Like Tree15Likes

Moving to HK soon (lost and need suggestion)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    i am here to argue. do not live in tsuen wan when you need to be in kowloon tong and aberdeen and want to minimize travel.
    Stop arguing and suggest something better for OPs criteria. Perhaps I agree with you.

Well if OP has to own a car and stay that far away from Aberdeen, would the Ma On Shan developments like Double Cove be better to stay at, while commuting via MTR to Kowloon Tong still be relatively convenient?

I imagine it would be much easier on the two kids, as well as create fewer dependency issues for transport to the MTR.

Personally I’d prefer to stay closer, but maybe best OP clarify what he means by “avoid living in the city” while, I paraphrase, “not minding not driving”.

There was more than one hint that the budget is less an issue than fulfilling the criteria anyway, so maybe the other posters suggesting Kowloon Tong were on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Stop arguing and suggest something better for OPs criteria. Perhaps I agree with you.
    i would live where my kids go to school. Kowloon tong. Yau yat Chuen or beacon hill. Ho man tin shan. Or near King’s park.
    East_coast, Elegiaque and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I seriously doubt you can go from Park Island to either Kowloon Tong or Aberdeen in less than an hour door to door. It also depends on the OPs tolerance for crowds and noise and possibly even a bit of sweating (ferry pier to MTR, etc.). The way the ferry pier is placed, it is 10+ minutes walk to the Central Line.
    my wife has been doing it everyday for 3 years so yes it is doable. (To Kowloon Tong)

Aberdeen if you get a taxi from the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    i would live where my kids go to school. Kowloon tong. Yau yat Chuen or beacon hill. Ho man tin shan. Or near King’s park.
    It's a tradeoff for the budget. 20-30K doesn't get you much in Kowloon Tong. 40 minute commute or their own bedrooms. I'd just ask my kids what they prefer. I commuted as a kid, didn't bother me. Got to eat ice cream on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojak:
    I have a follow-up question... is it common for children to take the MTR/ bus by themselves in HK? I am relocating from Singapore and its a common sight here for older children to commute to school by themselves.
    Yes, but often helpers/maids accompany them if they are very young.

Best thing when relocating is take a look at a map of Hong Kong. Mark where your office is and also where your children' future school is. Then you get an idea of where to look for accommodation. Using Google Maps, you can zoom into look at the nearest public transport links. I strongly advise that you rent a serviced apartment first or hotel nearby and look for permanent accommodation once you arrive, NOT before of beware of some unpleasant surprises. If you are really nervous, Crown and Santa Fe have people to help you find accomodation ( a friend of mine did this for Crown) .
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    . I strongly advise that you rent a serviced apartment first or hotel nearby and look for permanent accommodation once you arrive, NOT before of beware of some unpleasant surprises. If you are really nervous, Crown and Santa Fe have people to help you find accomodation ( a friend of mine did this for Crown) .
    Agree here . When we moved here we stayed for a month in the YWCA Kowloon Tong (cheap and cheerful room with basic cooking facilities- probably not for kids though) and in that time visited quite a few different houses/flats that colleagues lived in to get a feel of the place and their views. Travelling to them gave us a feel for the commuting experience too. We then viewed flats in a few areas before focusing on our present location. Easily done in a month.
    Eva C likes this.

Pokfulam Road!

I live in Pokfulam Road, quite near to Queen Mary Hospital, there are many apartment complex along this road, if u go to aberdeen by taxi, its around 10 mins, there are many bus and mini bus going to Aberdeen! It is also about 10 mins by car if u go to central! You can check out YY mansion, 96 pokfulam Road, or along this road!
    There are tons of bus and mini bus going to different area too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3