Like Tree5Likes

Transfer domestic helper from abroad to Hong kong (possible?)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I moved from Singapore to HK and wanted to move my Indonesian helper with me. Believe me, if I had known how expensive or difficult it is, I would have been hesitant. Many of the maid agencies in HK warned me not to do it. However I thought it could not be that difficult. I was wrong. I hired a HK agent that was willing to do this and this was not a fly by night agent. The fee quoted was HK$15K which I agreed. The helper will need to return to Indonesia first and the paperwork done out of there. While she was in Indonesia, she had to stay at some maids' training school which was absurd because she was an experienced maid. (I had to pay a fee to get her out of the school, more on that later). Basic point, it took not less than 8 months for the paperwork to be done. The stickler was that I had to pay a lot of money after sinking in HK15K to various agents in her home country for all kinds of 'unexpected' fees. we were basically held ransom to the local agents. After all the hoops were cleared, she finally came to HK. However, the paperwork was not in order and I was furious because her visa was not for 2 year period. How this had occurred is beyond me. I had to pay again to get all of that rectified. I could have done it myself but I just started a full time job. My advice - be prepared to sink in a lot of money for this transfer.

Also the fee quoted of HK$15K was just the processing fee. The air tickets, accommodation costs at the maids' training school etc are all separately chargeable.

Do you know any people from HK who brought their helpers to Singapore? Wondering if that’s also difficult. Any has any experience with this ??