Like Tree24Likes

How are HK landlords with you bringing your pets over?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face How are HK landlords with you bringing your pets over?

Hi everyone, I have two sweet lionhead rabbits that my family and I are planning to bring with us to HK. The question I have is how does that usually sit with the landlords?My rabbits are NOT free roam but have separate sleeping quarters (DIY Ikea wood pens) and a big shared ex pen to play together. They keep to these spaces and are not destructive but every place I've seen online seems to have parquet flooring which makes me incredibly worried as rabbits are instinctive diggers and chew and scratch things. 😅 I am getting an estimate from a pet relocating service. My rabbits are rescues and I can't abandon them. I know some people might think I'm being silly but I just can't give them up. Our children love them too and it would be one more familiarity in a new place. Really appreciate any advice you might have. Cheers!

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Many buildings and landlords are fine with pets, but many more aren't. Rabbits would be unusual but I know one person who keeps one as a pet and it doesn't seem to get treated any differently to a cat/small dog by the building management.

You'll almost certainly pay very dearly for any damage when you leave as there's no meaningful protection scheme for deposits etc, so well worth investing in some protective coverings if you think they're going to start mining!

jess2377 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Many buildings and landlords are fine with pets, but many more aren't. Rabbits would be unusual but I know one person who keeps one as a pet and it doesn't seem to get treated any differently to a cat/small dog by the building management.

You'll almost certainly pay very dearly for any damage when you leave as there's no meaningful protection scheme for deposits etc, so well worth investing in some protective coverings if you think they're going to start mining!
    my experience is very different, very few landlords permit pets (dogs and cats) and some landlords might actually consider rabbits as food !
    In my view, it could be difficult if you declare them upfront, but really it would be no different to keeping fish tank, and never seen LL object to fish keeping.
    jess2377 likes this.

Don't mention you have a pet. The standard lease agreement that everybody uses doesn't mention pets. I have never had a tenancy agreement where they were mentioned and I've always had dogs.
    Pets are legally allowed unless they are expressively prohibited by the DMC (Deed of Mutual Covenant) of the development you are moving into. Your property agent can download a copy of the DMC for you. If they are not prohibited in the DMC it doesn't matter at all if they are prohibited in the house rules, or what your landlord thinks or if the home owners association prohibits pets. It also doesn't matter if they are rabbits or dogs of whatever size.
    Keeping pets has been established by HK case law to be part of the quiet enjoyment of private property. Additionally, even if they are prohibited by the DMC you can apply to the Incorporated Owners for permission to keep them anyway and permission shall not be unreasonably withheld. (Though the last part is probably difficult to fight if you are only a tenant)

jess2377 and HK_Katherine like this.

I would give your agent some pics of your rabbit setup to help alleviate landlord fears. I sent in a pic of my old cat, asleep, when asking for permission. Shows that you are responsible, the rabbits are contained, etc. I keep a hamster at work, never bothered to ask for permission. Yes, hamsters are small but also self-contained, like rabbits. Right now things are a bit more in the renter's favor, which means they may be willing to be a bit more flexible than a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure you can figure out a dig-proof floor covering. Also, many flats have ceramic tile floors, pretty sure your rabbits couldn't do any damage with that.

Just check on the whole pet import thing, not sure if rabbits get rabies innoculations or not but you want to get all your paperwork in order- I did the cat import thing- twice- you can save a bundle and do it yourself, just a lot of getting the permit and the health check, it's not that bad, most vets will know what to do.
    Good luck! Absolutely DO bring them, you will be glad you did...Mong Kok has many rabbit-supply stores along with fish, hamster, and other pet stores...

jess2377 likes this.

I disagree with mrgoodkat about not disclosing your pets. Definitely be up-front about them, but perhaps withhold details about what kind of damage they could do.

We got into a bit of trouble with our previous landlord. We disclosed that we were fostering, but eventually we did adopt, but somehow the whole "you must pay an extra deposit if you adopt" never proceeded (it was technically his fault). Then, a year later we got an upsetting email from him out of the blue saying that someone had informed him we were keeping cats now. He demanded a $40,000 extra deposit for our $20,000/month apartment. We negotiated claiming there was nothing in the concrete box our cats could destroy (except our furniture, which even that they didn't). Everything turned out ok in the end, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. We did have to pay a $2,000 cleaning fee to the LL on moving out.

The LL was concerned about all this partly because he was highly allergic to cats, which is a legitimate concern and yet another reason why you should be honest.

Our current LL was fine with us having cats and even paid to install screens in our windows. Just keep looking for the right property with an understanding LL so that you can have peace of mind. There are plenty of rental options, and like others said, there are plenty of options with hard tile flooring. You can find the right apartment for your needs.

PS -- most people won't have the slightest clue that rabbits could cause damage and will probably just think they look innocent. With dogs or cats they may have some prejudices. So you might be a bit more lucky you have cute, soft, cuddly rabbits. Btw, I do know some people who keep rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I disagree with mrgoodkat about not disclosing your pets. Definitely be up-front about them, but perhaps withhold details about what kind of damage they could do.
    That is an understandable opinion to have, but there is NO legal requirement to do so. And prohibiting pets after the fact is impossible. If your lease doesn't prohibit them, and most don't, there is nothing more to be said. It's one of your rights you have as a tenant. What's next, asking your landlord if you can have kids?

Thanks for that info! Yes I'm using a pet relocation service and I'm needing to furnish an address for them which we don't yet have as we are still looking around and haven't been able to come have a look due to the covid 19 situation. I'm also wary after all my effort to pay for a relocation service and get them over safely the landlord might give me a hassle. To clarify hubby was offered a job and my kids are 8 and 13. We will be renting a place for the next 5 years as we will not be moving to HK permanently. Though he is dual nationality for now our older son has compulsory national service when he turns 18.Thanks for your help. Hope I won't have trouble!😅🙏🙏

Thanks for that. Ya I really can't imagine not bringing them they are like our babies! And my hubby and boys love them too.

Thanks for sharing! They do look very innocent hahaha. Yes. The right LL is very important. We don't have much time to find a place once we get there. We will just do what we can. Hopefully we will find a good place with a good LL. I'll be speaking to my vet too cause I need to get their health checks and medical certificate prior to the relocation. Thanks for all the helpful info

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast