Like Tree3Likes

Amazon equivalent?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Amazon equivalent?

Hi,

I am moving to Hong Kong soon and I am arranging what to bring out myself and what I can buy in HK.

Has anybody used Amazon UK account to ship to HK before? Is there an online website in HK for books, electronics etc?

I may need to buy some UK educational books in HK and I assume where these are available in book stores, these are presumably at a much higher price than UK?

Many thanks!!

Books: use Book Depository

General e-commerce: use HKTVMall but in general things are cheaper in store, especially computer equipment which is usually purchased from Wan Chai Computer Centre or Golden Computer Centre (Sham Shui Po). You can check prices on price.com.hk (a price with æ°´ next to it means the item is a grey import and is sold as is a.k.a no manufacturers warranty)

If you must use Amazon, we usually use Amazon US. Before the pandemic they offered free shipping over $49 USD.

B2HK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    If you must use Amazon, we usually use Amazon US. Before the pandemic they offered free shipping over $49 USD.
    This is back in action!

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Books: use Book Depository

General e-commerce: use HKTVMall but in general things are cheaper in store, especially computer equipment which is usually purchased from Wan Chai Computer Centre or Golden Computer Centre (Sham Shui Po). You can check prices on price.com.hk (a price with æ°´ next to it means the item is a grey import and is sold as is a.k.a no manufacturers warranty)

Book depository is owned by Amazon, the prices aren't cheaper now as they have aligned.

Thank you. So best to try Amazon US? I wonder if anybody has any English book store recommendations in HK, whether new or second hand? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghk:
    Thank you. So best to try Amazon US? I wonder if anybody has any English book store recommendations in HK, whether new or second hand? Thanks
    Try carousell. Heaps of second hand books on there. (many of them mine LOL).
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Book depository is owned by Amazon, the prices aren't cheaper now as they have aligned.
    Price for Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light on Amazon UK? £12.50 + £21.41 delivery
    Price for Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light on bookdepository.com from Hong Kong? $221 including global shipping
    Price for Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light on bookdepository.com from a UK IP address? £14.22 including global shipping

Picked a random book which was a) on the front page, b) hardback and c) from an author I'd heard of...

bookdepository

The price is different based on your i.p. address ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    bookdepository

The price is different based on your i.p. address ?
    Checked the same book today - $119.53 from Hong Kong IP address, £8.65 ($92.40 per Google) from the UK...

Isn't it normal to expect different prices for different locations as shipping fee's would be different for the company?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast