Like Tree30Likes

With all the political unrest and the way it is going is it a good idea to move to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I wonder what people would say if someone asked if they should go to Singapore?
    They would be less likely to be deemed an enemy of the state, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    As usual I can't believe the sheer level of pessimism from some people on here.

but your chances of being the one foreigner who gets made an example of for a tweet are on a par with your general risk of being randomly mugged and stabbed by some loon in a UK city.
    you're really not going to find your day to day activities constrained.
    ...A typhoon might kill you, a snake might bite you, you could catch whatever disease China will export next or dengue fever, you could be killed or injured in one of the many accidents that happens because of poor drivers and way, way, way down that list, you could get abducted in the night by chinese agents because you made a joke about China.
    How the heck can you know that? No one knows how the law will be used, and for example, the appointments of people like Luo Huining and Zheng Yanxiong, who have little to no familiarity with HK, mean we can expect more of a mainlandisation of HK.

Bitten by a snake or catching a disease -- we have statistics for that. Not really deadly or a threat in reality! But we don't have any statistics or information about the usage of this new law!

And about getting killed in a traffic accident -- I agree, that probably is maybe higher because of our poorly designed streets and the priority given to motor vehicles in densely crowded spaces. If only we could have good leadership to help redesign our cities to make them more safe for pedestrians....

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    How the heck can you know that? .
    I don't know nor does anyone here so you can fearmonger on what might happen or look around the world where expats live under regimes that are oppressive and evaluate the risk.

This website is full of insults, criticism of the government and CCP and support for protesters. If someone is that risk, it's the boss here and I haven't seen him run, close the site or restrict topics yet. The day he gets a visit about curtailing the revolutionary talk on this site, I might bat an eyelid. The day they start detaining foreigners that are not actively protesting, I might take notice. Until then, I classify it as fearmongering with zero evidence.

How do you know that China will not roll tanks in HK tomorrow? How do you know that there will not be death squads sent to hit on innocent citizens? You can't prove something that hasn't happened. Anyone can fan flames but at the moment there is zero evidence that it will affect the lives of people that are not politicized and I'm not even thinking of tempering my opinions for now. At worse, it's a wait and see for now...

Hong Kong has changed. Here are two videos from a couple of guys who had to flee China (I think a year ago?). They got out by coming to Hong Kong. I'm not sure if making the same trip now would help them. Quite sobering to watch them - a year ago, I would have just thought, 'that's China and it doesn't apply to Hong Kong'. Not anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7CPqROtanA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWgqdfAomVI

Pauljoecoe likes this.

I don't know nor does anyone here so you can fearmonger on what might happen or look around the world where expats live under regimes that are oppressive and evaluate the risk.

This website is full of insults, criticism of the government and CCP and support for protesters. If someone is that risk, it's the boss here and I haven't seen him run, close the site or restrict topics yet. The day he gets a visit about curtailing the revolutionary talk on this site, I might bat an eyelid. The day they start detaining foreigners that are not actively protesting, I might take notice. Until then, I classify it as fearmongering with zero evidence.

How do you know that China will not roll tanks in HK tomorrow? How do you know that there will not be death squads sent to hit on innocent citizens? You can't prove something that hasn't happened. Anyone can fan flames but at the moment there is zero evidence that it will affect the lives of people that are not politicized and I'm not even thinking of tempering my opinions for now. At worse, it's a wait and see for now...
    No one wants to live their life with those kinds of uncertainties when the risk is closed-door trials, extradition to China, and even life in prison.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Of course the risk is not necessarily higher than being an expat in the UAE, China or Thailand. But the law is broader than even the Mainland law and for most expats it's not priced in. Having to be careful what you say in public wasn't one of the consideration people had before coming here. The law kinda makes HK like China in that regard, while still being more than twice as expensive as places like Shenzhen or Shanghai, if not more.

And I disagree that your chance if being the random foreigner is that low. China doesn't have to overreact on the Mainland, (but as the Canadian Michaels show, they do sometimes), because most in China know the deal and won't challenge the government. Not so in HK, China needs a few high profile, heavy handed cases to make it clear it won't accept any challenge to its grip on HK. Easy enough to be the one unlucky foreigner who gets swept up. For example that one CIA guy everybody knows. Pissing off Junius Ho might be another way to get noticed.
    Wait, there was a confirmed CIA sighting that wasn't Jason Bourne?

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Wait, there was a confirmed CIA sighting that wasn't Jason Bourne?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...f-being-agents
    Mr Chips likes this.

Look up the difference between targeting and including... The primary reason that law was passed is to crush the protests and the political figures that are behind them. You can troll for an argument in a year IF there are foreigners that get arrested. I doubt there will even be one.
    Don't be so bloody naive... Hong Kong is as dangerous as China now... somebody doesn't like you? Anonymous tip to the plod and that yellow umbrella on your FB profile pic. will get you a fast trip across the border... Look it up, it happens in China all the time over things as petty as final salaries... they arrested a guy for holding a 'Free Hong Kong banner' the other day... the city is lost.

Here is the only question you need to ask yourself before coming to HK; Would I go live and work in China? Yes/No!

And then, if you answered yes, I suggest finding work in China... it's like HK but with cheaper and bigger houses, less overcrowding and less civil unrest.

Regarding what is or is not posted here, Shri sees it all, possibly before anyone else. Just coz you don't see certain threads started does not mean folks did not try to do so.
    There is bound to be more censorship on every level in HK now.

Mefisto likes this.

I wonder what people would say if someone asked if they should go to Singapore?
    You get arrested by secret police in Singapore and deported to...?? 🙄