering tutoring services. Perhaps if your rates are lower you could get a few students that way. Of course there are more headaches that way with trying to arrange schedules and chase payment and all that, but you are more free that way.

That said, do you have any experience tutoring? Certifications aren’t everything, but at least it means the person has some kind of knowledge. Would be unfortunate for the students if they were paying good money but not getting quality lessons. If you’re serious, you could take an online course or just do a lot of research online. Tons of resources on teaching skills and activity ideas.

shri likes this.

And $6,000 for rent sounds normal or even slightly low. 6-8 is fine.

I was an after school tutor when i was in high school. I just helped middle schoolers with their homework and stuff. It was a long time ago and it I only did it for a few months.. (the boss was an as-ole)

Regarding the rent, it says that it will be a shared flat so im assuming maybe its a flat with 4 rooms and we each get one room and share the bathroom. I don't mind sharing but hopefully i can see the flatmates in person first just to make sure they aren't like drug addicts or something haha

To be honest your will have a better future back home than here. Entry grads make 60k in the Bay Area where I am from and that the low end. Fresh grads here make 20k A MONTH. Also you said your major is fin tech. So are you trying to become a quant? I say get enough work experience back home and then come here as an expat.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2